Moving To Thailand

Hello all,

I will be moving to Thailand at the end of May for a period of 2 years possibly more (work), I have never been to the country before and all my knowledge of it has come from the Lonely Planets which as you all know caters more for tourists than residents!!!

Can people tell me any really useful info they have picked up over the years living in Thailand, i.e do's/don't's and pretty much everthing I will need to know in order to get by!

Thanks for your time

Firstly, on behalf of all the Mods and members, welcome to Thai Visa.

Apologies for the juvenile responses so far. The little suckers can get in quick.

It would useful from our side if we knew a l little more about you. What type of work is bringing you over. Expat package or have you accepted a job locally. All of this makes a difference to the type of advice offered.

We have a wide variety of people here who can provide the information you need, but if you could be a bit more targeted with your questions, it would be good.

It's a troll had a job offer staying there for 2 years or more and never been to the country oh yer as if :D:D:o:D

It is perfectly possible for someone to come and work here without having previously visited.

2 years is the standard contract period in hotels for example and in an international hotel chain one can transfer to a hotel in Thailand without having to travel here for interviews. I know because I did it.

Whatever happened to giving the benefit of the doubt to newbies? We were all newbies once.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question I would say that (at a minimum) it is worth while to read up on as much Thai history and culture as possible prior to getting here. Remember that a smile goes a long way in case of misunderstanding and above all pace yourself during the introductory period. Take the time to learn about your co-workers and understand the subtle interactions and signs that will pop up around you.

Be prepared to be laughed at and to laugh at yourself.

the hoot is the 20 minuter remark came from someone NOT in Thailand?

American are you ?

Do you know who Catpain Slackbladder is ?

Do you know what ' 20 minuters refers to?'

And why is it a ' Hoot' if I post from my work in Tokyo, as opposed to one of my homes in either Loei or Pattaya ?

Answers on a postcard please. :o

Edited by Maigo6

Thank you for some good ol' common sense!

I'm going to be working with an American Company working in the trade industry. Forgive me but I won't disclose the Company name for my own reasons......

I wouldn't have thought a lot of Americans would know about the dashing adventures of Captain Edmund Blackadder...... oh and i do know the 20 minuters aren't the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corp!!!!

It's a troll had a job offer staying there for 2 years or more and never been to the country oh yer as if :D:D:o:D

It is perfectly possible for someone to come and work here without having previously visited.

2 years is the standard contract period in hotels for example and in an international hotel chain one can transfer to a hotel in Thailand without having to travel here for interviews. I know because I did it.

And for all international school teachers .... must be 1000's of them (and their familes) living in Thailand who came without ever visiting the country first!!!!

My best advice is to read up on the culture, especially what is and isn't accepted in Thailand, traditions, cultural norms, etc. e.g. pointing your foot at someone is disrespectful, visiting a temple wearing singlets (vests) is not appropriate, etc. Also, if you are going to be working closely with Thai people, perhaps you might want to do some research on that. There is a book about it which I think might be called 'Working with Thais' (could be wrong) that talks about things like Thai employees often nodding their heads and agreeing to things then walking out the office and doing the opposite, etc. Doing some research on prices of things (e.g. rent) will help you stop being ripped off when you first come. Also, once you get here, learn some basic Thai. Most people manage to learn 'taxi Thai' which is important if you want to get where you want to go without being taken the 'scenic' route! Try and befriend a Thai colleague as soon as possible as their help as a translator will be needed. So many other things you could do to prepare, but you will mostly learn it all when you get here.

Edited by sylvafern

American are you ?

And why is it a ' Hoot' if I post from my work in Tokyo, as opposed to one of my homes in either Loei or Pattaya ?

Answers on a postcard please. :o

Beer again?

American are you ?

Answers on a postcard please. :D

Beer again?

No.

So judging by your post, is it safe to assume you have no idea as to who or what we refer to?

