6 nights in Phuket, where to stay and what to do?

pbd1971

Hi to you all, having a short stay in Phuket this coming November and was looking for a few pointers regarding resorts and days out.

We have never been to Phuket before and we are looking for a relaxed and quiet (ish) resort to stay. We are not bothered about flashing disco lights and loud music so hopefully someone can point us in the right direction as to what part of the island to stay. We are not looking for 5 star luxury, just after a quiet, friendly and clean place close to the beach.

Also, if anyone can recommend places to see or things to do during the day apart from relaxing on the beach of course, that would be great too. I think it is possible to do day trips on boats to some of the remoter islands? That would be great, if anyone has experienced these it would be good to hear about them too.

Many thanks

Do some additional research and come back with specific questions. Patong is the center of things and it's crowded, crazy and fun. Karon and Kata are south about 15 km. Kamala is north about 15 km. All are great destinations and trips anywhere are available from all these places.

A vague answer to a vague question.

Do you have your heart set on Phuket? There are a lot of problems there in the main tourist centers, concerning safety, transport, and other things. I used to visit phuket each time I visited thailand, but I have not gone there in about 5 years because of the vileness there. I now go to krabi or koh chang, I'm sure there are many other places even nicer and more unspoiled, but I have not explored that much.

• Like 1

I haven't been for a few years now, but the sea canoe day trip was one of the most memorable things I ever did. Just make sure you go on the original one (google it) as many other operators jumped on the bandwagon and aren't so environmentally minded.

The scams and ripoffs are rife, as noted by others here. Add to that major construction in many parts of the island, including the reconstruction of the most important intersection of the island roads. The latter has been underway for over a year now resulting in horrendous traffic jams trying to get into Phuket town. Just as that one is winding down an identical one on the next highway intersection north toward the airport is scheduled to start at year-end. Cannot endorse a visit here at all.

i live here an love it ( After 25++ years)

Kamala is 8 kms north of Patong, Layan Beach ( towards the ariport) 15 kms, Karon beach is south 5kms an Kata beach is 8kms, Phuket town east is 12 kms

Visit the aquarium, take an elephant or horse ride, swim, rent a motorcycle and take a ride along the coast north and south of Patong, Soi Bangla in Patong at night and dont get stuck up by the Katoeys, Visit Promthep cape for sunset, deep sea fishing, diving, Kan Eang 1 or 2 in Chalong for fresh seafood, Layan Beach, visit Wat Chalong, a walk around old town in Phuket town, shopping at Central and or Junk Ceylon, sea canoe trip thru the 'Hongs" and the list goes goes on and on.

as to the scams, rips off, muggings etc etc, i would say 99.999% of the people that visit phuket love it and have a great time otherwise why would over 50% return?

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

Do you have your heart set on Phuket? There are a lot of problems there in the main tourist centers, concerning safety, transport, and other things. I used to visit phuket each time I visited thailand, but I have not gone there in about 5 years because of the vileness there. I now go to krabi or koh chang, I'm sure there are many other places even nicer and more unspoiled, but I have not explored that much.

We had thought about Krabi but don't know much about it. We have booked flights from Udon to Phuket but looking at the map, I think it would be possible to divert off to Krabi. Do you know if there is transport down to Krabi from Phuket Airport? Also, are there plenty of beach resorts/accommodation around Krabi?

Many thanks.

Maybe a little naive of me to not realise the potential problems with Phuket. I am not the most seasoned traveller and do not have the best understanding of the problems that one encounter in Phuket so could any of you point out these potential problems scams that one may encounter and how to avoid them?

Many thanks

Phuket isn't very nice. It's been totally spoiled by overtourism, and aggressive and unfair practices by taxi mafia especially. It's a place where you will be overcharged for everything - food and transport are more expensive than Bangkok.

Tourists who stay at resorts and have tours arranged for them don't notice much of this, and maybe don't care, if they are on a prepaid package.

But an ordinary budget traveller will have a better time elsewhere. Want to take a 10 minute ride to the next beach? Be prepared to pay 400-600 baht (£8-12), and be treated with open contempt or aggression if you try to bargain. It's not a place with a warm friendly vibe.

Pay 2-300 baht for food you could get at a street stall in other places for 50B. Some of the beaches, eg Karon, had rivulets of raw sewage running down them when I was there last. Patong is all girlie bars and thump thump music, and if you are not seeking that, has precious little else.

Some of the island visits and snorkelling tours are certainly good, but there are nicer destinations with snorkelling and better beaches elsewhere, that could cost you half as much.

Maybe a little naive of me to not realise the potential problems with Phuket. I am not the most seasoned traveller and do not have the best understanding of the problems that one encounter in Phuket so could any of you point out these potential problems scams that one may encounter and how to avoid them?

