FIRE TRUCK TRIAL
Arrest warrant issued for exminister Pracha

Kesinee Taengkhieo
Thanatpong Kongsai
Anupan Chantana
The Nation

30214611-02_big.jpg

Court acquits Apirak and exministers Bhokin, Watana in fire vehicles case

BANGKOK: -- FORMER DEPUTY interior minister Pracha Maleenont was yesterday sentenced in absentia to a 12-year prison term on graft charges for his involvement in the Bt6.68-billion procurement of a huge fleet of fire-fighting vehicles for the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in 2004.

A senior BMA official was also found guilty of similar offences under an act against bid rigging on government projects.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions voted in its final ruling to dismiss similar charges against then interior minister Bhokin Bhalakula, then commerce minister Watana Muangsook and then Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin for insufficient evidence.

Samak Sundaravej, who preceded Apirak as Bangkok governor, was also indicted by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), but he died in 2009.

The justices, reading the guilty verdict in the absence of Pracha and Athilak Tanchookiat, who was sentenced to 10 years, said they found that the two men jointly violated Articles 12 and 13 of the 1999 law regulating purchasing procedures, following |their efforts to award the contract to |Austrian manufacturer Steyr-Daimler-Puch Spezialfahrzeug AG & Co KG, without allowing other tenders.

Pracha, who oversaw BMA affairs at the time of the purchase, and Athilak were instrumental in activating a special purchase process meant to benefit Steyr-Daimler-Puch, the court found.

"This is against the principle of fair competition and transparent bidding, besides violating the law," the ruling said.

Arrest warrants have been issued for Pracha and Athilak, the second and fourth defendants, for missing yesterday's verdict. Pracha did not attend last month's session, so the court rescheduled the verdict and sentencing to yesterday. The court forfeited Pracha's Bt2-million bail.

Athilak was a police major-general who served as head of the BMA's Fire and Rescue Department at the time of the purchase.

The justices said the Bt6.68 billion paid to Steyr-Daimler-Puch was 48.77 per cent higher than the reference cost under the purchasing criteria of the Interior Ministry's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation for locally assembled vehicles and equipment of identical specifications.

Yesterday's ruling is another landmark decision against corrupt politicians. Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Vatana Asavahame were convicted for conflict of interest and corruption, respectively, and have fled overseas.

The 315 small and large fire engines and 30 fire-fighting boats are still parked unused at Bangkok Port and Laem Chabang seaport in Chon Buri after their shipment to Thailand, even though the BMA finished paying the

Bt6.68-billion project bill in nine instalments. The vehicles have been seized as evidence for the NACC's criminal investigation.

Sitthichoke Sricharoen, the key NACC prosecutor, said the court's issuance of an arrest warrant for Pracha in particular was lawful, because he failed to explain the reason for his second absence yesterday.

Sitthichoke said he had learned that Pracha had obtained court approval for travel to Hong Kong and Macau on July 31, with a promise to return to Thailand on August 6, when the court set the first verdict session.

"I personally believe that Pracha will not return to Thailand, and may now be in Europe or the US, and that he will not be arrested, although the legal period to enforce the arrest is 10 years," he said.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said the BMA's legal team was seeking through arbitration to get the Bt6.68 billion refunded from Steyr-Daimler-Puch. He declined to comment on yesterday's ruling, saying that his statements could affect or influence the arbitration process. Apirak, now a Democrat Party MP, said he thanked the court and was monitoring legal action against him and all other defendants for their joint acts that resulted in all the fire equipment being seized and remaining unused. He also declined to comment on yesterday's ruling or his political future.

NACC member Vicha Mahakhun said the NACC had done its best on the three acquittals and that it was waiting to see both Pracha and Athilak brought to justice.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-11

Why do they waste tax payers money with these dog and pony shows....

A Thai 'hi-so' will never go to jail, they always get granted bail while their lawyers appeal against the sentence... This case will drag on for years until the statute of limitations expires...clap2.gifcrazy.gif TIT...

• Like 2

You really have to love the Thai Justice system especially when it comes to the elite.

Here is a guy who is granted permission to leave the country by the very court who is about to hand down a hefty prison sentence. Now they don't expect him to return to Thailand in the next 10 years.

That about covers it and now we can expect the system to be moved up into top gear to bring him back.

• Like 1

I wonder if the warantee is still current on the new firetrucks that have only been parked for 10 years. Just when does a 3 yr 100000km warantee start?

