More man-made attractions to be built to draw foreign tourists to Thailand

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand's politicians live in cloud cuckoo land when it comes to tourism. There are many countries with better beaches and man made attractions.

Florida springs to mind.

The head in the sand mentality avoids the primary reason many westerners come to Thailand and it ain't the beaches.

• Like 1

And what kind of Man made site they want to add ? more shopping malls ? a Disneyworld park ?

Thailand is not sufficiently managed for a Disneyworld. Disney management knows that and has been ripped off plenty by counterfeit Disney property.

If Thailand wants more visitors then stop discriminating against the farang. We pay more for more at every tourist park and double for any hospital visit. I spend 70,000 bhat every month in sattahip Thailand and I am not allowed on 50% of places here. I cannot own a small piece of property to build a house, and most business's try to charge you more because of being a farang. I think every expat living here should pay 1000 bhat a year to a organization to hire good lawyers to fight for our rights. like making it easier to be a citizen. I feel like second class here

Indeed. It's hard to make money from natural beauty.

Are you kidding? Numerous studies have shown that nature attracts more revenue than raping natural habitat. Kenya's Serengeti is one of many examples.

Politicians are continually looking to their GOD, the bottom line, ....amassing as much money as possible, so let's look at this issue from that perspective.

America's National Parks are the best in the world, and tens of millions of Americans and tourists enjoy them each year. We don't expect Thailand to compete with the US's splendid parks, but Thais could do similar on their own smaller scale. TAT and Thai politicians don't understand the deep appreciation that farang have for nature. They think golf, sex venues, temples, deluxe resorts and Thai food are mainly what's attractive. Thailand should set aside (as vast tracts as feasible) natural habitat, protect them, seed them with wild animals, and see what happens. Hordes of Asian and Western tourists would make efforts to come to Thailand to see such sights. If Thailand can't do that, at least construct one or more large natural-type zoos similar to San Diego's Zoo. When visitors come to see such things, they spend money in local towns and cities. Similar opportunities are possible for Thailand's coastal regions, but current trends are opposed to that.

Indeed. It's hard to make money from natural beauty.

Are you kidding? Numerous studies have shown that nature attracts more revenue than raping natural habitat. Kenya's Serengeti is one of many examples.

Politicians are continually looking to their GOD, the bottom line, ....amassing as much money as possible, so let's look at this issue from that perspective.

America's National Parks are the best in the world, and tens of millions of Americans and tourists enjoy them each year. We don't expect Thailand to compete with the US's splendid parks, but Thais could do similar on their own smaller scale. TAT and Thai politicians don't understand the deep appreciation that farang have for nature. They think golf, sex venues, temples, deluxe resorts and Thai food are mainly what's attractive. Thailand should set aside (as vast tracts as feasible) natural habitat, protect them, seed them with wild animals, and see what happens. Hordes of Asian and Western tourists would make efforts to come to Thailand to see such sights. If Thailand can't do that, at least construct one or more large natural-type zoos similar to San Diego's Zoo. When visitors come to see such things, they spend money in local towns and cities. Similar opportunities are possible for Thailand's coastal regions, but current trends are opposed to that.

Sorry if you misunderstood. Of course, why clean up the natural environment when it's just so much more fun and profitable to cut it all down and lay concrete and put up theme parks....

A plan like this is no plan. They will destroy what little is left of the natural Thailand.

Man-made attractions? Some of the possibilities that come to mind are terrifying.

• Like 1

Is that a joke article? Thais already don't know what tourists want and the rare times Thais dedicate a little area for a park, they immediately start to cover it with cement and commemoration statues. If Thais want to know what farang want, they should ask farang. I mean real questions, not the typical Thai questions like; Do you like Thai food? Do you like Thai temples? Every farang is obligated to say 'yes' to such questions.

Most of the tourists in Thailand are not farangs, most come from Malaysia, China, Japan and other Asian countries, as well as Russia. So asking German or English people what they want/like is not going to solve their problem.

But you are correct that they should rely on surveys and analysis, rather then on suggestions by some politicians who usually have no clue what they are talking about.

Well a significant portion of the tourists in Thailand are western visitors. Also, some of these western visitors feature in the top 10 visitor numbers, including Germany, Australia and England I believe. America is also not far behind - therefore their opinions are relevant. China, Malaysia and Korea are also up the top, with China and Malaysia rounding out the top 2. While visitors from Laos might make up about 1 million arrivals, strictly speaking border hopping from Vientiane to Udon Thani or Pakse to Ubon for shopping every weekend is not what I would call typical tourism, but they feature in the top 10-15 arrival markets anyway, based on this alone. The same can be said for many, if not most of the Malaysian arrivals.

