Woman-only taxis may launch in Bangkok

webfact

Men, step aside please: Woman-only taxis may launch in Bangkok
By Coconuts Bangkok

zt20130130_traffic_cbk001-l.jpg?itok=Vs6

BANGKOK: -- Assanatai Rattanadilok na Phuket, the Deputy Director of Department of Land Transport, said recently that plans to launch a class of Bangkok taxis that will only accept female passengers is still in progress.

The department is studying three main subjects for the lady taxi project: the qualification of the drivers; how locals will be able to identify lady taxis; and the fare, which will be slightly higher than regular taxis.

The department expects to send the project to the transport minister by the end of this year for his final approval.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/02/men-step-aside-please-woman-only-taxis-may-launch-bangkok

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-02

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless they explain further, I am sceptical.

In all my years to / in Thailand, I had just 2 female taxi- drivers ever and you are NOT telling me, you make "women only"- taxis with MALE drivers, do you?!

• Like 2

Good idea in principle. The odd times I have had female taxi drivers they have been honest and friendly, and best of all if they don't know where they're going and I do, prepared to ask.

Of course being Bangkok it might just turn into a front for a knocking shop, but you never know.

No talk of "cleaning up" the taxi profession so that women don't become victims in the first place though?

And when another female gets attacked or raped in a normal taxi, I guess that's her fault for not choosing a woman taxi.

Fkwits

• Like 2

Ladyboys only taxi service is next up. Just bring lady clothes with you in the bag so you change clothes just in case.....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Can ladyboys use them, too?

When do you change from crossdresser to ladyboy? Would I qualify if I put on a wig? Or perhaps some makeup and high heels? If operations are required, then which operation(s) are required? Or hormones - do I need to eat a certain amount? If a ladyboy qualifies for a lady taxi, would a tomboy then be disqualified for a lady taxi?

• Like 1

Stupid idea. There are already so many taxis around that it's hard for them to find a customer. Cut the number of customers in half and good luck to these women only taxis.

I have found that so many of them already refuse customers.

• Like 2

Are the drivers going to be female? Otherwise what is the point? The point of the women only buses is to prevent sexual harassment. Female Tax drivers for only female passengers make sense. It provides a rape-free taxi experience while also protecting the female taxi driver from male passengers.

• Like 2

This just puts more cars on the congested roads. And will cause higher degrees of chaos at pickup points and roadsides, with drivers looking for women specifically, or because of women hanging around waiting for a female cab to arrive, while normal cabs pull up and offer to pick her up, and pull out again.

But its an easier and more shiny eyecandy idea than for example, say, improving the roads and vehicles and regulation of driver standards.

Sounds interesting on the surface..... but what exactly is the objective? I assume it is to provide "safe" transport and avoid victimization of women travelers.

What exactly is the perceived danger for a lady to get in a cab? That the driver will abduct them and rape them I assume. Since once they are in the cab, there is no one else able to harm them short of an RPG blowing up the taxi. So are we admitting that the Land Transport Department is issuing taxi licenses to known rapists? If not then how do they validate "lady" drivers... no previous convictions? No complaints in their record? They prefer boys as prey?

Now we all know how it will go down..... they'll tie pink ribbons to the radio antennas of some taxis. These will be the "Lady" taxis. The government/BIB will charge taxi drivers 50 THB/day for the pink ribbon (of course these cannot be counterfeited!).

Poor male stands in the rain and flags a taxi... driver stops. Patron sees the ribbon... "Oh sorry". Driver stares blankly. Patron "Libbon. Libbon". Driver jumps out, removes the "libbon", and says "OK, OK, you pay more. OK?" Male patron is saved from the rain. Hooray! 30 seconds later, single woman comes out.... not a single "Lady taxi" in sight. Dripping wet, she flags a normal cab.... regular fare save a load of extra charges. Happy ending! And another great idea is implemented for the betterment of society. Life has reached a new balance of nothingness.

;)

Good idea in principle. The odd times I have had female taxi drivers they have been honest and friendly, and best of all if they don't know where they're going and I do, prepared to ask.

Of course being Bangkok it might just turn into a front for a knocking shop, but you never know.

As I interpret this project it is to do with the gender of the fare and not the driver. Dumb scheme with all the hallmarks of that omnipresent Thai logic.

This is called discrimination in other parts of the world. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

So than I stay there (male) and need a taxi...but it is woman only.

The driver stays there and need a customer but can't take me because it is woman only.

Sounds like a great plan....

But well it is Thailand....everyone will paint woman taxi on the taxi beside the "GPS" and "we speak english" and will take everyone because the guy who rent the taxi doesn't even know what is painted outside of it....

it sound funny as with the blue Taxi "intelligent" Taxi but not driver ? wai.gif