Cheap package shipping to US

axellaf

Hello,

I'm trying to find cheap shipping options to the US from chiang mai that take less than 2 months; most of my packages are small, between the size of 1 to 5 pairs of gloves, and relatively light, anywhere between 0.3 to 2 kg. Does anyone know which of the many services out there is my best option?

Thanks

I have found to ship to the US and get there, is by Thailand Post International Registered mail. The cost is around 85 to 130 baht and you can track it by theThailand EMS tracking system and USPS tracking once it leaves Thailand. In the 5 years I've used it I have had no more packages nor letters lost thru the mail.

Thailand Post

Take the small packet air mail option - around 1200 Bt for 2kgs and 600 Bt for a kilo

add on 65 Bt for registration/tracking

Takes average 2 weeks to arrive.

(max weight for small packet is 2kgs)

You might want to try SAL option too if you have 2 months - try out a pack. I've done SAL to UK takes less than a month.

Edited by cmsally

I have shipped tons of small packages to and from the US. The Postal system is the best option. Now, from Thai to the US, there is a rate called "small package," but the package must way less than one KG. 999 grams, including box, label, stamp, is about 200 baht. that is the cheapest by weight (it is much cheaper to send two 999 gram boxes that to send one 1999 gram box). Go to the Thai Post website and take a look. it is very good. http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

Finally, if you want this rate (they tend not to give it), you MUST go to the website, find the cost of your package by weight, print out the rate page and highlight the rate you want. It would help if you can print out the page in the Thai language. At my post office, they seemed to balk at giving me this rate, but I politely insisted it is the correct rate, and now I get it every time and without question. The wierd thing is that you have to tie the package with string, instead of taping it up (and the US Postal System doesn't like string), but it always works. By the way, it is supposed to be a surface rate (taking about 6 weeks), but the last 4 or 5 packages I sent took only 2 weeks or less.

I am not following this link. If you wish more info, you can PM me with your e-mail address and phone number. I will NOT have a discussion through the TV mail service.

• Like 1

Thailand Post

Take the small packet air mail option - around 1200 Bt for 2kgs and 600 Bt for a kilo

You might want to try SAL option too if you have 2 months - try out a pack. I've done SAL to UK takes less than a month.

There is a better rate for one kilo and down. Also, Thai post charges in one kilogram increments. That means 2,001 grams is the same price as 2,999 grams -- something to keep in mind. If your package weighs 2,001 grams, the next 998 grams is free.

The weight limit for small packet to the US is 2 kg not 1 kg.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. I use the one kilo limit package all the time. You have probably never gotten that rate because you did not take the printed page in to request it. A one kilo package (with the right rate) costs much less that a 1.9 kilo small packet rate. Like I said,I mail dozens of things and have tried everything. I KNOW this system.

Thailand Post

There is a better rate for one kilo and down. Also, Thai post charges in one kilogram increments. That means 2,001 grams is the same price as 2,999 grams -- something to keep in mind. If your package weighs 2,001 grams, the next 998 grams is free.

Wrong.

Also, If you have anything of any value in your package, forget the "small packet" option as you can not seal the package. We sent a package to France about 6 months ago using this option and when the package arrived in France there was nothing in the box! Just an empty box.

The weight limit for small packet to the US is 2 kg not 1 kg.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. I use the one kilo limit package all the time. You have probably never gotten that rate because you did not take the printed page in to request it. A one kilo package (with the right rate) costs much less that a 1.9 kilo small packet rate. Like I said,I mail dozens of things and have tried everything. I KNOW this system.

I ship small packet every day. The limit for small packet to the US is 2kg. 1 kg to Italy.

Have a look here... http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

By the way, you are not supposed to seal the package with tape when using small packet.

Edited by wimpy

EMS is a waste of money. I have shipped dozens of packages and have never lost anything.

EMS is not a waste of money. The insurance is 2K THB where anything else is 1K THB. It is the only option for sending something valuable as well as it has point to point tracking as opposed to port to port tracking.

Correction: EMS

Compensation for loss or damage caused by the postal service will be payable according to its actual value within maximum of 3,000 THB for document and 7,000 THB for package.

Edited by wimpy

Correction: EMS

Compensation for loss or damage caused by the postal service will be payable according to its actual value within maximum of 3,000 THB for document and 7,000 THB for package.

Thanks for that. So to be clear, is the insurance 2K THB inside Thailand and 3K/7K THB for International EMS? Is registered still 1K THB insurance?

Edited by elektrified

I can't remember what the EMS insurance limit is inside thailand. Not very much. Those levels are for international EMS.

I am pretty sure registered is over 1000 baht. I can't find it on their website, but there is a sticker on the counter at the post office that spells it out . I will have another look today.

I can't remember what the EMS insurance limit is inside thailand. Not very much. Those levels are for international EMS.

I am pretty sure registered is over 1000 baht. I can't find it on their website, but there is a sticker on the counter at the post office that spells it out . I will have another look today.

Thanks!

Cheers

the

For larger packages, ask the Po tal clerks about Space Available Air. I shipped my mountain bike back to the USA and it got there in 20 days, guaranteed to be less than 30.

what was cost to ship the bike ?

was it in a bike box ?

I have some long items I would like to ship , what is the maximum size ?

30 - 45 days would be OK

can someone post "Space Available Air" in Thai script so I can show the clerkand

maybe the weblink

thanks

the

For larger packages, ask the Po tal clerks about Space Available Air. I shipped my mountain bike back to the USA and it got there in 20 days, guaranteed to be less than 30.

what was cost to ship the bike ?

was it in a bike box ?

I have some long items I would like to ship , what is the maximum size ?

30 - 45 days would be OK

can someone post "Space Available Air" in Thai script so I can show the clerkand

maybe the weblink

thanks

It was just under 5000 baht, and I forget how heavy it was as I really stuffed it. My luggage was maxed so I didn't have a choice and it was cheaper to go this route than what the airline would have charged.

• 5 months later...
ize of

I have shipped tons of small packages to and from the US. The Postal system is the best option. Now, from Thai to the US, there is a rate called "small package," but the package must way less than one KG. 999 grams, including box, label, stamp, is about 200 baht. that is the cheapest by weight (it is much cheaper to send two 999 gram boxes that to send one 1999 gram box). Go to the Thai Post website and take a look. it is very good. http://www.thailandpost.com/rate.php

Finally, if you want this rate (they tend not to give it), you MUST go to the website, find the cost of your package by weight, print out the rate page and highlight the rate you want. It would help if you can print out the page in the Thai language. At my post office, they seemed to balk at giving me this rate, but I politely insisted it is the correct rate, and now I get it every time and without question. The wierd thing is that you have to tie the package with string, instead of taping it up (and the US Postal System doesn't like string), but it always works. By the way, it is supposed to be a surface rate (taking about 6 weeks), but the last 4 or 5 packages I sent took only 2 weeks or less.

I am not following this link. If you wish more info, you can PM me with your e-mail address and phone number. I will NOT have a discussion through the TV mail service.

I just got back from the Post office and was told a 900gram package sent air was 900 b and SAL was 700B

the link you gave above says for 999 grams is 606 Air and 448 SAL for small package

is there anything you need to do to get the small package rate ? is there a size limit ? this is about a regular size magazine , but its rubber + wood

tape the package or string ? and can I "sew" the string or does it need to be tied ?

and how long does SAL take , its something we plan on selling on ebay and 2 weeks is OK , but 4-6 weeks would be a problem,

thanks for your help