Scanning Slides In Bangkok

grahamb

Does anyone know a shop that will scan slides onto a CD? I've got some 30yr old slides that I'd like to take digital but I don't want to spend the time doing it with my own flatbed scanner and don't want to go out and buy a slide scanner just for this.

Our local photo shops can't handle slides. Eastbourne in Emporium (3fl) say they can scan slides but when I took them in, they said they could not handle that size (I didn't know there were different sizes of slides).

Thanks for any suggestions :o

Does anyone know a shop that will scan slides onto a CD? :o

I just started investigating the cost of transferring my slide collection to cd. My collection of 2500 slides is now in the US and some are over 40 yrs old.

There is a Fuji Film/Digital Imaging place on Sukhumvit between Soi 24 and Soi 26 (Emporium side of Suk) that will transfer them. I checked this week and he wanted 20 baht per slide to copy to cd for 1000 slides. He told me that was his discount price. He has been fair on prices of other things (ie copying mini DV to DVD) however I think this is high for Thailand.

I can get the same thing done in the US (Old-Photo in Madison WI) for about 39 cents a slide. (about 16 baht per). The US prices start at 50 cents per slide and includes minor dusting and some photoshop cleanup. I have found other US places that charge $1 per slide. Volume will affect your price. They were very responsive to some email questions I had and will get some transferred this summer when I travel in the US.

Anyway, closer to Bangkok, I am going to check out some places near Ramkamhaeng Uni. where there are a lot of photo and copy shops. I did photo enlargements pretty cheap in that area in the past. They might do the same for slide tranfers (could be the cheap pool of student labor).

If I find anything there that is cheaper I will post it. If I don't post back within a few weeks, PM me to remind me.

Edited by farangene

Anyway, closer to Bangkok, I am going to check out some places near Ramkamhaeng Uni. where there are a lot of photo and copy shops. I did photo enlargements pretty cheap in that area in the past. They might do the same for slide tranfers (could be the cheap pool of student labor).

I misspoke and meant near Kaset Sart University out towards the airport.

I checked out "Master" Photography opposite the Kaset University campus (tele 02-941-1161, hours from 8am to 9pm). Their prices are the same as those quoted at Sukhumvit Fuji near Soi 24-26. 20 baht per slide for 1000 slides. Their lower volume/higher rate is 30B per but not sure of the volume where 20 baht kicks in. It would help to bring someone who speaks Thai at the Kaset U location.

Also, the counter girl said that the reason for the high cost is because they have to remove each slide from its slide cover to scan it. She also suggested making a picture of the slide (5 baht) and then scanning and converting them at 20 baht per. I am sure in the states, they use a more automated approach to scan the slides.

If you find any place with better prices, please post it.

• 1 month later...

I suggest you try IQ Lab. There is one on Silom in the ITF building near Chongnonsi station. There is another location on Ekamai, also not far from the BTS.

As for price, I cannot say. But I am a professional, as are they. IQ Lab uses a top end Durst Sigma film scanner, a machine that costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $15,000 USD.

Additionally, IQ employs people who know a thing or two about image scanning, color, density, and so forth. I have had good luck with the scans there.

More impressive than the scans are the digital prints. They use a Durst Lambda machine, probably the best pro printer on the market. The prints are made in a traditional wet process manner, but the machine uses lasers on the photo paper rather than an enlarger. Basically this is how all minilabs make digital prints, but they use crappy gear and have staff who do not know how to use them. I have been using Lambda for my professional digital output and have been completely impressed. (and I'm picky!)

So net-net, IQ Lab will not be the cheapest around, but they are a real lab.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...
I suggest you try IQ Lab. There is one on Silom in the ITF building near Chongnonsi station. There is another location on Ekamai, also not far from the BTS.

As for price, I cannot say. But I am a professional, as are they. IQ Lab uses a top end Durst Sigma film scanner, a machine that costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $15,000 USD.

Additionally, IQ employs people who know a thing or two about image scanning, color, density, and so forth. I have had good luck with the scans there.

More impressive than the scans are the digital prints. They use a Durst Lambda machine, probably the best pro printer on the market. The prints are made in a traditional wet process manner, but the machine uses lasers on the photo paper rather than an enlarger. Basically this is how all minilabs make digital prints, but they use crappy gear and have staff who do not know how to use them. I have been using Lambda for my professional digital output and have been completely impressed. (and I'm picky!)

Cheers,

Mark

I have been archiving images in digital format since around 1999 on a professional basis. Most of the work i do involves 35mm film, different film sizes usually require a more high end scanner. The cost also depends on how you want the images to look, many places will use scanners which do not have digital ICE, leaving your images convered in dust which would take hours to clean in photoshop.

If you have black and white film it is impossible to auto clean the junk from the slide when scanning as Digital ICE does not work with black and white film due to the silver in the film. I can give you a quote for archiving your collection, I charge very reasonable rates, e-mail me if interested.

cheers,

Cheers,

Mark

I go along with IQ Labs being the best.

Though not cheap.

It all depends why you want to scan and what you will be doing with the scans.

Cheers