Surapong to attend 68th UN General Assembly

webfact

Surapong to attend 68th UN General Assembly
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul will represent Thailand at the 68th United Nations General Assembly in New York from tomorrow to October 1.

He will address the Assembly on Thailand’s vision of post-2015 global development on behalf of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Surapong will also meet with the delegations of other countries, organised on the sidelines of the Assembly.

The meetings will cover issues that ASEAN intends to propose to the UN Secretary General and the US, the Asia Cooperation Dialogue, and the ministerial meeting of the Group of 77 countries.

Bilateral discussions are also scheduled with leaders of the United Arab Emirates, Ecuador, Bhutan and Colombia.

Thailand is seeking their support for its quest to secure non-permanent membership on the United Nations Security Council. Surapong will host a reception on September 30 to campaign for support.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-23

So after personally visiting countless countries all around the world when the FM would have sufficed the PM is only sending her representative to the UN General Assembly.

I doubt that will make a good impression as Thailand bids for a place on the non permanent Security Council.

• Like 2

I hope he wears that giant Thaksin head thingy that he used to wear on the campaign trail, could use some levity in all the serious nonsense the UN gets involved in. To gain some credibility I would like to see him renounce the attempted execution of the old couple that were forced to take refuge behind a refrigerator when their house was peppered with bullets in the dark of night, sprayed from machine guns led by the TRT bigwig Yongyut "dooyen" Tiyapairat.

This makes nada common sense and reeks of stupiity

A few weeks ago Thailand was saying they wanted a seat on some UN panel

and now for the UN general assembly the PM decides to pull a miss

Country run by less than intelligent people

"Some UN Panel" - er, they would like a non-permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

Do you think the PM/DM or FM are likely to add any credibility to this wish, whichever one turns up?

Finally, the FM doing his job...albeit for the PM....I just can't imagine YL addressing the UN at all given her limited ability to speak.....(given her limited ability..period!)

So after personally visiting countless countries all around the world when the FM would have sufficed the PM is only sending her representative to the UN General Assembly.

I doubt that will make a good impression as Thailand bids for a place on the non permanent Security Council.

Exactly! This is THE one event that the Prime Minister must/should attend with her Foreign Minister in tow, just like every other Prime Minister or President who is in New York right now. She is supposed to have a private meeting with the Sec Gen like all the others, I guess she has just missed the chance to get Thailand in the Security Council. The Sec Gen won't think Thailand take the UN seriously when the FM pitches in to his office! I guess the thought of mixing it with real world leaders was too much for her. I wonder where she is? Must be important rolleyes.gif