Ride from BKK to Chiang Mai

cgphuket

Hello TV members. After four years in Thailand I am going to have to move to another country for work for the next several years and realize I have not seen enough of Thailand. I am considering riding my bike (CBR 250) from BKK to Chiang Mai and back for a holiday. Has anyone done this trip? I am comfortable driving in Thailand and have driving as far as Phuket to BKK on same bike before. I am wondering if the route is nice or if there is a scenic route that is not too far out of the way. Any advice is appreciated.

BKK to CNX is more like work than play...its one long boring ride.

If its in budget, just come and rent a CBR 250 in CNX and start from here.

Youll spend about 2000 baht in fuel going back and forth anyway. (1600 baht if you stay under 130 kph)

If you want to do the ride Bkk To CM turn off to Plok then you can turn off on a back road that will take you to Theon then from there the 106 to Lamphun then along the river to CM. I will need to check the map for the highway number out of Plok. I will get back to you on this very nice ride though.

• Like 1

The ride is fine, if you make an effort to get off the highway. I ride to Mae Sot on a regular basis and take a route that keeps me off the highway all the way from Suphanburi.

In summary, I head west just short of Suphan town and then north through Don Chedi, Baan Rai, Mae Wong, Wang Chao then Mae Sot. Once at Wang Chao the scenery is much better and you could use the main roads for the rest of the trip. If you have time, ride to Mae Sot, then Mae Sariang. From there you can chose around the loop or East to Hot and Li, then head North again.

I am heading to Mae Sot between now and the 23rd - actual date undecided, but more likely this week. If you want to join me, drop me a PM.

Ride safe, and have fun.

• Like 1

If you want from Plok take the 12 highway to the 101 to the 1048 this will put you into Thoen. Pickup the 106 in Thoen the 106 picks up across the road from the 1048. The 106 will take you to Lamphun cont. on the 106 into chiang mai or pick up the superhighway or take the river road into CM.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for he advice guys. I will pull out my maps and plot the best route. I figure two days to get up there. Now i am trying to get a custom, temporary luggage rack fabricated for my CBR so I can strap my bag to it and not have to carry luggage on the gas tank (Wife will be joining me in CM and riding back with me). WIll let you know how it goes.

The road is finished - the last time I rode it was just before it was complete. Love this road... most of this clip is that very road biggrin.png

i say petchabun - nan - phayao - chiang mai.

perfect roads for riding.

From petchabun to nan, make sure you take the 1339 including the ferry crossing. Good roads, no cars

Yes, the road is finished. I went to Nan during Songkran this year on it. The restaurants on the other side of the ferry crossing have fantastically fresh and tasty fish.

Haha, I bet your bananas must have been roasted in that tank bag of yours!

My bananas were rather warm, but consumed at the restaurant on the reservoir...

Yankee, I hope you mean the ride to CM sucks, 'cause if you don't like the 1339, then you're a different kind of biker from many of "us"

Sent from my LG-P714 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app