Many thanks

Phuket is fine. It seems to be one of these places that polarises opinion because it has developed so quickly and has attracted some of the wrong kind of people and doesn't feel like the 'real' Thailand any more. If you don't want crowds and noise, keep clear of Patong. If you don't want rip offs, keep away from tuk tuks or tailor shops. There's a lot to do and see in Phuket and it's environs. You can have a look at it on youtube and google street view

• Like 1

We had thought about Krabi but don't know much about it. We have booked flights from Udon to Phuket but looking at the map, I think it would be possible to divert off to Krabi. Do you know if there is transport down to Krabi from Phuket Airport? Also, are there plenty of beach resorts/accommodation around Krabi?

Many thanks.

In Krabi, I always stay at ao nang beach. It's easily reached from the airport for a modest price. There are many very nice hotels and resorts near to the beach, I have stayed in several nice places for about 60 US a night, within a 5 minute walk of the beach. If you do go to phuket, avoid jet skis and tuk tuks, as has already been mentioned. First time I went there, I stayed in phuket town, and each day rode a cheap transit to a different beach each day to swim. I don't know if this transit still exists, it was only about 25 baht, i think. It was basically a pickup truck with two benches in the back. One day, I made the mistake of staying in patong after 6 pm, the cheap ride no longer was running, and I had to take an expensive taxi back to Phuket town. The high point of my trip there was a day trip to a small island off the southern tip of Phuket. I forget the name, I think it was something Noi. It was cheap, less than a thousand baht, I think, and the island had sparkling white sand, and clear water with lots of coral. There were no jet skis or any of that lkind of nonsense, just a quiet and very beautiful beach and lagoon. You would be well advised to avoid Patong, it is populated by many not so nice people, and full of crime.

Kata (as above) is about the nicest main beach, with dead-end Kata Noi just to the south from there really nice.

For Krabi, taxis are around 2-3k to Ao Nang (Krabi's main beach) from Phuket Airport. You can also get a ferry across from Chalong (southeast Phuket).

Kata (as above) is about the nicest main beach, with dead-end Kata Noi just to the south from there really nice.

For Krabi, taxis are around 2-3k to Ao Nang (Krabi's main beach) from Phuket Airport. You can also get a ferry across from Chalong (southeast Phuket).

Ferries leave from Rassade Pier, not Chalong.

Thanks very much for all the info, really helpful. We have now put a rough plan together and are looking at probably staying in Phuket (Kata Beach) for 2 nights and then take a ferry across to Ko Phi Phi for a couple of nights and then finally another ferry across to Krabi for the final 2 nights and then back to Phuket Airport by bus/taxi. Quite a bit of hopping on and off ferries so maybe we will skip Ko Phi Phi and go straight to Krabi and then do Ko Phi Phi as a day trip from there.

Thanks.

couple of nights in Phi Phi?? WHY?

the ferry only runs after the moonson season ends,( usually early Nov) so hopefull it will by the time u wish to take it

All ferries run every day all year long, except for maybe a day or 2 when the weather is too bad.

I like Phi Phi and the area, very relaxing and like to spend a night or 2 there.

Patong is ok if you don't mind the crowds. If you want to get away from it all, it isn't your place. There is one street that I know of with girly bars.

Phi Phi is nice. I haven't spent the night there, but have visited a couple of times. Will be trying Krabi next month.

But honestly, don't let this alarmist drivel about Phuket being full of scum put you off going. Say you're going to Bangkok, Samui or Pattaya and you'll get similar responses, but might enjoy it. Personally, I hated Chiang Mai, but people on here rave about it.

• Like 1

Patong is ok if you don't mind the crowds. If you want to get away from it all, it isn't your place. There is one street that I know of with girly bars.

Phi Phi is nice. I haven't spent the night there, but have visited a couple of times. Will be trying Krabi next month.

But honestly, don't let this alarmist drivel about Phuket being full of scum put you off going. Say you're going to Bangkok, Samui or Pattaya and you'll get similar responses, but might enjoy it. Personally, I hated Chiang Mai, but people on here rave about it.

Good post IMO.

Except that I like Chiang Mai, except for the food, really prefer the southern food.

Edited by stevenl

Phuket can be nice also, not just for the girly bars... Check out Nayharn beach and Laem Sing beach. Very nice! The first beach is about half hour from Patong, but is really nice and less crowded. It's my favorite. The other one is much closer. Rent scooters and explore! Do the bungy jump if you're daring. The zoo is also kind of cool, except they're kind of cruel to the animals. Theres this one restaurant which is really cool, it's in the middle of the water and they have life fish swimming around. You choose the fish you want to eat, they catch it and cook it up for you! Enjoy.