Phuket Opinion: Relegate jet-ski dangers to the past

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Relegate jet-ski dangers to the past
Phuket Gazette - Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:18:00 AM

phuketnews_How_times_have_changed_from_a

How times have changed - from a phasing out of all jet-skis in Phuket launched in 2004 to the number nearly doubling by 2013. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: It is time that the provincial government consider phasing out the jet-ski rental industry that has brought so much ill-repute to the island.

The latest tragedy involving a jet-ski and a foreign tourist came last weekend, when 27-year-old Chinese visitor Shen Baocheng was rendered comatose after his rented jet-ski collided with a parasail speedboat in Patong Bay .

The accident came just a few days after provincial authorities held a two-day seminar with some 80 “legal” jet-ski operators, urging them “to provide better services and improve safety” for the sake of Phuket’s teetering reputation as a safe tourist destination .

That seminar largely paid lip service to recent demands by the European Union (EU) and the government of the People’s Republic of China, both of which have called on the Thai government to do something about the industry, which is an endless source of complaints lodged by foreign tourists.

In comments made last June, EU Ambassador to Thailand David Lipman listed problems in the jet-ski rental industry as one of four key tourism-related issues in Phuket that EU countries would like to see addressed .

Some readers might remember back to late 2003, when a serious effort to gradually phase out jet-skis was initiated by then- governor Udomsak Usawarangkura . Under that plan, a complete ban on new jet-ski registrations was ordered in the hope that as existing jet-skis suffered wear and tear and eventually became inoperable, their numbers would gradually be reduced. A complete ban was scheduled to go into effect in March 2011.

If only the Governor’s Office had stuck to the plan. Unfortunately, and for reasons never clearly explained, Gov Niran Kalayanimit in 2007 opted to allow jet-ski operators with old vessels to register new ones, thus ensuring that reports of scams, accidents and other bad news involving jet-skis continue to this day.

Fortunately, Mr Shen snapped out his coma and will not be listed among the foreign tourists who lost their lives from operating a rented jet-ski on the island. More fatal tragedies are virtually guaranteed, however, under the current status quo – even if the compulsory insurance scheme is strictly enforced and operators try to do a better job.

A Phuket Gazette poll indicated that a majority of readers in every demographic would like to see Phuket free of rented jet-skis . We agree: in addition to all the safety issues, they are noisy and even exacerbate traffic problems on land when their operators tow them back home at the end of the day.

Jet-skis do have a role to play on Phuket beaches, but that role should eventually be limited to helping swimmers in distress and other rescue efforts. It is highly unlikely that many tourists see the opportunity to operate a jet-ski as a compelling reason to travel to Phuket, but it is likely that their presence here is one of the factors causing potential tourists to choose rival destinations.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Relegate-jet-ski-dangers-to-the-past-22183.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-08

It is amazing to me how a small group of people has been able to continue this pseudo-legal business for so long when they create so many problems in the media. (FYI, anyone operating a Thai registered boat, including jet ski's, in Thai waters is required to have a Thai captains license) The amount of money they must be passing on to officials must be astronomical. Which means that it's the corrupt officials that are directly responsible for all the scams. How else can the jet ski operators make enough money to pay them off and and still make enough to keep operating?

• Like 1

It is amazing to me how a small group of people has been able to continue this pseudo-legal business for so long when they create so many problems in the media. (FYI, anyone operating a Thai registered boat, including jet ski's, in Thai waters is required to have a Thai captains license) The amount of money they must be passing on to officials must be astronomical. Which means that it's the corrupt officials that are directly responsible for all the scams. How else can the jet ski operators make enough money to pay them off and and still make enough to keep operating?

This is why the scams are so prevelent and the amounts charged for "damage" are so high. They have to kick upstairs to keep operating. I can think of a few different agencies offhand that come into mind. Marine Police, Bibs, and the local gov't ( hello Mr M).

I recall reading a month or two back where a group got scammed and had to pay money for the jet ski to be out of the water for "repairs" and these people saw the jet ski in the water the next day looking just like it did the day they got scammed. I seriously doubt these skis ever really get repaired and are out of the water for 3-5 days

i think "legal" is pushing it - how many pay tax i wonder ? i would say zero - so in essence they contributeb nothing to Thai society or the economy and give Thailand a bad name and reputation - time to get rid off

To many officials make handsome returns to crackdown on it and it definitely will never be regulated. They have been pissing in the wind and telling us it's raining for god only know how many years and will continue to do so. Larry Cunningham fought against them for at least 8 years and there were always promises that they will look into it and nothing was ever done.

• Like 1