New Thai Friends Wanted....

RonR

Hello to everyone, I am Ron, I am 49 years old and since 2001 I have been to Thailand around 12 times. I am planning to visit again in January 2014, with plans to travel down to Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan & Phuket. I would like to use the next 3 months to make new friends with english speaking Thai nationals.

To me Thailand is my home from home, and I hope that one day I can spend the rest of my life in Thailand!

post-188717-0-13177500-1380721532_thumb.

Why not try to post this message on a forum that is frequented more regularly by Thai people? I don't think you are going to have very much luck in your quest for friendship here, but I also wish you the best of luck. Why do you want English speaking Thai friends? Are those of us who speak English from other countries that horrible?

• Like 2

You are "falang". Thais don't want to be friends with you. They may appear friendly as long as you keep handing over more money than you should, just like your cat will be so friendly just before you feed it and then will either ignore or bite you once it has a full stomach...

I do agree with this but I do (occasionally) meet educated girls on the dating websites. Some have been abroad, had marriages/relationships with foreigners so they understand our culture and are open to talking about good/bad. The avg. Thai conversation is limited based on limited experiences.

• Like 1

Do you really want 'friends' or do you want to meet Thais for sex / relationships?

Either way this isn't the place.

If it's friends you're after join couchsurf and check out the Bangkok and other Thailand groups. Plenty of locals involved there.

If you want to meet members of the opposite sex then join the dating sites like Thai Friendly and Thai Love Links.

49 years old and heading for KPNg, please get real.

Sounds as if he wants a gik, but doesnt know the terminology for it.

My nieces speak English, please tell me why they should contact you, you are double their age, and judging by your photo probably double their weight.

49 years old and heading for KPNg, please get real.

Sounds as if he wants a gik, but doesnt know the terminology for it.

My nieces speak English, please tell me why they should contact you, you are double their age, and judging by your photo probably double their weight.

Firstly, what is a GIK?

Secondly, where do I mention that I am looking for nieces half my age?

Thirdly, yes I am probably double their weight, seeing as most Thai girls weigh around 6st, and I currently weigh just under 12st!

PMSL!

since 2001 I have been to Thailand around 12 times.

To me Thailand is my home from home,

And you dont yet know the term, gik.

Great stuff, you are the man.

PS, are you the slap head in the photo, just showed it to my mrs and she laughed, never mind, I feel sure you have a good heart.

<deleted>, KPNg at your age, ROFPMSL.

• Like 1

I think you'll have more luck finding Thai-speaking foreign nationals, than English-speaking Thai nationals on this site. You could always just turn up and strike up friendships with some of the locals.

hey Ron, check out meetup.com, they have lots of functions in bangkok, and some of the functions are get togethers for language exchange, cultural exchange, with Thais (english speaking) and foreigners. But you really need to be here for it, you obviously can't attend if you are still in the UK. Besides that, since your only way to make Thai friends while you are away is through the internet, I would recommend trying online chat sites, just google search "thai language exchange"..or something like that. However most of the online sites will be more "dating"- oriented, but there should be a couple that are more about practicing speaking in the other person's language.

Yeah, meetup is a good call, especially good for things like mixed groups of foreigners and Thais for social outings and activities. It's not a dating website, it's a social type thing.

Love these kind of topics, they always bring out the bitter twisted folk. :)

• Like 1

been to thailand 12 times, can't speak Thai, wants to live in thailand forever, and only wants to meet English speaking Thais?

I don't understand you people.

You don't have to, he's not asking you to be his friend !...

Op: Its possible to make very genuine friends here in Thailand. Yes, there are some horror stories, I suspect these horror stories exist in many places and happen to the similar personality types. I very much doubt those who have provided bitter and twisted replies have any friends at all.

Advice: Language is going to be a barrier, but also a blessing, the Thai's with whom you can meet will either be educated with a decent grasp of English or they will be from the 'Tourist sector'. I'd recommend to keep away from those in the 'Tourist sector' as they tend to see a foreigner as a financial opportunity.

That said, if your intention is to be genuine and meet genuine friends that will shine through and others will pick up on it.

Join a few clubs, Thai's are in the Motorcycle clubs too....

Final comment: If you are looking for friendship in Thailand it doesn't have to be restricted to Thai's, there are many decent Westerners, these decent Westerners will have already made friends with Thai's and the best way to meet other people is through other people...

If on the other hand you are simply looking for 'female company' this is the wrong forum and I've wasted my time with a response !...

• Like 1

been to thailand 12 times, can't speak Thai, wants to live in thailand forever, and only wants to meet English speaking Thais?

Been in Thailand for two years now, and don't feel any desire to learn the language at all. Thai colleagues at work talk only of soap operas, gadgets, movies and food. I feel I am not missing much not being able to talk about these subjects with them.

Other Thais, who can talk of philosophy, literature and intellectual subjects speak and master concepts in English. I don't see the point blundering my way through a language which is internationally useless.

I am not planning on staying in Thailand beyond the time I am posted here...

And as to living here, if they want my business, they learn English. Otherwise, I take my business elsewhere (happened with insurance).

• Like 2

Been in Thailand for two years now, and don't feel any desire to learn the language at all. Thai colleagues at work talk only of soap operas, gadgets, movies and food. I feel I am not missing much not being able to talk about these subjects with them.

Other Thais, who can talk of philosophy, literature and intellectual subjects speak and master concepts in English. I don't see the point blundering my way through a language which is internationally useless.

