Buying Shirts For Work

brianbrain

Since living in Thailand I have bought casual and business shirts from markets, "fashion" shops, and department stores. The cheapest shirts have been nothing more than you would expect - low quality. I wasn't expecting anything else so there was no great disappointment. Some have been better than others, but none of the cheaper shirts are suitable for work, and it may be just me but none of them fit properly. I guess they are cutting costs by making all L size shirts short in length.

As for the department stores, well I have always avoided the Central/Robinson department store "special offer" 500 baht type shirts. Frankly, they look crap. Not until you start paying 1500 THB plus (or about 1000 THB in a sale) do the shirts seem to be any good. By this, I mean look on a par with a basic business shirt that could be bought in M&S back home for about 15 GBP. Some of the 800 THB shirts look like they could be okay, but wash them a few times and the fabric looks haggard and often frays around unfinished edges (anyone noticed how they just fold the fabric over several times along the front button area?).

Now I'm just curious to know where other people buy their shirts. Does anyone have shirts made at a shirtmaker / tailor shop? If so, what was the quality like compared with a similar priced shirt in a department store both here and back home? Any recommendations for alternatives to department stores?

I've never bought work shirts from a department store or similar in Thailand as I can't get my size (I'm tall so a shirt of my neck size is generally too short in the arms) but I have had shirts made by a tailor and was pretty impressed. I used to get shirts made in HK and so far I haven't found a tailor that makes them as well as HK, but the prices here are cheaper. I've tried a couple and The best so far is Majestic Tailors on Sukhmvit (near Soi Nana), prices range from Bt800 to Bt1200 depending on the quality of the material

Yes, Baht 800++ is what you pay in BKK for tailor made.

The only alternative I use, is to stock up when in Europe and even the stuff I buy from

sales tables starting Euro 10 and up is better than department stores in Bangkok.

Yes, Baht 800++ is what you pay in BKK for tailor made.

The only alternative I use, is to stock up when in Europe and even the stuff I buy from

sales tables starting Euro 10 and up is better than department stores in Bangkok.

I stock up when in the UK, have tried M&S here in Bangkok but the sleeves are too short.....

When I lived in the UK I got most my shirts from TM Lewin's and then when I lived in HK I started getting them from them via mail order. I then decided to try a tailor that was recommended and haven't bought a work shirt off the rack since as tailor made shirts fit so much better. Everyone is a different shape and size so for the price you pay I would definitely recommend going to a tailor.

I always get one made first to check the sizing and quality before placing a bigger order. I have also had a few shockers on material choice where I thought that a check or a stripe looked good when you are looking at the 6" by 6" square of material but when the shirt is made it's awful but generally speaking it's definitely worth it.

I've never bought work shirts from a department store or similar in Thailand as I can't get my size (I'm tall so a shirt of my neck size is generally too short in the arms) but I have had shirts made by a tailor and was pretty impressed. I used to get shirts made in HK and so far I haven't found a tailor that makes them as well as HK, but the prices here are cheaper. I've tried a couple and The best so far is Majestic Tailors on Sukhmvit (near Soi Nana), prices range from Bt800 to Bt1200 depending on the quality of the material

Thanks for the recommendation. The prices seem good compared with what I've been paying for an off-the-peg shirt.

I thought you would be able to get some decent off the peg shirts at Emporium. Anyway I am asian size so maybe thats why its not a big problem for me.

On some what the same topic, can anyone recommend a good tailor for making a suit here in Bangers. Value for Money kind of tailor.

I definately get my work shirts tailored. I much prefer a fitted shirt and hate the huge mass of material gethering around my waist you get with off the rack shirts. Plus I can choose my cuff/collar combo as I want it as well as what and where folds are in the back among other things.

I have had good quality Egyptian Cotton shirts made at Rajas in soi 4 for 1000baht and up (depending on what else I'm getting). I have also had reasonable shirts in a variety of fabrics (some good, some not)done at Louis between soi 8 and 10 for 500 baht with a few other orders.

• 2 weeks later...
I definately get my work shirts tailored. I much prefer a fitted shirt and hate the huge mass of material gethering around my waist you get with off the rack shirts. Plus I can choose my cuff/collar combo as I want it as well as what and where folds are in the back among other things.

I have had good quality Egyptian Cotton shirts made at Rajas in soi 4 for 1000baht and up (depending on what else I'm getting). I have also had reasonable shirts in a variety of fabrics (some good, some not)done at Louis between soi 8 and 10 for 500 baht with a few other orders.

Try Arrow big and tall at emporium/central chidlom/siam paragon. Usually when on special they are about 900-1200 baht. My old man has had some of these particular shirts for over 3yrs and they are still in good condition.

Good luck

Yes, I bought some shirts from Ambassador Taylors in Soi 19 Suk.

They're OK at 1,200 each, but I find the thick taylor made collars act a bit like a sponge on the sweaty walk to work.

Andy

• 4 months later...

I'm a huge fan of Crown Tailor inside Sukumvit soi 8. THe guy has an incredible reputation and is reputed to never forget a customer. I know of people who've bought a shirt there and when he returned 4 years later the owner still remember his name and what he purchased!

Really awesome service!

andy,

It's nice to know that he'll remember my name. However, what's most important to most of us is his ability to tailor a shirt. Can he do that ,or is his only skill is remembering names?

The latest time i went to him, i think he charged me about $35 a shirt (long sleeve) and it came down to about $30 cuz i bought 7, so i assume a short sleeve one might be a little cheaper? The shirts that i have from him have been through days and months of work and are still in good condition, so i assume its quality is pretty good. Lets just say the stictching is still stiched! hehe