2 stroke parts (50cc) in Bangkok?

AK86

Hi all,

Sorry, I'm coming from Cambodia so I know virtually nothing. I've searched a while on previous posts, but nothing found regarding my scooter.

I have a 2002 Honda NHX 50 (shipped over from Japan) and I'd like to rebuild it with a bore up kit and new engine bearings but there's nothing here in Cambodia for the scooter. What's worse is that the stores I know in Tokyo wont even ship to Cambodia so I have absolutely no hope of fixing it when it goes south. The scooter runs fine but I ride it everyday and want to rebuild it freshly. I am wondering if there's a place in Bangkok (that I can get to relatively easy with a taxi/motodop) that has 2 stroke parts, and hopefully a bore up kit and bottom end rebuild parts conrod bearing and mains?

I've checked Akunar and they said they only had stuff for GY6 (4 strokers), also they are a bit far away for a day trip.

My motor is an AF48 if that helps, and is shared by the new Dio 2 (if those are in Thailand).

Thanks for any help in advance,

Ak86 welcome.

There are some 50cc honda scoots here in thailand. I see them rarely though nowadays.

There are many small cc bike parts shops over net like akunar. Also check mocyc.com.

Also there are some thai magazines here for modded small cc bikes and they include lots of advertisement from shops selling parts.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^^Thanks all, and I agree, there's no support for a scooter like this in the first place but because of that I avoid all the thieves here. I also like having a 2 "smoker" as it's what I rode when I was a kid. It's just for the sake of enjoying it that I have it, it's not a great commuter at all as it's thirsty and temperamental, but I like it.

I have a Honda Wave 110 as well (everywhere over here) that I frequently use but of course I want the scooter to stay alive too. :D

Anyway, I've been looking over mocyc.com and hopefully I'll find what I need. Thanks all so far.

I have a 2002 Honda NHX 50 (shipped over from Japan) and I'd like to rebuild it with a bore up kit and new engine bearings but there's nothing here in Cambodia for the scooter. What's worse is that the stores I know in Tokyo wont even ship to Cambodia so I have absolutely no hope of fixing it when it goes south. The scooter runs fine but I ride it everyday and want to rebuild it freshly.

You don't know much about mechanic do you? A two stroke engine "themal group" (means complete piston, ylinder) can be in three conditions:

1. Working fine and not neededing any work. This is the most likely state of your engine, built of high quility material for a long life with proper lubrication.

2. Experienced slight occasional seizure. In normal usage it will also perform as 1, Perhaps will have slightly lesser performance. It can be a precondition for situation 3.

3. Major seizure, and you should know what that means.

Now, if perform any work on a "state 1" engine, you're looking for trouble and waste of money and time. State 2 can be esily diagnosed (piston marks, cyclinder grooves) in few minutes, then can be re-assembled for a later decision (sell seems logical).

Bearings, piston rings and whatever else, do not even think about it. These will never wear out on a 50cc engine. And if they were, you would know already.

Edited by paz

^^ I am not a 2 stroke genius, and I am confused on the term "thermal group". Please help me understand.

I also say that while yes, bearings last a long time, you can't say they will never wear out, regardless of the displacement of the engine. I've owned several scooters (one 44cc needed a new conrod bearing) after being 15 years old). That's roughly the age of this scooter I have and with 56,000 km on my NHX, I don't want to leave it to chance especially if I get a bigger bore. Sure it's not the same thing as 4 stroke scooter, and the motor has never seized in my possession, but how hard is it to drop in a new set of bearings since the motor is apart anyway? Maybe a waste of money according to you, but new main bearings and a conrod bearing never hurt anyone.

^^ I am not a 2 stroke genius, and I am confused on the term "thermal group". Please help me understand.

I also say that while yes, bearings last a long time, you can't say they will never wear out, regardless of the displacement of the engine. I've owned several scooters (one 44cc needed a new conrod bearing) after being 15 years old). That's roughly the age of this scooter I have and with 56,000 km on my NHX, I don't want to leave it to chance especially if I get a bigger bore. Sure it's not the same thing as 4 stroke scooter, and the motor has never seized in my possession, but how hard is it to drop in a new set of bearings since the motor is apart anyway? Maybe a waste of money according to you, but new main bearings and a conrod bearing never hurt anyone.

Thermal group, I've better defined it above.

The theory of replacing parts in advance is a wrong one. For example, you don't know if when the is engine in parts, incompentent mechanic will not drop a piston pin stop spring in the engine, or another part will unexpectedly break, but you know for sure that will not happen if you leave your engine alone while it works fine

And most important, of course you don't know if the bearing will ever fail. For this reason the factory names these as "parts to be replaced as necessary only".

Also the idea of replacing thermal group (what you call "big bore" would be likely 75cc maximum, if you can find one at a reasonable price) seems a bit far fetched for an utility bike. If you really want better performance out of your 2 stroke, you will have to fit an expansion exhaust. Yes, the ones that produce an horrible high pitehced noices, and are impossible to silence.

Thanks, that clears things up on the "2 stroke" side of things.

I tear apart engines frequently (rebuilt my Wave two days ago) and used to rebuild bikes in Japan so I am not too worried on the assembly side of things. I'm very familiar with the 4 stroke side of things, just not the 2 stroke that much although I can't imagine the actual assembly being that much harder. I agree that hydraulic bearings can last forever in theory, but consistently I've had to replace roller style bearings at the very latest, 70-80k on bikes. The wear ever so slightly over time and since they have surfaces that physically touch each other, there will be wear, albeit very small amounts.

I go by the same concept as formula 1 teams do with their parts when they give them a predetermined lifespan. I know if it runs fine then there's no need to fix it, but I also know things wear out, and frankly since I like to ride the scooter on long trips, I'd rather not find out in the middle of nowhere. I've had that happen on my Super Cub about 100 km from home. The ignition coil failed (original 10 year old unit) and I had to push the bike several kms before I found a used Chinese replacement at an exorbitant price. Since then I keep spares of those parts on me on long trips and the rotating assembly fresh and new. That's why I want bearings and a bore up kit.

Just me :) I do get what you're saying though.

Well, all this considered and your experience I would say it's time to for you to upgrade and spend your time and money on something bigger that 50cc scooters.

Potential failures aside you will be going around faster, safer, more comfortably, and in better style :)

1. Working fine and not neededing any work. This is the most likely state of your engine, built of high quility material for a long life with proper lubrication.

2. Experienced slight occasional seizure. In normal usage it will also perform as 1, Perhaps will have slightly lesser performance. It can be a precondition for situation 3.

Now, if perform any work on a "state 1" engine, you're looking for trouble and waste of money and time.

Most of the two-strokes I've had rebuilt never seized at all, nor were they 'working fine'. Specifically, they were weak and lacking power. After the rebuild power was normal again. I think the situation might be due to some inadequacy of compression? I don't know, but it seems to me there are some occasions for rebuild that might not involve seizure?

Now, if perform any work on a "state 1" engine, you're looking for trouble and waste of money and time.

Most of the two-strokes I've had rebuilt never seized at all, nor were they 'working fine'. Specifically, they were weak and lacking power. After the rebuild power was normal again. I think the situation might be due to some inadequacy of compression? I don't know, but it seems to me there are some occasions for rebuild that might not involve seizure?

Yes that's possible. On 2 stroke engines gas sealing is done by the piston/cylinder coupling, as opposed to piston rings. So lack of compression indicates wear in one or or both, possibly to hardening process failure (chroming), and again poor lubrication over extended period of time. Often one is not even sure because tolerance would have to be measured with a micrometer in a good machine shop, so the entire set is replaced if possible at all.