Spouse Visa For Uk

hi i am flying to thailand on the 28th april, my g/f and i intend to marry the following week, after doing all the running around required, i am now trying to sort out all the documents i need to bring with me, to help with her application for a spouse visa, which we should be summitting early may. i am returning to uk on 16th may. i have looked for hours on the forum and have read and re-read all information i can find on the british embassy web site. i was hoping someone could help me with this request, either by forwarding a link or by personal experiences. to help here are the details - i am 51 tuk is 45, we have known each other since december 2004, and have always kept in regular contact , with me visiting twice a year. i am self employed in the uk and have been for 15 years, i have my own flat, and financially secure, tuk has a small business in bangkok, with her brother, and is in the process of selling her house in bangkok, so she is ok money wise. any help would be apriciated, i would hate to leave something important behind. sorry to be long winded

You say that you have read the relevant pages on the embassy website and trawled through posts on here. So I assume that you already have a fair idea of what is required.

To save people from posting a long list of advice that you already know, can I ask that you briefly list what documents you already have?

Then we can say if anything is missing.

proof of visits - old passport.

copy of bank statements.

proof of accommodation.mortgage letter. council tax bill, solicitors letter

telephone bills, letters, cards etc.

my birth certificate.

vat registration. to prove self employed

sponser letter.

thanks for quick reply

Hi Steve,

I'd also include:-

1. Your marriage certificate.

2. Your last 2 years' accounts in order to show that you have sufficient income.

In addition, your missus will have to have the TB test done, too. Also make sure the evidence of your relationship covers the length of time you've known each other; i.e. make sure you supply some evidence from Dec 2004 to date.

Cheers,

Scouse.

tb test all done, letters and photos cover 2004 to date. i do my own accounts do you think copies of tax returns would do? tax man only sends a letter telling you how much tax to pay, (there has been no working out figures these last two years), i am trying to get information on-line. but it takes a week to register. thanks for you input

Your accounts, definitely. Even though you do them yourself.

Do you have copies of your SA returns? If not, then the tax statements you receive from the Revenue.

Edit, just re-read your previous where you ask if copies of the returns will do! Doh! Tax statements as well wont hurt.

At the end of the day, the ECO isn't going to think that you are over estimating your income to the Revenue!

Edited by GU22

Your accounts, definitely. Even though you do them yourself.

Do you have copies of your SA returns? If not, then the tax statements you recieve from the Revenue.

yes i do have copy of self assement form for 2004/2005, and a tax statement for 2002/2003. 2003/2004 is causing a problem as i have no copy of s/a and no tax statement. there were compiled in a hurry prior to making my first visit to thailand in december 2004, as ther have to be with the tax man by end of january.will try and get tax statement either by mail or on-line i will ring tax office tomorrow.

There are no accounts as the figures are worked out, then put straight onto s/a form, there is no need now to have accounts prepared, as was the case prior to s/a.

hindsite is a wonderful thing, if only i knew then, what i would need now!!!!

I assume that you have the figures you completed your SA return from?

I, too, am self employed and keep a simple ledger where I enter income and expenditure as it comes in/goes out. At the end of the year I total the various columns to enter onto my return. This was what I presented to the embassy together with a print out of my return (I file online) and my tax statements.

Going off at a tangent, I would definitely recommend filing online. Apart from anything else, you can complete your return on the deadline day and it will still calculate your tax for you. You then can pay it with a debit card. Much better to keep the money in my account until the very last moment, I think. See Self Assessment Online on this page.

I assume that you have the figures you completed your SA return from?

I, too, am self employed and keep a simple ledger where I enter income and expenditure as it comes in/goes out. At the end of the year I total the various columns to enter onto my return. This was what I presented to the embassy together with a print out of my return (I file online) and my tax statements.

Going off at a tangent, I would definitely recommend filing online. Apart from anything else, you can complete your return on the deadline day and it will still calculate your tax for you. You then can pay it with a debit card. Much better to keep the money in my account until the very last moment, I think. See Self Assessment Online on this page.

i have registered for on-line s/a tonight, i was hoping to download copies of form sa302, tax calculation,but it takes a week for them to send an Activation PIN, so i might be able to get the information prior to leaving on the 27th, if not i hope i will get it once in thailand. this years april 2005 sa 302 has no calculations, it only how much i have to pay and when they want it by, last years went missing i had changed address, they say they sent it but i never got it, at the time it wasn't important, so i never bothered to get a replacement, but of course it is now.

I have done a years bank statements to try and prove how much i have comming in.

many thanks for your input

further to the above do you think it would be an idea to try and prove my income, to supply copy of all invoices for the year, if so how many years do you think would be ok

many thanks steve

i do have copy of self assessment form for 2004/2005, and a tax statement for 2002/2003. 2003/2004 is causing a problem as i have no copy of s/a and no tax statement.......this years april 2005 sa 302 has no calculations, it only how much i have to pay and when they want it by, last years went missing i had changed address, they say they sent it but i never got it,
They basically only want the last two years, but as 2003/4 is missing I suggest supplying 2002/3 and 2004/5, with a letter explaining the situation. If you have any correspondence from the revenue regarding the missing statement, then include that and if you can cross reference to a bank statement showing the tax payment, so much the better.

I wouldn't supply copy invoices at this stage, but include in your letter that they are available if the ECO wants to see them.

As you (hopefully) have your bank records covering the period, then this should be sufficient.

i do have copy of self assessment form for 2004/2005, and a tax statement for 2002/2003. 2003/2004 is causing a problem as i have no copy of s/a and no tax statement.......this years april 2005 sa 302 has no calculations, it only how much i have to pay and when they want it by, last years went missing i had changed address, they say they sent it but i never got it,

They basically only want the last two years, but as 2003/4 is missing I suggest supplying 2002/3 and 2004/5, with a letter explaining the situation. If you have any correspondence from the revenue regarding the missing statement, then include that and if you can cross reference to a bank statement showing the tax payment, so much the better.

I wouldn't supply copy invoices at this stage, but include in your letter that they are available if the ECO wants to see them.

As you (hopefully) have your bank records covering the period, then this should be sufficient.

Thanks for all your input, i wasn't thinking of supplying proof of income, just bank statements, so im glad i started the thread off, i have a week to sort something out proof of income wise. i do all accounts on my computer so i can print out a copy of income/expenditure for them, with a copy of either s/a or tax statement. i pay tax as i go on the cis 18% scheme, so no proof of tax paid in one lump sum.

Steve,

The embassy requires self-employed sponsors to produce their last 2 years' accounts but, strictly speaking, they can't make this a prerequisite of a visa being issued. Asking for the accounts just makes their lives easier. Bear in mind that the immigration rules do not stipulate that accounts have to be submitted; just that adequate finances are available to maintain the applicant and spouse. Therefore, any proof of income should be acceptable. If the embassy were to refuse an application on the grounds that no accounts have been submitted, but other acceptable proof of income has, the decision would be flawed and open to challenge.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Steve,

The embassy requires self-employed sponsors to produce their last 2 years' accounts but, strictly speaking, they can't make this a prerequisite of a visa being issued. Asking for the accounts just makes their lives easier. Bear in mind that the immigration rules do not stipulate that accounts have to be submitted; just that adequate finances are available to maintain the applicant and spouse. Therefore, any proof of income should be acceptable. If the embassy were to refuse an application on the grounds that no accounts have been submitted, but other acceptable proof of income has, the decision would be flawed and open to challenge.

Cheers,

Scouse.

hi scouse

been onto tax office today and they are sending on last two years tax statements, showing earning etc. and i think those with the accounts i have should be ok.

many thanks for your help