Change of immigration status from no visa to Non-Imm O

Foolishly I let my non-imm O visa (based on marriage) expire and entered Thailand this trip on a 30 day tourst visa as per most tourists

When I tried to apply for a new Non-Imm O visa in Chinag Mai today I was told all changes of status MUST be done in Bangkok.

Is this what others are being told and has this always been the case for changes of status?

Thanks

It should only be one trip to Bangkok for the conversion - the actual extension should be done in Chiang Mai as normal.  But yes same visa cost from Vientiane.

There have been several reports that Bangkok is now giving 15 day under consideration stamps for conversions.

For those from another province referred there?  I believe this has been done when the applicant did not have sufficient time remaining on permitted stay (the 15 days).

Here is one for retirement where he had just done a 30 day extension of a tourist visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/666890-Documents-required-to-present-for-Non-O-Imm-visa-at-Chaengwattana#entry6815946

I don't think it matters if local or out of town.

Just read that reply and notice they also said report with 45 days remaining so believe that confirms 45 days is new standard, at least at Bangkok. Not really clear on his status when he asked for conversion as it seems he then had to use his tourist visa 30 day extension (as says has 2 weeks remaining now 15 days after the non immigrant visa conversion application) so suspect they may have been unknowns involved rather than it is now a two step process.

I was in BKK yesterday to do the conversion to NON O marriage and the requirement is minimum 15 days. I didn't get it by the way because there was one thing that my local immigration forgot to tell me to take, the wife!!!

They will not even consider the application if your wife is not present, the girl gave me a printed list of requirements that I had never seen before which includes a letter certifying marital status before getting married in Thailand and 4 wedding photos.

My choice now is to fly the whole family to BKK as we have no one to look after the kids or go to KL and get a 3 month visa which is what I should have done in the first place I guess.

I was in BKK yesterday to do the conversion to NON O marriage and the requirement is minimum 15 days. I didn't get it by the way because there was one thing that my local immigration forgot to tell me to take, the wife!!!

They will not even consider the application if your wife is not present, the girl gave me a printed list of requirements that I had never seen before which includes a letter certifying marital status before getting married in Thailand and 4 wedding photos.

My choice now is to fly the whole family to BKK as we have no one to look after the kids or go to KL and get a 3 month visa which is what I should have done in the first place I guess.

BKK sounds like it's going in the "too hard" basket as well.

Good tip about the wife though!