Flying Cathay from LAX/SFO - Premium Economy

st11x

Hi,

I just realized that Thai has canceled its premium economy service from LAX, was hoping to catch that flight to Chiang Mai later this year.

I normally go via EVA, but that's 2 stops to get to CNX. Also depending on your schedule, you may be flying economy from BKK to TPE on the return.

Just discovered that Cathay does the route via HKG without needing to stop via BKK and they have the premium economy service. How does it stack up against EVA?

The leg from HKG to CNX is operated by DragonAir or just codeshare with them? Does it have the premium economy service on it?

I am bringing my dogs too, so the less stops the better.

thanks

Matt

I love Cathay.

Dragonair are part of Cathay; last time I checked the connections for the Chiang Mai flight weren't sensible, and pricing was high too; this may have changed.

Being a smaller regional carrier, I doubt they have premium eco on the HKG-CNX flight. (Most don't offer premium eco even on HKG-BKK). However that's a 2.5 hour flight, so less of an issue than the big jump between the US and Hong Kong.

Another airline to look into is Korean Air; they too fly direct into Chiang Mai.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I love Cathay.

Dragonair are part of Cathay; last time I checked the connections for the Chiang Mai flight weren't sensible, and pricing was high too; this may have changed.

Being a smaller regional carrier, I doubt they have premium eco on the HKG-CNX flight. (Most don't offer premium eco even on HKG-BKK). However that's a 2.5 hour flight, so less of an issue than the big jump between the US and Hong Kong.

Another airline to look into is Korean Air; they too fly direct into Chiang Mai.

+1... I've used the JFK - Seoul - CNX Korean Air service both ways for several years now, and one of my daughters is coming in on Korean Air from Washington, DC at the end of this month,

It's not the cheapest way to go, but it's certainly the most convenient if you live in Chiang Mai. You completely avoid Bangkok, and the Cobra Swamp that lies outside it.

They have an office at CM Airport and I've always found them to be courteous and efficient. The food on the flights could be better, in my opinion, but that's my only complaint.

From SFO, Korean has good timing coming into CNX, but the return is not so good. Cathay is the reverse, the return is better.

EVA has to go through BKK.

I might just break it up and pay the extra to fly Korean in Cathay out. It's better for the dogs too.

thanks

Matt

I love Cathay.