Whats up with Thai Chinese being dominant in business and education?

michaeltheR

What's up with all the *insert group here* dominating any particular business/field/sport? There are probably plenty of reasons, both politically correct and otherwise completely rational and logical.

In a nutshell, try watching a (no doubt mostly Thai-Thai) motorcycle taxi queue spend its day. There's a lot of napping involved, almost always involves lots of drinking at the end of the day... and very little reinvestment of whatever is earned during each day.

smile.png

According to several experts in TVF, apparently, some family they call "Rothschilds" controls everything. Are the Rothschilds Chinese?

Oh, how I love these labelling threads.

Let's come up with fanciful theories when a simple dose of reality doesn;t answer the need to weave a fantastic tale.

In a world with over a billion Chinese and a lengthy history of emigration, it would logical to expect that the number of commercial enterprises to reflect the Chinese demographic. There was a time when the Chinese were heavily discriminated against and steered away from certain trades and professions. As a result, they gravitated to those opportunities where they were allowed to work. This path of opportunity model is found with other groups who have migrated or been persecuted.

• Like 1

According to several experts in TVF, apparently, some family they call "Rothschilds" controls everything. Are the Rothschilds Chinese?

Oh, how I love these labelling threads.

Let's come up with fanciful theories when a simple dose of reality doesn;t answer the need to weave a fantastic tale.

In a world with over a billion Chinese and a lengthy history of emigration, it would logical to expect that the number of commercial enterprises to reflect the Chinese demographic. There was a time when the Chinese were heavily discriminated against and steered away from certain trades and professions. As a result, they gravitated to those opportunities where they were allowed to work. This path of opportunity model is found with other groups who have migrated or been persecuted.

King Rama VI learning how rich and influential Chinese immigrants had become, reportedly said "the Chinese are the Jews of Asia"

PS I clicked your like button by mistake.

I deal with Thais every day and it's really not obvious to me who is Thai and who is Thai Chinese. How can you tell? Certainly not by the name. Are you assuming all light-skinned Thais are Chinese? Because that would be an erroneous assumption.

Certainly not by name?

Just check how many Wong, shin, or Lim or sae are part of surnames.

One of the most recent large migration of Chinese that spread throughout se Asia was in the 50's many of those people settled in Thailand and married Thais who had Chinese heritage as they began having children the migrants changed their sir names to a Thai name rather than the traditional Chinese name such as long or Wong.

What's up with all the *insert group here* dominating any particular business/field/sport? There are probably plenty of reasons, both politically correct and otherwise completely rational and logical.

In a nutshell, try watching a (no doubt mostly Thai-Thai) motorcycle taxi queue spend its day. There's a lot of napping involved, almost always involves lots of drinking at the end of the day... and very little reinvestment of whatever is earned during each day.

smile.png

What a load of rubbish.

The drinking is all day long. biggrin.png

(1) Chinese immigrants were forbidden from carrying out manual work such as farming, so they entered commerce instead. Some families beccame obscenely wealthy and then bought up much of the land in the country.

(2) Whilst there's no definitive way to tell a Thai-Chinese from a native Thai family name, one pointer is the length of the name; Thai-Chinese family names tend to be very long, having been translated from a Chinese original.

I deal with Thais every day and it's really not obvious to me who is Thai and who is Thai Chinese. How can you tell? Certainly not by the name. Are you assuming all light-skinned Thais are Chinese? Because that would be an erroneous assumption.

Well, when speaking with customer my wife immediately asking which kind of Chinese they are....and than they discuss which Chinese ethnic they are.....so they recognize each other.....

You want to know who owns what in Thailand, look at who closed for business during Chinese New Year.

Have to agree with that one. If we don't stock up on material and supplies for the factory before Chinese New Year my guys end up sitting around with nothing to do as pretty much every supplier is closed. That must be a good indication of the amount of business ownership that Thais of Chinese descent have in this country.

It's all the rich Chinese families who fled China during Chairman Mao. And rich parents leads to rich child.

That's my completely unresearched opinion.

Not quite. The Bangkok docks were teaming with 1st gen. immigrant Chinese laborers in the past. Just like the same way that Indian Thais used to make up a majority of peon security guards. You don't see hardly any of either now because most moved up like George and Weezy.

smile.png