New Zealand Man Shot Dead In Pattaya

hm1973

Someone dies and all you can do is argue - PATHETIC

This is a forum, where people discuss issues of the day, and sometimes argue. That's the nature of a forum.

So because someone is killed, you suddenly want everyone to agree with each other, just post comiserations and go away?

Topics are posted to be discussed, argued about, joked about or whatever turns you on.

If you don't understand that, I don't understand what you are doing in this forum.

BTW I didn't see you contributing much to the discusion. What do you thinkabout a guy getting shot in Payttaya? Or don't you have any views?

with so many foriegners now dabbling in land purchase for development and resale , and with so much ''easy" money to be made from such business , the surprising thing is that there are not more land developing foriegners shot by thais.

tourist resorts such as phuket , pattaya and samui are traditionally owned, run , operated and controlled by thais , and they will only "allow" outsiders a certain amount of business in those areas.

any overstepping of the mark will end in tears.

factor in some jealous ex lover and a local police chief whos hands are probably tied and you have all the makings of yet another stephen leather novel.

didnt some motorcycle bloke attempt to make a sieve out of a developer on samui last year ??

with the high profile that some of these developers maintain , its not surprising that thai feathers are ruffled to the point of madness. i saw a brand new porsche in hua hin recently , covered from spoiler to sills in neon dayglo advertisments for some development or other , as if 10,000 roadside billboards arent enough.

a very very deep understanding of thai rural culture should be deemed necessary for anyone attempting big bucks business in this country. but getting that through the insensitive heads of many expats here is well nigh on impossible.

i am not in any way implying that this new zealander was like that , but thais seem to see us as all the same.

r.i.p. to the new zealander.

this is yet another sad story from one of the more "popular" resorts in thailand.

tourist resorts such as phuket , pattaya and samui are traditionally owned, run , operated and controlled by thais , and they will only "allow" outsiders a certain amount of business in those areas.

this is yet another sad story from one of the more "popular" resorts in thailand.

Why don't you mention 'your' own Hua Hin area? Always bashing on other Thai tourist-places...except 'your own' Hua Hin, right?

So there are no Thai (tradionally) operated-and-controlled tourist resorts in Hua Hin?

Have a look on the developments in Hua Hin... :o

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=hua+hi...nG=Zoeken&meta=

hmmm...not popular? Hua Hin?

LaoPo

a very very deep understanding of thai rural culture should be deemed necessary for anyone attempting big bucks business in this country. but getting that through the insensitive heads of many expats here is well nigh on impossible.

A very good post, and one with which I completely concur.

Speaking from personal experience, I have seen farang developers here in Pattaya behave in the most outrageous fashion when dealing with Thais. I have seen Farangs shouting blue murder at their construction workers, and even threaten them with violence. Shouting alone is enough to have a disaffected worker put a bullet in him. Then I have seen them arguing volubly with obviously mafia type rivals, and sub-contractors who owe them money. And these farangs can't speak a word of Thai but just rant and rave and swear in English. Then I have seen farang buiders argue with and swear at the officials form the OR BOR Tor office - people who hold a lot of power and have their palms greased to grant building permissions etc.

I have even tried to warn them, to be more careful how they behave with Thais, and get a Thai to act as an itermediary if they have a problem. But they know best - the 'duck and dive mob' from back home aint scared of a few puny Thais.

Like Tax Exile, I'm not saying the New Zealand man fitted into this catagory, but hopefully there is a lesson to be learned here for all farangs doing business with locals.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

actually lao po , if you read my post you will find that i did make a disparaging remark about a development there. but development in hua hin has a long way to go before it reaches the levels found in samui or pattaya.

a few tall condos on the front put up before height regulations were introduced wont turn the town into a benidorm.

in the future it may very well turn into another samui or pattaya , nobody really knows what the future holds for any of the developing resorts in this country , the thais do have a habit of ruining everything (aided and abetted by foriegn developers) but i believe that the authorities there are more in control of what is put up than in other places , there is also a royal presence in the town , with a real affection for the area , and that in itself is a an influence against too much development.

lao po , if you want to open a thread about how terrible you think hua hin is , was , or will be , then just go ahead and do it.

i'm sure a vigorous debate will ensue.

actually lao po , if you read my post you will find that i did make a disparaging remark about a development there. but development in hua hin has a long way to go before it reaches the levels found in samui or pattaya.

a few tall condos on the front put up before height regulations were introduced wont turn the town into a benidorm.

in the future it may very well turn into another samui or pattaya , nobody really knows what the future holds for any of the developing resorts in this country , the thais do have a habit of ruining everything (aided and abetted by foriegn developers) but i believe that the authorities there are more in control of what is put up than in other places , there is also a royal presence in the town , with a real affection for the area , and that in itself is a an influence against too much development.

lao po , if you want to open a thread about how terrible you think hua hin is , was , or will be , then just go ahead and do it.

i'm sure a vigorous debate will ensue.

I would be the last to do so, why would I ?

It was just an answer to your negative posts about other Thai tourist places.

But enough has been said, here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=65534&st=60

Just think about it.

LaoPo

gosh !

i'm flattered that you keep my posts well catalogued and so readily to hand.

enjoy your day on samui , i have to go out and fight the traffic jams , the non stop construction traffic terrorising the only road , the corrupt police force , the mad mafia gunmen , the denuded hillsides , the turd strewn beaches , the blaring advertising vans , the potholed roads and the screaming low flying jets of benidorm. wish me luck.

My condolences to his friends and family.

There is some good advice on this thread about doing business in Thailand. I was involved in a business venture some years back that was doing quite well--nothing big, just an expanded hobby type of operation to earn a bit of extra cash. There were two of us (foreigners) and the other guys girl friend (who handled some of the business and negotiations with other Thai folks).

It was interesting that once we started doing quite well--and there was nothing overt about the business doing well--no new cars etc. We got a visit from a policeman. Everything was in order, but the message was clear that someone didn't like the foreigners making money. Eventually, sold the business.

My advice is to take care, make sure you know what you are doing, keep a low profile etc.

I knew the guy..... We went to Koh Chang together in November, with our partners.

A very genuine nice guy, I can't believe what has happened to him.

If you were to no him, he was a great guy, who could speak fluent Thai,

and always spoke politely to Thai,s and Falang alike.

This is very sad.