Buying TVs in Bangkok

patrick88

Hi all!

I intend to buy a TV to take back when when I visit Bangkok soon. I understand that there is some information out there about Pantip Plaza and Phahurat Area and Powerbuy. Could you give me some tips/suggestions to get myself a proper TV? Any tricks I need to watch out for? Any places that are cheap and trustworthy (I also need to claim VAT)? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you so much

Patrick

If it's cheap you're after, then you've come to the right place. If it's cheap products that have been dumped on a 3rd world country because they can't be sold anywhere else because they're crap that you're after, then you've come to the right place. It's a fool's paradise out there in the cheap shopping markets.

• Like 2

I bought my TV from Emporium in the Power Mall section. I'm told I could have probably picked it up for a couple of thousand Baht cheaper at Makro.

Where are you taking it back to ? They come in pretty big boxes these days.

I went for a 42 inch Samsung when I bought it about two or three years ago and it's worked perfectly since the day I got it.

Edited by ukrules

To take back where?

Any Tesco Lotus or 'The Mall' shops most reliable and very competitive prices IMHO.

Depending where you live, is it really worth the hassle?

Pantip Copy Plaza - be warned.

If the airport is anything to go by then my guess would be India, judging by the number of Indians with flatscreen tvs on their trolleys. Must be worth it or there wouldn't be so many. There are many posts on this topic over on TripAdvisor so check there to see where in Phahurat a lot of Indians end up buying their tvs from.

To take back where?

Any Tesco Lotus or 'The Mall' shops most reliable and very competitive prices IMHO.

Depending where you live, is it really worth the hassle?

Pantip Copy Plaza - be warned.

If the airport is anything to go by then my guess would be India, judging by the number of Indians with flatscreen tvs on their trolleys. Must be worth it or there wouldn't be so many. There are many posts on this topic over on TripAdvisor so check there to see where in Phahurat a lot of Indians end up buying their tvs from.

Yep, I see this all the time. My guesses..... they like ladyboys, and the prices are way too high in India, so they figure why not get a "deal" while in BKK (even though it can cost up to 2X the price as the US for example). Or alternatively, they have no clue and are just buying cheap, crappy TV's that will crap out in a month - but before then they tell all their buds how cheap it was so they all follow suit :)

Hi Strad. Just wondering what you mean by ungradable. I was in Makro Pattaya today and saw the LG 42LN5120. Doing a google, it Seems to be popular in South Asia and SEA, which made me wonder if it's one of those less appreciated models dumped on these markets like a lot of unsaleable products. Anyway, does ijt fit your description of ungradable? Cheers.