I'm still waiting for that postcard. :o

bugger all useful info so far, not sure if this is going to help:

you are comming at the hotest time of the year and man it is hot!

bangkok is not suitable for human life to exist but somehow they manage it. mega fun, mega trafic.

if you are getting a western salary you will be rich by thai standards

the girls are awesom

the night life is awesom (bkk)

the country is beautiful (outside kbb)

people are mostly nice (at least the ones that don't frequent this forum) and reasoably honest

if you have to leave eventually, it will be the worst day of your life.

My advice ? Spend some time reading through the thousands and thousands of posts written on this site, having to do with pretty much every aspect of living in Thailand.

Also, read through the hundreds and hundreds of posts from people like yourself, with the same questions, that have been answered hundreds and hundreds of times.

It seems we get this question at least once a week. I've personally spent hours and hours answering them, as have others. Sometimes I get the impression it would be a lot easier if the person asking the question would just hire me to set him/her/them up here. Probably be quicker than replying time after time about rent vs own, cost of utilities, transport, culture, things to do, 110/220, where to live, ect, ect, ect.

It's because of these repeated posts on the same subject, over and over again, that some people take a jaded view when ever another post shows up.

I think I'll make up a "form reply" to this question that I can cut and paste. I could spend the time to review all my previous posts and find my previous replies, but I'd rather go trim my toe nails :o

Great advice from Kerryd above to search on specific topics. Here are some ideas.

I’d been to Thailand half a dozen times before I came to work and live about a year ago. I’ve found the work and life here great. In particular I’ve really enjoyed working with Thais. My team is great and we have a lot of fun.

Read, read; Wondering into Thai Culture, Culture Shock Thailand, Bridging the Gap, Working With Thais, etc. Search Amazon and you’ll find them. Read them all. There was a thread on Books on Thailand the other day – lots of good ideas there. Even good fiction – something like Letters from Thailand gives you some perspective on the history and culture.

Get a Thai mentor(s). I have someone who was introduced to me that now we have lunch and dinner every month and he coaches me on understanding doing business in Thailand. Also really use my Thai peers and staff to help me. Take a little thing like email and when to use Khun FullName versus Khun NickName versus Nickname or Full Name without Kuhn. When and why of Wais. Understanding manners and ranks. All of that.

If you are single and do want to meet Thai women there a lot of interesting, well educated and very fun women to do things with who will be eager to do things with you. In the vast majority of cases they, like American women, like you to pick up the tab and show them a good time but in my experience there hasn’t been the sort of gold-digging you might think reading this site. Maybe they are looking for a relationship, maybe not. But I’ve had really great experiences and had have established some nice friendships.

I personally don’t live around Suk and enjoy being in a more Thai neighborhood without so many expats, tourists, bars, etc. Follow the BTS route north and there are lots of options that are still quite convenient and central. But maybe you like all that, it’s really a personal decision.

The American Chamber of Commerce has a number of events – social and networking. As to the other Chambers. They can be good to meet people and network. If you’re in trade you might connect with the trade office in the Embassy. Some good guys over there.

Learn to speak some Thai. Take lessons and just make that weekly lesson part of what you do. A little Thai goes a long way and you’ll be glad you did. It’s not easy but it can be learned to help you get around and have some fun.

Relax and enjoy Thailand. There are people here like everywhere; good & bad, honest and dishonest but in the almost 40 countries I’ve been I have to say the Thai’s are just a wonderful group, nice, fun, easy going, hard-working. Leave some of your American attitude behind, go softly, listen and watch, have some patience and you’ll have a wonderful experience.

Lastly ignore the useless replies on Thai Visa. The signal to noise ratio here is not good but when you get through the noise there are some good people and helful info on living and working in Thailand. Filter out the rest.

Good luck and have fun,

I don't know what "20 minuters" refers to. :o

Would you care to enlighten me please?

I don't know what "20 minuters" refers to. :o

Would you care to enlighten me please?

Ok Slacky,

20 Minutes was the average life expectancy for a new Pilot in the Royal Flying Corps during World War One.