Thai Airways chairman confident in standards, pilots

webfact

THAI AIRWAYS
Thai Airways chairman confident in standards, pilots

The Nation

30214597-01_big.jpg
Backhoes are brought in to Suvarnabhumi Airport as part of the effort to salvage the aircraft. Machines removed dirt from around the wheels so the Airbus A330-300 aircraft could be removed. The salvage operation was scheduled to be complete within 48 hour

Thai Airways International chairman Ampon Kittiampon says he remains confident in the airline's safety standards, and in the capabilities of the captains of its airliners despite the accident on Sunday at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"An investigation is under way," he said yesterday.

"We operate about 30 Airbus A330 aircraft, but the one involved in the accident was about 17 years old. Though it was the first generation of the series, the plane is in good condition and it has been used to serve regional routes no more than six hours in distance. The plane has been routinely maintained, and THAI's captains are all the best."

He added that THAI would do its best to take care of all passengers and crew, in line with international standards.

After the accident with Flight TG679, which carried 288 passengers and 14 crew members to Bangkok from Guangzhou, China, the airline has experienced a variety of criticisms. On social media, some passengers said the crew were the first to leave the plane. Ampon said it could be true that the passengers were not taken care of on a one-by-one basis. However, he promised good care for all of them, including two who remain in hospital.

All luggage retrieved after the accident could be picked up from yesterday morning.

The airline also faced criticism over the covering of the aircraft's logo after the accident, with some wondering whether the airline had tried to hide something. THAI later said in a statement that de-identification had long been a normal practice in such incidents.

Ampon also said the airline had followed international protocols in its handling of the accident.

These demand that three parties are involved in the salvage - the airline's technicians, officials from the plane manufacturer, which is Airbus in this case, and Airports of Thailand, which operates Suvarnabhumi Airport.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-11

So it has been used for regional routes 6 hours or less. More pressurisation cycles more ups and downs. As far as I am concerned an aircraft is an aircraft and standards of the condition should be the same whether the plane flies regularly only between DMK and BKK or whether it flies New York to Sydney.

An old well maintained aircraft may be less economical on fuel as a new one but should be kept as safe.

"Thai Airways International chairman Ampon Kittiampon says he remains confident in the airline's safety standards, and in the capabilities of the captains of its airliners despite the accident on Sunday at Suvarnabhumi Airport."

He said as boarding a Singapore Airlines flightcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Good, his company's staff and procedures are just fine.

Now all he has to do is sort out his own mouth and explain to Star Alliance why he lied about a non-exist group wide policy which had to be retracted and amended to a Thai Airways policy. Of course he may not feel obliged to explain anything to a bunch of foreigners.

And he will get an assist from the Thai press and the government, because no one will ever follow up on the deceitful remark and misrepresentation of Star Alliance's policy. A rogue partner in Star Alliance is a very negative thing for Star Alliance. The covering of the Thai logos and aircraft serial number by this rogue alliance partner causes more damage to the Star Alliance brand than anything this airline executive said to misrepresent the alliance's policy. It's tampering and misrepresentation, clear and simple.

Nail well and truly hit on the head and an oh so Thai way of doing things.

Now all he has to do is sort out his own mouth and explain to Star Alliance why he lied about a non-exist group wide policy which had to be retracted and amended to a Thai Airways policy. Of course he may not feel obliged to explain anything to a bunch of foreigners.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

It's the foreigners fault again, if they weren't on the plane, this wouldn't have happened. Same principle with everything else in this country relating to foreigners, if you weren't here, you wouldn't have had any problems, ergo it's all your own fault, nothing to do with us.

• Like 1

From all I've read so far, there's no question the flight deck crew performed well. Got it. No need to keep highlighting the positives to detract from what might be valid concerns elsewhere.

