Thai Muslim / Southern Thai Culture

PhuketAmerican

I live and work in Phuket and have been involved with a local Thai Muslim woman whose family has lived here for a long time. I don't know any other foreigners who have a Muslim long term girlfriend and only one involved with a Southern Thai (from Nakorn Sri Thammarat). Most of the guys I know all have Isan girls from Buddhist families. It has been interesting to say the least to witness Muslim community events such as weddings, circumcision parties (!), religious festivals, etc. and I like trying Southern Thai foods that I never see in most restaurants or would never have been exposed too. The southern dialect of Thai is also interesting to learn and I have found using it in the right places can get extra food, better service, free things, and elicits overwhelmingly positive responses. I hear alot of other expats talk poorly about the conspiciousness of the Muslim community especially when the call to prayers begins, but many seem to forget that Phuket and the peninsula were more or less dominated by Muslim Malay for a long time before the Siamese Thai and Chinese tin miners came to Phuket. The last year or so has been a great experience for me and I am very happy. I read horror stories (and hear them and have seen some unfold) but my girl and her family never ask me for money, or tell me sketchy sob stories, and are actually quite generous and sharing with me. Has any other foreigner living in Phuket shared a similar experience?