Changing money

glennsup

Don't know where you are, but the main office of any of the banks in Phuket Town should be able to help you.

Well i have been to my bank(Kasikorn) and they said they dont do it and cannot order, but if any one knows what bank does let me know,yes i am in Phuket,

Don't know where you are, but the main office of any of the banks in Phuket Town should be able to help you.

Well i have been to my bank(Kasikorn) and they said they dont do it and cannot order, but if any one knows what bank does let me know,yes i am in Phuket,

Did you go to the main office in Phuket Town?

Give them a ring first to ask if they have the amount you require, I have used them for years and found them to be very helpful. http://www.phuketexchange.com/

They will also give you a better rate than the banks.

Maybe, but their rates are not on the website. I did see this on their website though, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec vel turpis in enim ornare elementum.", and much more of that.

I'm sorry, but a company that does not have the important information on the site but does have Latin phrases on it and many more non operating functions on their site I would not trust.

Give them a ring first to ask if they have the amount you require, I have used them for years and found them to be very helpful. http://www.phuketexchange.com/

Maybe, but their rates are not on the website. I did see this on their website though, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec vel turpis in enim ornare elementum.", and much more of that.

I'm sorry, but a company that does not have the important information on the site but does have Latin phrases on it and many more non operating functions on their site I would not trust.

They have probably been there longer than you have on Phuket. The have constantly changing rates which you can see in their office. My daughter & many other students who travelled to China to study, earlier this year, all used their services as do quite a few other savvy people I know.

They have probably been there longer than you have on Phuket. The have constantly changing rates which you can see in their office. My daughter & many other students who travelled to China to study, earlier this year, all used their services as do quite a few other savvy people I know.

Well, I guess if changing money there on the spot nothing much can go wrong.

All banks have constantly changing rates, but still manage to publish them on their website. But this website really is bad.

"Maybe, but their rates are not on the website. I did see this on their website though, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec vel turpis in enim ornare elementum.", and much more of that.

I'm sorry, but a company that does not have the important information on the site but does have Latin phrases on it and many more non operating functions on their site I would not trust."

Remember TIT and obviously this website is still work-in-progress.....

Graphic designers use a font called Lorem Ipsum as a place filler to demonstrate layout ...the Latin phrases are really just nonsense,

Sanuk

To the OP: Don't know your circumstances, but when I'm leaving the country and just want to 'get rid' of my leftover baht, I used to buy a couple of bottles at the duty-free to take home.

I figured I lost a bit when exchanging, lose a bit exchanging back, so I'd just spend it instead. But I'm obviously talking about relatively small amounts. And you need to be sure you'll be able to get it past security if you have other stops along the way.

I have some experience, though with smaller amounts of money.

Many banks around the country will exchange baht into dollars, though never at nominal FX rates. A black market exists in Bangkok, but you risk (1) being set up for a bust & (2) receiving counterfeit money.

My Thai wife transferred 3.8 million baht from our joint Bangkok Bank account in Udon Thani (near ha-yek nampoo) to my U.S. bank account in late 2010. The bank manager first exchanged the baht into dollars at the highest transfer rate. There was a fee, 500 baht I believe. I was sooo happy afterward that I tipped her 1,000 baht. Of note is that the first lady we talked to made it sound like it would be a difficult process (probably because I asked if I could transfer the money), involving documentation of money I'd transferred into Thailand, etc. Another lady happened to overhear the conversation & quickly stepped in, saying that by virtue of my being my wife's family, she could transfer any amount to me in the states. It obviously helps to know the rules, so if you talk to someone who doesn't understand them you can simply try someone else (too bad this doesn't work so easily with Thai Immigration).

In another case, I had a friend withdraw money from both Udon Thani's main branches of Siam Commercial Bank & Bangkok Bank (around 35,000 baht each) on my behalf (i.e., as a proxy). In each separate case, he then purchased a bank draft from Bangkok Bank in dollars. The bank exchanged money based on the highest transfer rate, which kind of surprised me. As my friend lives in Bangkok, I tried to have this done at a branch there. Bangkok Bank in Bangkok could not exchange the money into dollars this way, even considering that my friend has considerable influence & he dealt with a major player at the bank. He could withdraw the money for me, but that was as far as he could go.

The best advice I've gotten was that you should always deal with the branch where you're money is held. The fees are less & documentation -- if needed -- should be more readily available. But as the last paragraph suggests, each branch seems to have their own rules.

Siam Commercial Bank was of no real help. No bank drafts exchanged into dollars, no transfers to the U.S. exceeding 20K baht (I believe that was the amount), & all transfers could not exceed the amount you've brought in.

Kasikorn Bank? The only bank in all of Thailand that I've ever heard of where people have lost money. Their policies are such that a bank employee can rip you off & you have no recourse (i.e., the bank says it's not their fault). I would never chance a transfer with them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SeabagsFull

I ran into this on Koh Chang earlier this year when I wanted American currency to take into Cambodia. I went to a bank, can remember which one, and they told me they do not carry US dollars. They did however direct me to a different bank a mile away that had them. Go early. This bank told me they send all of the US dollars to their branch in Bangkok every day at noon.

every bank i have visited in Patong wiill change, as will many of the exchange counters.,

I am always buying $$ when the rate drops

Some times when i am buying alot and thye dont have them they say to come back the next day an they will save them for me. SCB an Bangkok Bank

super rich is US1.00+ 31.3

find a super rich exchange ..is the best exchange rate ...been using it for years

The OP asked about Phuket exchange. There are no Super Rich exchanges in Phuket. I believe they are only in Bangkok.

Bound to be hit and miss, walking into a bank without prior announcement to buy foreign currency. Banks will quickly send foreign money they purchased to the main office, from where it will quickly be send to the country of origin. But if they have it they will sell it, best bet is going to the local main office early.