And as to living here, if they want my business, they learn English. Otherwise, I take my business elsewhere (happened with insurance).

What would be your opinion of a foreigner who came to your country to live and had no desire to learn the local language?

i find it strange for someone to say how much they love a country and it is their home, and that they want to live there forever, yet they cannot even put form the smallest amount of effort to learn the language or integrate into society.

What would be your opinion of a foreigner who came to your country to live and had no desire to learn the local language?

i find it strange for someone to say how much they love a country and it is their home, and that they want to live there forever, yet they cannot even put form the smallest amount of effort to learn the language or integrate into society.

Guess what? There are plenty of foreigners who come in our country and who get social aid and do not have to do 90-day reporting, and do not even try to learn the language. Service providers in my country learn to serve the customer in his language if they want his business.

Other point: I never said I love this country, nor that this is my home. I am here to do a job, period.

Even if I had been feeling that way, the Thais do everything they can to prevent that. Furthermore, take off your pink glasses: the Thais do not want you to "integrate", nor will they ever consider you part of them.

How do you know what they are talking about if you can't understand them?

Maybe they only talk about that mindless stuff with you as the intelligent conversations they have in Thai are hard for them to talk about in English.

Or maybe they just see you as a simpleton who doesn't understand anything else than these subjects.

Odd way of thinking you have. You land a job here and yet you think everyone else should go out their way to speak your native language?

If you come to Thailand to work or live it should be your job to integrate into the country. Others should not bend over backwards to accommodate you.

Maybe they only talk about that mindless stuff with you as the intelligent conversations they have in Thai are hard for them to talk about in English.

Or maybe they just see you as a simpleton who doesn't understand anything else than these subjects.

Odd way of thinking you have. You land a job here and yet you think everyone else should go out their way to speak your native language?

If you come to Thailand to work or live it should be your job to integrate into the country. Others should not bend over backwards to accommodate you.

Unfortunately, I hear from English-speaking thais what they say among themselves (oh... and just if you wonder, some are the intelligent persons with whom I can discuss intellectual issues). I guess I am not the only one to find these people useless to talk with. ;)

As to "simpleton", it is hard to do worst than these people in terms of lack of sophistication of thinking. I am often teaching them things about their own country which they simply do not want to see or are too indoctrinated to see. And language is not the issue in that.

As to "landing the job here", I did not choose to come here. I was sent here on expatriation, period.

Indeed, I don't have to bend backwards to accommodate them if they want my money. As for their conversation, thank you, but given as empty as it is, I like to keep it in English.

Finally, I do not have to integrate at all. From 10 cars, I was the only driver to stop when I witnessed a deadly accident. I respect and value the maid, the guards and the cleaners, where the Thais look down on them. So, sorry, that type of society I do not want to integrate into. Very happy to be out of it and not to hear these idiots talking of their latest holidays, or the last shopping and similar inane subjects.

You are "falang". Thais don't want to be friends with you. They may appear friendly as long as you keep handing over more money than you should, just like your cat will be so friendly just before you feed it and then will either ignore or bite you once it has a full stomach...

To help prevent this, or at least not buy into this way of thinking, that is, that we are so much different than them, first and most importantly, don´t call yourself "farang".

It will only consolidate the idea that we are totally different and rather objects than human beings.

Edited by ayayay

Unfortunately, I hear from English-speaking thais what they say among themselves (oh... and just if you wonder, some are the intelligent persons with whom I can discuss intellectual issues). I guess I am not the only one to find these people useless to talk with. wink.png

As to "simpleton", it is hard to do worst than these people in terms of lack of sophistication of thinking. I am often teaching them things about their own country which they simply do not want to see or are too indoctrinated to see. And language is not the issue in that.

As to "landing the job here", I did not choose to come here. I was sent here on expatriation, period.

Indeed, I don't have to bend backwards to accommodate them if they want my money. As for their conversation, thank you, but given as empty as it is, I like to keep it in English.

Finally, I do not have to integrate at all. From 10 cars, I was the only driver to stop when I witnessed a deadly accident. I respect and value the maid, the guards and the cleaners, where the Thais look down on them. So, sorry, that type of society I do not want to integrate into. Very happy to be out of it and not to hear these idiots talking of their latest holidays, or the last shopping and similar inane subjects.

You say you respect the guard, the maid, the cleaners, and yet you manage to post such an ignorant post which shows explicit disrespect for pretty much anything related to Thais and Thai culture.

Congratz...

I do not look down on people because of their social station and I respect human beings. I do look down on what you call "culture" when it brings up the subjects I mentioned. I guess the nuance is lost on you.

As to "ignorance", I believe you are far more ignorant in refusing to see reality around you. Sorry fore breaking your charming illusions, but you may go on to live in them. I don't really mind nor care.cheesy.gif

I do not look down on people because of their social station and I respect human beings. I do look down on what you call "culture" when it brings up the subjects I mentioned. I guess the nuance is lost on you.

As to "ignorance", I believe you are far more ignorant in refusing to see reality around you. Sorry fore breaking your charming illusions, but you may go on to live in them. I don't really mind nor care.cheesy.gif

Meanwhile Thailand is very status aware, it is also true to most Western countries, the difference is, that it is less obvious there, than here, but that does not mean it does not exists. I guess that nuance is lost on you.

Good you respect human beings, just watch out for being too general about Thais and Thailand.