Why do thais refer to a(young) child as "luug" whilst knowing their name ?

benalibina

Never stopped to think about it before.

Luk is a noun = Young, (as opposed to Dek being the word for Children)

so I guess that's the guts of it, Luk Chai Luk Sao - young son, young daughter..

Similar to us saying 'Hey Son, come here' or 'Son! Stop doing that'. Although we rarely use the term Daughter in the way.

I am not a fluent or native Thai speaker so I will stand corrected.

Luug means child, i know that. I just wonder why they don't refer to them by their given name. Seems rather impersonal !

Tiger, cobber, buddy, sweety, pal, bub, champ, young fella, matey, darling, my boy... terms of endearment, not impersonal.

The direct translation sounds odd.

• Like 1

Never stopped to think about it before.

Luk is a noun = Young, (as opposed to Dek being the word for Children)

so I guess that's the guts of it, Luk Chai Luk Sao - young son, young daughter..

Similar to us saying 'Hey Son, come here' or 'Son! Stop doing that'. Although we rarely use the term Daughter in the way.

I am not a fluent or native Thai speaker so I will stand corrected.

Young is not a noun, it is an adjective ..... Luk or lug is baby, also used as a classifier for fruits .... I call all the lil kids "neeww" mouse, i think it is cute sounding.

For the same reason they use Nong, Pee, Noo, Loong, Yai etc rather than use given names.

They also rarely use personal pronouns (pomme, di-chan) and will instead use their own name, or refer to themselves as pee or nong etc depending on who they are talking to, or talking about, and their respective age relationship/status.

It's just the way the language works.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Dek is a child or children (as in school children or all the children), luuk is child (as in offspring, son, daughter) and is also a term of endearment. People will quite often use it when speaking to a niece or nephew and even other children.

Luug means child, i know that. I just wonder why they don't refer to them by their given name. Seems rather impersonal !

Tiger, cobber, buddy, sweety, pal, bub, champ, young fella, matey, darling, my boy... terms of endearment, not impersonal.

The direct translation sounds odd.

This is exactly right. It's more affectionate, actually, than calling your child by their given names. Many times in America we'd refer to our sons as boy, son, champ, kid, or a nickname. Girls could be honey, sweetie, sugarplumb, cupcake, sunshine....Christ, any number of nicknames. Luuk can apply to boys and girls, and is usually uttered with a certain amount of parental affection.

Does the OP really not get this?

• Like 1