where to buy aluminum

h90

Maybe someone came across the same problem.

I need aluminum rods which are easy to machine. Which should be something very common and I can't find anything. We called a few companies and they don't have knowledge about the different grades.

Good should be

EN AW-2011

EN AW-2007

EN AW-6012

and several others....

Anyone know where to get such?

(Moderator: If you think it is better in the business forum please move....I thought that maybe someone used it for hobby purposes and therefor it is better in General???)

There is a mind-bending array of Al alloys to choose from http://www.euralliage.com/aluminium_english.htm

Trouble is, 99% of the stock suppliers here know: Stainless Steel, Steel, Aluminium, Brass sad.png

Unless you absolutely need a specific alloy I would just grab the 'Aluminium' of the right size from your local outlet, the common alloys are all reasonably easy to machine anyway.

There is a mind-bending array of Al alloys to choose from http://www.euralliage.com/aluminium_english.htm

Trouble is, 99% of the stock suppliers here know: Stainless Steel, Steel, Aluminium, Brass sad.png

Unless you absolutely need a specific alloy I would just grab the 'Aluminium' of the right size from your local outlet, the common alloys are all reasonably easy to machine anyway.

Thanks for that link....With it at least I know what I want :-)

Yes.....exactly the Aluminium or Steel. I found a good Brass supplier who has Brass for automated machining and it is a dream to work with.

On the brass I just did 1000 pcs and have to do 10.000 pcs on the next order. (small parts)

On the Aluminum my customer speaks about 500 pcs to begin with, don't know if it will later go in the x.000 pcs area as well. So I need something that really runs without problems.

If there are any technicians around who think that CNC machines are sexy....here a video from our last job (brass):

www.seal-direct.com/test2.html

TV member 'Beardog' knows a bit about screw-machines and could probably give some input. I think you want hard (t6 -t8) rather than soft stock.

There is a machine took exhibition in BKK every year, I believe. I walked through it about 12 or 15 years ago. That would be worth finding out about and attending.

TV member 'Beardog' knows a bit about screw-machines and could probably give some input. I think you want hard (t6 -t8) rather than soft stock.

There is a machine took exhibition in BKK every year, I believe. I walked through it about 12 or 15 years ago. That would be worth finding out about and attending.

My knowledge about aluminum is limited.......But for the application hardness isn't a big problem. Just that it is easy to machine (which than requires some hardness). If I understood it right the easy to machine alus have some lead mixed inside that causes small chip.

I'll send a PM to "beardog"

That idea with the exhibition is also a good idea....I have big problems sourcing tools. Currently I import everything from Germany as in Thailand is just too silly....(want a specific German made tool and the sales guy of the official distributor tells me I should buy the Chinese copy instead and offers the German tool for 3x the list price......)

You can get some awfully good CNC machines in Japan. Back in the late 70's, early 80's Japanese CNC punching machines were a cut above the US produced machines.

My metal turning CNC is an Austrian EMCO. I am satisfied with it. But I got told that the US produced new HAAS CNCs are good and very low priced.

If I would buy a new machine I would consider a HAAS. A year ago I asked for several brands in Bangkok and all tried to quote high first and than negotiate. While HAAS has a transparent pricing on their webpage.

But no new machine for me for the next 2 years sad.png ......