Improving English skills is vital: Surin

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we need to do whatever malaysia is doing, the standard of english there is incredible

You mean incredibly good, yes? Singapore is even better. Could it have to do that both countries had a past 'association' with the UK whereas Thailand has none?

I have found that a lot of younger Thais can speak some english. I think they are too shy to use it with foreigners.

• Like 1

The younger you are then the easier it is to learn another language. My grandson is 3 years old and he can speak English and Russian. Thailand should start English lessons much sooner. Where I live most school kids only know how to say hello. My wife says that they know English but thai culture is that they are too shy to speak with a farang. I can see this may be true as my wife was shy to talk to any other farang because she was afraid to make a mistake in speaking English. Now she is very fluent and will stop to help any farang tourist that looks confused at a bus or BTS station.

• Like 1

Thailand will be the Hub of English.

He's right though. The internet is mostly in English and I use it every day to look some things up that I'm curious about or even that I need to know. Worldwide, international commerce is conducted in English. This generation needs to be fluent in English or it will fall off the charts.

• Like 1

we need to do whatever malaysia is doing, the standard of english there is incredible

I read something on the weekend that mentioned about Malaysia and Singapore... the reason they have had huge success in teaching English language is that the students have a class (math, history, sicence, etc) in English. So they are not just taking English language speaking, reading and writing lessons but they are also taking some of their core classes in English as well.

Last year, among 54 countries surveyed for English proficiency, Thailand ranked 53, only ahead of Libya.

Perhaps they might consider allowing people that are here on retirement visas to help, i don't want to lose my visa just because i volunteer to assist young people in my village. My wife is asked frequently if i can teach english, i am the only farang in the village. Parents bring their kids to our house when they have to do the interviews in english for school projects, they ask where i come from, my hobbies, favourite colours etc. and take a photo, presumably to prove that they actually spoke to a foreigner. I am not a teacher but i think it would be helpful just to sit and chat with them.

I too will be on a retirement visa next year. I have a TESOL and speak pretty good Thai. I would like to teach part time - but would like to

be paid something. I probably won't bother unless the Work Permit thing is sorted.

When I first came to Thailand in the mid 90's, the need to learn English in Thailand was generally perceived as being as important then as it is now - if not more so. Parents spent huge amounts of money on extra classes for their kids and workers would enroll in evening classes to improve their career prospects. Just to come at this issue from another angle, my question is what does it say about the ability of English teachers over the past 20 years if the country is still so poor at English?

• Like 1

lots of talk, let us hope there is some walk to go along with it. If the pollies and other government officials can make a quid out of it maybe something something will happen.

Yes lots of talk, but at least Khun Surin knows, what he is talking about!thumbsup.gif

Problem is that he is a muslim member of the Democratic Party, (former FM), so I am afraid that the idiots in power, as usual is not going to pay any attention! sad.png

One should also realise that out of all the immigrants in Thailand, less than 1% belong to the so called "Native English Speakers" group (which is actually a fallacy) the rest are non-native speakers which form the bulk of the business dealings and the buying power in the Kingdom, bearing this in mind it is theoretically impartible to receive instruction from native speakers only in our schools, many Thais are quite efficient in the language while speaking to a "native speaker" but completely hopeless when trying to converse, or for that matter discuss business with non-native speakers from India, Malaysia, or Singapore, just to name a few. In my mind one should begin by learning a form of aeronautical English which is a form of simple English devised by NASA to enable pilots to understand each other and to read instruction manuals. This would enable most Thai Students as well as business people to communicate with most of the non-native speakers from many countries, thereafter start perfecting the language if necessary, depending on the career choice.

Improving English skills is not the answer to Thailand's educational problems, it would be a result. The problem is that within the present educational system with a total lack of accountability and priority in all levels, Thai kids will never learn English or any subject at all! Compared to International standards of course.

Thread winner for the first sentence alone. Agree wholeheartedly; I just hope that by "accountability" you don't mean teacher's performance ratings pinned on test results. I'm hoping you mean accountability in terms of expenditure and decisions made by administrators.

Tell me this then; HOW would Thai fluency in English improve anything, anything at all? It is not so much language (that is promulgated as a panacea to current unrest and unease), as an attitude barrier and hegemony that underpins an underperforming education system which is the foundation of current political leadership that imposes a strict hierarchical social structure to protect the elite and powerful (which is not unique to Thailand). Learning English wont change that.

Since 2005 schools are being encouraged to establish English language programs however Thailand was ranked 54th out of 56 countries globally for English proficiency, the second-lowest in Asia.Several thousand native-English speakers are employed in public and private schools throughout the country. This is being encouraged by the need to develop students' oral expression and knowledge of foreign culture; much of their time, however, is taken up with remedial teaching: putting right any grammar, orthography, pronunciation and cultural background that has been wrongly taught and which leads to great misunderstanding — they see this as a greater priority.

The push should be to teach verbal skills and hire non-licenced teachers who are English first speakers.

• Like 2

Improving English skills is not the answer to Thailand's educational problems, it would be a result. The problem is that within the present educational system with a total lack of accountability and priority in all levels, Thai kids will never learn English or any subject at all! Compared to International standards of course.

Very insightful comment.

Thailand will be the Hub of English.

He's right though. The internet is mostly in English and I use it every day to look some things up that I'm curious about or even that I need to know. Worldwide, international commerce is conducted in English. This generation needs to be fluent in English or it will fall off the charts.

I have a Thai friend, her major at university was English (she is a graduate of Chiang Mai University). After a year in Holland (admittedly not an English speaking country, but many locals there do speak English and my friend was forced to due to her lack of Dutch skills) and then she comes back to Thailand and when she does internet searches, she conducts them in Thai, even though the quantity and quality of information in Thai is far less than in English. Her whole world is now in Thai, and her English, although never particularly good, is worsening at an ever increasing rate. I guess it doesn't help that I speak Thai with her, as well as her only other non-Thai friend in Thailand (who is also a friend of mine) but us speaking English with her when we only see her so rarely wouldn't help - she has decided not to be more engaging with the English speaking world in general and that's why she's missing out. Having virtually no friends that are foreigners residing in Thailand also doesn't help her.

Thread winner for the first sentence alone. Agree wholeheartedly; I just hope that by "accountability" you don't mean teacher's performance ratings pinned on test results. I'm hoping you mean accountability in terms of expenditure and decisions made by administrators.

Don't hope too much, try reading between the lines, instead of the line itself.

Draconian measures must also be taken to prevent the insidious invasion of so-called American English so that our children do not suffer the fate of English speakers in Singapore, China, the Philippines and Malaysia whose English vocabulary, spelling and accents have been corrupted.

Draconian measures must also be taken to prevent the insidious invasion of so-called American English so that our children do not suffer the fate of English speakers in Singapore, China, the Philippines and Malaysia whose English vocabulary, spelling and accents have been corrupted.

Outrageous comment. The population size that uses the various forms of "British English" is tiny. It's all about the internet and world commerce which is in American English. There are various brands of English but we all can communicate which is what matters. We all communicate just fine on this forum, even those for whom English isn't their first language.

Yes, "the fate of English speakers in Singapore, China, the Philippines and Malaysia" and Canada and America and Austrialia.. At least they can access ALL of the important information on the internet, conduct international trade, and talk and send emails to each other.

British English is, worldwide, so yesterday that you need to keep up.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1