Alcohol around town

RaysFan

Did anyone notice all of the major box stores has stopped carrying/selling all non asean alcohol? They seem to be selling only what is left in stock. Makro is completely out of all non asean beer. Lotus is out of all liquor and non asean beer.... its been like this for about a week. Im speculating that it could all be stuck im customs while they figure out how they will tax it? Only in Thailand..... Anyways, just surprised no one has mentioned the shortage of inventory.... or does everyone just drink Chaing?

Sent from my GT-I9500

No, everyone doesn't drink Chang. Makro on the superhighway has loads of beer Lao, dark and regular.

Isn't Laos an Asean member? The OP mention repeatedly wanting nonAsean.
Well spotted. That's the second mistake I've made this year, and it's still only September! A worrying sign?

There is no problem getting imported beers from the wholesalers such as Horeca and I'm sure the likes of Beer Republic have re-stocked, so it must be something to do with the national outlets. Maybe they need to completely sell out of old stock throughout the country before they sell new stock at the higher price. It sounds daft I know but...

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

There are major problems for the beer importing businesses in Thailand since there are new tax rules.

There are many containers blocked in Bangkok, because the costoms department does not know how to excersise the new tax rules.

Word is that the new tax could mean that the prices of imported beers can go up by 50%, that will mean the end of many foreign beer realated shops.

No, everyone doesn't drink Chang. Makro on the superhighway has loads of beer Lao, dark and regular.

Well spotted. That's the second mistake I've made this year, and it's still only September! A worrying sign?

There is no problem getting imported beers from the wholesalers such as Horeca and I'm sure the likes of Beer Republic have re-stocked, so it must be something to do with the national outlets. Maybe they need to completely sell out of old stock throughout the country before they sell new stock at the higher price. It sounds daft I know but...

And i followed you mistake by respnding to it. However this is only the first mistake i have made this year.

• Like 2

Tesco, Hung Dong rd had some cases of Carlsberg cans & small bottles today. Makro had lots of Leo & Singha earlier in the week, but no Chang products. Didn't check Makro today.

Not only can't the govt organise a "pi$$ up in a brewery", they can't even organise a tax rise properly. Muppets.

These Thai lager's obviously aren't imported though... Whats the deal with the tax rise. Alcohol related or import related?

Tesco, Hung Dong rd had some cases of Carlsberg cans & small bottles today. Makro had lots of Leo & Singha earlier in the week, but no Chang products. Didn't check Makro today.

Not only can't the govt organise a "pi$$ up in a brewery", they can't even organise a tax rise properly. Muppets.

These Thai lager's obviously aren't imported though... Whats the deal with the tax rise. Alcohol related or import related?

Alcohol related...

Whilst those who live on the stuff bemoan the breweries not restocking, the fact that nobody knows at what price this tax rise is calculated from equates to a smart move business wise...

It's really quite ridiculous that the Government (house of reps) knew late August this was going to happen, early September they announce it, 3 weeks later it passes through the Senate. However, still nobody knows at what price their going to be taxed on, such is the wording of it.

In theory they could just wear the new tax at current prices but then again with the ambiguity of this new tax, perhaps not.

• Like 1

Yes I spotted it and he beat me to the post on it. I was wondering if it could be a problem with delivery like in the last floods. I am noticing a shortage of Pepsi Max now where it has not been a problem for a long time. It i9s still there but a little harder to find.

As for foreign beers I really never was to concerned about them. Lousy taste buds one beer and they all tasted the samesmile.png .

There is an answer somewhere, but I can't find it. It can't be a shortage, because it is only the retailers that are out of beer, The beer bars and the restaurants have every beer, certainly no shortage there. Please, will someone explain, because no one has yet.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alcohol related...

Whilst those who live on the stuff bemoan the breweries not restocking, the fact that nobody knows at what price this tax rise is calculated from equates to a smart move business wise...

It's really quite ridiculous that the Government (house of reps) knew late August this was going to happen, early September they announce it, 3 weeks later it passes through the Senate. However, still nobody knows at what price their going to be taxed on, such is the wording of it.

In theory they could just wear the new tax at current prices but then again with the ambiguity of this new tax, perhaps not.

The Mum and Pop know in my area they put the prices up two weeks ago.

Macro in Mae Rim are back in full swing again. Heineken, Lao Dark, Asaki plus all the regulars like Leo, Chang, Singha and even Cheers are back. It was a slim pickings last week with just Leo and Singha available.

Pity they dont stock some of the European beers like Rimping but thems the breaks

Macro in Mae Rim are back in full swing again. Heineken, Lao Dark, Asaki plus all the regulars like Leo, Chang, Singha and even Cheers are back. It was a slim pickings last week with just Leo and Singha available.

Pity they dont stock some of the European beers like Rimping but thems the breaks

Makro on superhighway normally has a few imported beers - German, Dutch and English cider, but they haven't restocked yet so some are still unavailable. They only sell them by the bottle for some strange reason.

Alcohol related...

Same in one of the offies on chang klan

All due respect to the M&P brand, but I'll guarantee they know sweet fanny Adams about it.

Ask them about the equation the ED has set out.

Putting up the prices without due diligence is a complete knee-jerk reaction..

But then again, M&P ain't got time fo' that!