U.S. citizen cant afford his visa anymore, options please...

If he lives in aranyapratet, he can just cross the border every 15 days.

Yes that is an option I suppose but he is recovering from cancer and is far from good health. But the biggest drawback of the 15 day border run is the amount of room it will take up in his passport, even if it is currently empty I think it would fill up quickly.
E-visa,saves space.

Yes, I do the e-visa myself but would you really want to do a border run every 15 days for the rest of your life?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is most likely getting Social security from the US which is now little over 45,000 thb a month. He could go for the marriage extension.

Not everyone gets that much per month , I believe he cannot even pay the 1900B for the application , is what I thought his friend meant....

almost 80posts all of which are mostly has he or hasnt he got any funds,but there has been no mention of the wife and the part she is playing in all this.we all know when the tough gets going the going gets tough and they or most dont like it and will walk away if her standads drops.so it would be a bit of comfort if the op.can let us know is she[wf] looking after him because thats what he needs right now.there is no sympathy in this country when it comes to farangs so if he has any mates they should try and help him out by the way of a ticket home unless he has no one there.

Don't worry, he his being well looked after by his long term wife in their lovely home, he has a good income coming every month, don't know how much exactly,

I never said in all my posts that he couldn't afford the application fee of 1900bht, don' know who dreamt that.

He hasn't got the 800000bht for his retirement visa so I am asking for options.

Hello all. friend of mine is a US man aged 66 living in Aranyaprathet and married to Thai national. He was on a retirement visa but due to illness and the hospital costs he cannot afford the visa. Can anybody suggest his options please. Thanks in advance, John

.....................................................................................................................................................

Option 1 ....You help him out........Lend it to him.

option 2 .....Let him be sent home

AND THE REWARD FOR THE LEAST USEFUL POST GOES TO....

lot of great visa solution advice...

however

not much getting into the real problem here, i think.

if someone, for whatever reason is down to his/her last 27.000$ (800.000thb) as saving to show it up, or might have even larger problem if 400.000 is trouble as well....

then the real thoughts should go not in visa solutions, but moving back to USA, where at least he wont left starving, as there will be some charity taking care of such, not likely option here for a down on luck, poor farang.

as some said, Thailand isnt a place to be with no money, especially for foreigners!

Living on SS in the USA means abject poverty for most retired persons. At least in Thailand, with SS payments, he can have roof over his head, eat three times a day and watch Thai TV. His only benefit in living in the USA would be Medicare, which isn't saying much.

Isn't saying much?? I pay #500 a month for medical insurance, 200 medicare and 300 secondary insurance and my Thai wifve had aortic valve replacement and we didn't pay anything out of pocket.

Unfortunately, he'll probably have to leave. I think he may be able to petition the local immigration office for a waiver based on his health condition but they tend to frown on foreigners who are unable to support themselves.

Don't know what's unfortunate about it, Thailand hardly need foreign residents who are wiped out financially after an illness. People on such a short leash have no business living as expatriates. Hopefully, the family can join him in Farangland and maybe the wife can work to support the family.

Dont know why people assume he is "wiped out" financially. He hasn't got the 800000bht savings anymore, I know he gets a good income but i'm not sure how much, maybe it'll take him 2 years to save it back up, he just wants some options as to how to handle the situation he is in, nothing more.

If you read my original question again maybe that'll help.

He is most likely getting Social security from the US which is now little over 45,000 thb a month. He could go for the marriage extension.

Not everyone gets that much per month , I believe he cannot even pay the 1900B for the application , is what I thought his friend meant....

almost 80posts all of which are mostly has he or hasnt he got any funds,but there has been no mention of the wife and the part she is playing in all this.we all know when the tough gets going the going gets tough and they or most dont like it and will walk away if her standads drops.so it would be a bit of comfort if the op.can let us know is she[wf] looking after him because thats what he needs right now.there is no sympathy in this country when it comes to farangs so if he has any mates they should try and help him out by the way of a ticket home unless he has no one there.

Don't worry, he his being well looked after by his long term wife in their lovely home, he has a good income coming every month, don't know how much exactly,

I never said in all my posts that he couldn't afford the application fee of 1900bht, don' know who dreamt that.

He hasn't got the 800000bht for his retirement visa so I am asking for options.

thanks for that glad to hear he has a loving wf.as i have,hasnt he got the 400,000 to do the marriage ext.but then there is the time it has to be in the bank is it 2 or 3 months he then has to have living exs.i do know that if he gets a letter from the doctor his wf.can do his 90days report but the extension is another matter.anyway good luck to him.

Hi ubonjoe, I sent him that info and a few others, he can mull them over. Sadly I had to leave many answers out as they were not worth forwarding to him. Why do people reply to these questions without reading the original question, it's like Chinese whispers. Anyway, putting this to bed now so hopefully the trolls can find another thread to write their witty musings on. Thanks anyway joe.

Trying is the first step towards failure. --Homer Simpson

When it comes to long term stay visas I believe I can help with most cases. PM if you need help.

Send me your PM

Edit:

Email removed per forum rules. Publishng your email on a forum can lead to spamming of the email address.

If need be send your email per PM.

mario2008.

Edited by Mario2008

Everyone's SS is different, depending on what he earned and therefore how much he paid in. My SS checks are closer to 80,000 baht pm.

You must have maxed out, as did I, and didn't take early retirement! Everybody's is different depending on the last 10 years of reported income! I often think of what kind of cardboard box I would be living in if I were still in LA! If the OP can't qualify for a marriage visa or travel to get a tourist visa his options are return home or continue where he is and live under the radar!

Actually social security benefits are determined by an average of 35 YEARS of work and the formula gives higher value to your earlier years than the later years. I retired at 52 and began benefits at 62. IF IF I had worked the extra ten years it would have made very little difference in my monthly benefit...fortunately I already had 35 years of earnings from my younger years. Google social security as the web site is excellent and has all kinds of tools to allow you to get good estimates of your benefits depending on your earnings and at what age you want to start:

"Social Security benefits are typically computed using "average indexed monthly earnings." This average summarizes up to 35 years of a worker's indexed earnings. "