Frozen Cod - Tough/Chewy

Lazy Sod

I sometimes buy the frozen cod from Villa but it is often tough, tried baking and frying, but it still has the same tough/chewy texture.

Looked online and one cause of tough fish meat is freezing and refreezing (which I don't do).

Any tips to make it soft? Or any sources of better quality cod in BKK?

The wife buys some very excellent, delicate white fish from Lotus (not in the frozen section). I always thought it was cod but I certainly could be wrong. Don't really care as it is some of the best white fish I have had. When it's on sale you can get it for 100 baht per kilo.

" ... but it still has the same tough/chewy texture."

That's what we call "cod al dente." biggrin.png

I just bought some cod from Friendship that was excellent. I dipped it in egg and then seasoned flour and given a fairly quick pan fry and it was flaky & tender... nothing that required extra chewing. They have the more expensive filets and the slightly cheaper cod loin. I used the latter.

In the past I have encountered some white fish from Friendship that was definitely chewy, so it's probably less to do with the seller and just a matter of getting lucky one time and not the next. I have bought fish, especially the red snapper, from Central Festival. It's been good, but sometimes the strong fishy smell is a little off-putting. Not sure if it's how it was packaged, but even some of the beef and pork I've bought there seems not as fresh as what's usually available at Friendship or even Big C south.