Legal responsibilities/liabilities of sponsor

Hi, my gf is about to apply for a UK tourist visa.

Most of the application is pretty straight forward, but financially I can't prove that I can support her during her stay, and her financials are not up to the job!. My father is willing to be her sponsor but he is concerned of any legal risks/liabilities to him by being her sponsor if (you never know!) things were to go wrong.

I don't think that it will be a problem, but quite rightly he wants to cover his bases!

Your father is not the sponsor; you are. He is simply offering financial support and, I assume, accommodation.

Whilst he has to provide evidence of his ability to do so and a letter confirming his willingness to do so; if he subsequently changes his mind than UKV&I cannot pursue him on the matter.

Although him doing so would be a significant change in your girlfriends circumstances and so invalidate her visa.

But that would be her problem, not his.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Your father is not the sponsor; you are. He is simply offering financial support and, I assume, accommodation.

Whilst he has to provide evidence of his ability to do so and a letter confirming his willingness to do so; if he subsequently changes his mind than UKV&I cannot pursue him on the matter.

Although him doing so would be a significant change in your girlfriends circumstances and so invalidate her visa.

But that would be her problem, not his.

Brilliant 7by7, thanks for the clarification :)

Hat's off to you. I've been reading through some of the threads on TV and you've helped a lot of people out. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Save your money.

I would say the visa application has a slim chance,at best.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As 7by7 said, ummm why?

I've got friends who have also done this approach and had no problems - in fact, it's from their experience that I'm pursuing this course.

Oh, and 7by7, thanks for the link. I actually came across it shortly after posting this thread. Great information!

Edited by natb19

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give you guys an update.

My gf got her UK Visa last week, and will be coming over here at the end of November. Thanks again for your help.

Interestingly she messed up a bit when she went for the interview/hand in the forms, because she forgot to give them both the original and the copy of the files (not sure which one she actually gave them).

Either way, all is good!

For anyone else applying, read these forums, follow the good advice and cover the three main principles:

1. convince them that they will be financed
  2. convince them that you have a legit relationship
  3. convince them that they have a reason to return at the end of the visa.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Save your money.

I would say the visa application has a slim chance,at best.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

when I took my now wife to the UK for a holiday, She did not have a Job or a lot in the bank, 3000baht, she got a Holiday Visa first time.