Suvarnabhumi Airport sets sight to become the world's No.1 airport

webfact

AIRPORT
Suvarnabhumi Airport eyes No.1 spot

The Nation

30215809-01_big.jpg
Duty-free area at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Suvarnabhumi Airport sets sight to become the world's No.1 airport six years after the second-phase development is completed.

Pongsak Semson, a vice chairman of Airports of Thailand - the operator of the Bangkok’s airport, said on Friday that works must be stepped up to increase the airport’s competitiveness. He foresees fiercer competition when the ASEAN Economic Community takes shape in 2015.

The airport celebrated the 6th anniversary today.

"Six years after the second phase is completed, we’ll be fully ready to complete and there’s a chance that we become the No.1 because of the competitive edge in terms of tourist destinations," he said.

In the region, Suvarnabhumi is inferior to Changi Airport in Singapore in terms of language skills of personnel, congestion and convenience, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-27

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could start by pricing gate access for airlines so that I don't have to take a bus from the plane to the terminal mid-day when there are over 10 open gates. Nothing creates a worse image than being stuffed on a crowded bus with hand luggage and taking a tour of the airport rampside.

I stand to be corrected, but you should be blaming the specific airline for this, I believe this is case of the specific airline not wanting to pay for the jet way/gate, nothing to do with the airport, hence you get to ride the bus...wink.png

No1 of course

• Place to be harrassed
  • Meet pimps,illegal taxis
  • Locate gambling dens
  • Be fitted up for shoplifting
  • Run a car park scam
  • Have insufficient ladies bathrooms
  • Drinks more expensive than Munich or USA
  • Painting out Logos and lying about the reason
  • Have I forgotton something........

Have I forgotton something........

Yes, what was the name of the Sri Lankan dude?

They could start by pricing gate access for airlines so that I don't have to take a bus from the plane to the terminal mid-day when there are over 10 open gates. Nothing creates a worse image than being stuffed on a crowded bus with hand luggage and taking a tour of the airport rampside.

Very Good Point

This airport has a very long way to go

I travel in and out of there all the time,its not the best airport ,but its by far not the worst,the the place is improving all the time,and i have used it since it opened,the toilets are ok now and immigration is slowly getting better,try going through manchester airport early in the morning or late evening! and the food and drink prices are not that bad,try a beer in dubai £7 or abu dhabi,and if you get a taxi into town 3-400 bt from the rank,not to bad really,i spent 2 hrs in the traffic last time going to bang na,only 300bt,cant go 100m in the uk for that lol, but i have to admit it is badly run,but thats just Thailand.

• Like 1

The problem with Thai government officials and politicians is they have no first hand knowledge of travel in,out and across their country. They are used to being pampered with first class treatment everywhere so how would they know what it's like as an ordinary traveller.

Free wifi throughout Swampy would be a start. They also need top take a look at airports such as Amsterdam Schipol or Singapore, see how it's done, and compare the second class service they operate.