Re: painting the logo over. Anyone with a TV or internet connection already knows what happened. Photos out there prior to painting over already, so frankly, all it seems to accomplish is highlighting Thai management trying to downplay the obvious after the fact. What does it really accomplish? There's still a banged up airliner, painted in obvious, recognizable Thai livery. The black areas of paint actually make it stand out. A proverbial "black stain" on the reputation of Thai Airways. Spreading whitening cream over it might be better. giggle.gif

I don't have a problem with Thai circling the wagons a bit on injuries. I wasn't there, obviously, but this could of been a lot worse. Being that it wasn't, there is quirk in some folks when involved in an incident with a large company where fault, real or imagined, can possibly be assigned. Some may be inclined to grab their necks in "pain", thinking they might get a few Baht out of the company in the end.

I do not see what the problem is AOT and Thai Airways are run by personnel appointed by the the government, they are politicians, By being a politician in the ruling party you are qualified to run an airport or an airline., why is it you do not understand. coffee1.gif

The thing I can't understand is why, up to now anyway, they've missed such an obvious home run: The plane was built by foreigners! It's an Airbus. Made in, you know that place, what's it called, next to Montenegro .... Europe. Case closed, move along.

Yes, particularly since the Star Alliance logo (located near the cockpit window) was left for all to see.

• Like 1

All luggage retrieved after the accident could be picked up from yesterday morning.

Sure, you paying for the taxi ride, both ways? Nah, don't think so...

and just yesterday, there was an article stating all luggage would be delivered. Guess they changed their minds.

Hiding the logo is common practice worldwide, and I remember many similar cases with other airlines.

No big deal. But when THAI does it, you'll never hear the end of it.

The point is that images will circulate everywhere. It is about the visual association of a crashed plane and the logo that airlines want to avoid.

It is about communication. Not about escaping responsibility or concealing facts.

Edited by peterbkk9
  • Like 1

It's good that he is confident, but maybe the other thousands of foreigners are not so confident following the blatant lies from yesterday. I am glad I am booked onto a Cathay flight next week.

Edited by mrtoad

THAI's captains are all the best

He should've just said THAI's are the best.

Indeed. If the chairman of a prestigious organization like Thai Airways makes a definitive statement i.e. Thai's captains are all the best, then he must be able to substantiate. He is not saying they are of an excellent standard but asserting they are "the best" i.e. better than all the captains from other airlines. If this translation of what he actually said is correct then Mr. Chairman should be able to explain how he knows this. The other airlines will be most interested.

Hiding the logo is common practice worldwide, and I remember many similar cases with other airlines.

The point is that images will circulate everywhere. It is about the visual association of a crashed plane and the logo that airlines want to avoid.

It is about communication. Not about escaping responsibility or concealing facts.

Irrespective of whether its only thai or other airlines that are doing this....it is about communication, but think for second what exactly its communicating when an airline covers up a logo or name to the customer...they are tying to distance themselves as a brand from the accident, therefore it is a form of concealing the "facts" ....if an airline is so quick to cover up their branding, one must ask what else do they cover up ?

These are general statements not directed specifically at Thai per se

Please provide the links to the evidence to support your statement that "hiding the logo is common practice". I've never seen this in over 35 years of considerable flying. Whilst that doesn't mean it is not happening, it does suggest its not common practice.

Please provide links that detail air line, country, airport and instances where this "common practice" occurred.

I have no time for that. But I know this is something other airlines do. This can be verified with Google.

Please provide the links to the evidence to support your statement that "hiding the logo is common practice". I've never seen this in over 35 years of considerable flying. Whilst that doesn't mean it is not happening, it does suggest its not common practice.

Please provide links that detail air line, country, airport and instances where this "common practice" occurred.

I have no time for that. But I know this is something other airlines do. This can be verified with Google.

Why don't your have time, you gave your position, but now don't have time to back up your position

• Like 1

Why don't your have time, you gave your position, but now don't have time to back up your position

I can make some search later but my point is this is not the first time this happens.

Ok it is not something you see often. So I should not have used "common practice".

I can make some search later but my point is this is not the first time this happens.

Ok it is not something you see often. So I should not have used "common practice".

But covering up shit actually is "common practice" in Thailand isn't it?