At least now whe may have some fire trucks on the streets to fight fires even if they are old ones.

Edited by harrry

The 315 small and large fire engines and 30 fire-fighting boats are still parked unused at Bangkok Port and Laem Chabang seaport in Chon Buri after their shipment to Thailand, even though the BMA finished paying the Bt6.68-billion project bill in nine instalments. The vehicles have been seized as evidence for the NACC's criminal investigation.

Letting Bt6,68 billion rust at a seaport for 10 years + storage fees, should be considered criminal as well.

It would be interesting to see what state they are in today, but I guess there's not much chance of any members of the Thai media trying to get a picture.

The 315 small and large fire engines and 30 fire-fighting boats are still parked unused at Bangkok Port and Laem Chabang seaport in Chon Buri after their shipment to Thailand, even though the BMA finished paying the Bt6.68-billion project bill in nine instalments. The vehicles have been seized as evidence for the NACC's criminal investigation.

Letting Bt6,68 billion rust at a seaport for 10 years + storage fees, should be considered criminal as well.

It would be interesting to see what state they are in today, but I guess there's not much chance of any members of the Thai media trying to get a picture.

After 10 years of sitting in Thailands weather, acid rain, and a salty air environment, I am guessing they look only slightly better than this.

31wtc2.583.jpg

Apirak resigned as Bangkok Governor the moment he was charged; even though he was not guilty. Can anyone on this forum name anyone in Dr. Thaksin's circle to do the same? I'm hoping Apirak stays in politics as he has proven to have integrity which is in short supply in the current ruling party.

Big difference from being found not guilty to getting off due to insufficient evidence and justice system bias.

He wasn't charged by the junta led Assets Examination Committee, resulting in a slew of complaints about alleged malfeasance.

Allegedly he pocketed over B500 million thanks to the deal, which he claimed he was forced to continue because the previous Bangkok governor Samak signed off on it.

I personally like the bit about them trying to arbitrate a refund from the company supplying this kit....good luck with that....what's the next one on the list dodgy airport x-ray machines at Swampy wasn't it ?

Cannot get a refund on the bomb detectors....they work they say.

Apirak resigned as Bangkok Governor the moment he was charged; even though he was not guilty. Can anyone on this forum name anyone in Dr. Thaksin's circle to do the same? I'm hoping Apirak stays in politics as he has proven to have integrity which is in short supply in the current ruling party.

Big difference from being found not guilty to getting off due to insufficient evidence and justice system bias.

He wasn't charged by the junta led Assets Examination Committee, resulting in a slew of complaints about alleged malfeasance.

Allegedly he pocketed over B500 million thanks to the deal, which he claimed he was forced to continue because the previous Bangkok governor Samak signed off on it.

Do you have ANY PROOF at all of what you have just written or is it just another page from Dr Thaksins little red book?

Or as they say where I come from.

Put up or shut up.

Yes a pretty nasty piece.

It really is senseless to accuse the verdict as 'justice system bias' as those acquitted are from both sides of Thai politics.

Is it my imagination, or have some posts gone missing from this thread since this morning? I just popped back here to show my wife the great "thumbs-up picture of Pracha, but I can't find it whistling.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667012-bangkok-fire-truck-trial-arrest-warrant-issued-for-ex-minister-pracha/page-2?p=6812266#entry6812266

I personally like the bit about them trying to arbitrate a refund from the company supplying this kit....good luck with that....what's the next one on the list dodgy airport x-ray machines at Swampy wasn't it ?

Why don't they try to get the money back from the guys that took it and are sentenced for it. I think that would be much more fair else that company is paying double.

But i doubt this will ever happen it might set a precedent and all the corrupt government officials can't have that. Especially Mr T.

No one has mentioned it yet so I will.

This is the guy that as then Deputy Interior Minister led the infamous raid on Q Bar in Suk Soi 11 during the "Social Order Campaign" (circa 2004-5). Everyone there was locked in for drug tests. When a hundred odd foreigners tested negative they were bussed en masse to Lumpini Police Station, further detained then fined for not carrying their passports despite their being no law requiring them to do so.

Agreed. I always felt that he might be the future leader of the Democrat party, and potentially the future political leader of this country. A young man of the highest integrity who did not hesitate to resign his post when he was alleged to have been involved in wrongdoing. I hope he is rewarded with a senior position very soon.

• Like 1