If Thailand wants more visitors then stop discriminating against the farang. We pay more for more at every tourist park and double for any hospital visit. I spend 70,000 bhat every month in sattahip Thailand and I am not allowed on 50% of places here. I cannot own a small piece of property to build a house, and most business's try to charge you more because of being a farang. I think every expat living here should pay 1000 bhat a year to a organization to hire good lawyers to fight for our rights. like making it easier to be a citizen. I feel like second class here

I agree - although I have never experienced the "special prices" for hospital treatment that you speak of. Then again, I wouldn't set foot inside a government hospital - as I have insurance, my insurance pays 100% of my costs so of course I only visit private hospitals when in Thailand and if there's anything that can wait, I'd rather come back home for a check-up where the system is familiar to me (besides, I would never try to save money when it comes to my health). There's something about stepping foot into a big hospital when I might only have a minor throat infection or scrape that feels bizarre. I have never stepped foot as a patient inside a hospital in the west, because we visit clinics for small problems, or for initial consultations; big hospitals are reserved for emergencies and major surgery.

Can you explain what you mean you aren't allowed on a lot of places in Sattahip? I have never been there, nor do I have any reason to go, but I would be curious to know what you mean as I have heard this complaint before.

The JFCCT in Bangkok should be able to fight for our rights as residents in Thailand, but it seems they must be quite useless. In 2008 there was talk about trying to eliminate the work permit requirement for permanent residents, but this never materialized. Probably they thought that since only relatively few foreigners possess permanent residency and it doesn't affect the majority of their constituency, it was never prioritized. However, updating policies on the entry/exit and residence of foreigners in Thailand should be made, just like it has recently been acknowledged in China. Only that way can useful changes be made.

I have heard a rumour that there is in the pipeline a proposed tour concerning ''The manholes of Bangkok'' for those who may be interested in such matters. If the tour is successful it is projected to also operate in Pattaya. It is also rumoured that there will also be an organ playing course for beginners again soon to be introduced as a tourist attractionwhistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

"Build It And They Will Come" whare have I heard that before?

perhaps a Kevin Kostner movie where he built a stadium for

old & deceased baseball players? I can't remember really...

this build it theory has been done so many times before

in so many countries, not just in Southeast Asia, and the

tourista's eventually STOP coming.

True Story: a Thai couple went as tourists to visit eastern India. As part of the attractions, they were able to view some one horned rhino in wild habitat. The Thai lady silently wept. Her husband and the guide asked why she was weeping. She said it was because Thailand used to have similar wild rhinos, but they've been gone a long time.

Wild Rhinos in India ? Did they fly business class?

• Like 1

In the Isarn, I saw a number of recently constructed spectacularly looking mega wats (temples) which were obviously made with the purpose of attracting as many Thai visitors as possible. And they do come.

Alongside the hwy, halfway btwn Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, there's a faux temple complex. It's Khmer style. Shops have sprouted up alongside, but the faux temple itself has been stuck half-built for several years. Did they run out of money? Did they not get sanctioned by the Sangha?

There is another faux temple in Chiang Rai. It's become very popular among tourists, especially Asians, largely because it's all white, and many large tour buses stop there. It almost didn't get official sanction as a temple (because of its unorthodox art, and...?) but I heard a petition to a higher authority gained success.

I'm mentioning this because Asians, as a rule, much prefer man-made attractions, over such things as trekking. Tour operators and drivers prefer it also, as they stay on good roads and cement everywhere, so they don't get their shoes soiled. It's well defined: pack 'em in the bus, drive to attraction, take a 2 hr. break, pack 'em in again, drive 'em back to hotel. None of the weird unscripted stuff that might happen on a raft trip or bicycle trek.

So, I can understand the powers-that-be wanting to make man-made contrived cement covered attractions - particularly if catering to large numbers of Asian tourists. Non-Asian tourists are generally leaning more to adventure park, outdoorsy, challenging activities - but that's messier to deal with from a tour biz perspective.

Sorry to post so much, but I wanted to mention a temple complex in my village, population: 300.

A young head monk has overseen the building of a complex on the tallest hill. There's a 9-story conical building which looks like a tall wedding cake (The White Temple mentioned above looks like a wedding cake also).

Perhaps we're at the dawn of a new epoch in Thai Buddhism: We could call it the 'Self-Aggrandizement With Wedding Cake Architecture' period. Alongside the 9-story building is a half completed building whose facade will be one of the biggest Buddha statues anywhere. Oh, and there are other buildings, including a giant wat with white Xmas lights all over. Giant tour buses come and go each day. Thanks to the wat, we get a song played many hours each day on giant loudspeakers - heard KM away. For 20 months it was one song. Now, for the past 7 months it's been another song. You either love the song, or it drives you crazy to hear it on a tape loop for hours. I'll let you guess my take on it. That's the future of Thai Buddhism. Oh, and the head monk has posters of himself nearly everywhere, along highways, in neighboring cities, ....you name it.

Huahin now has 2 floating markets - where Thai never plied their trade on boats, nobody lives there and no Thai has any cultural or historic attachment to these sites as traditional floating markets. At least Damnoen Saduak and Amphawa were once based on real market communities - even if the tourism aspect has overshadowed that.

Why 2 new floating markets in Huahin you may wonder?

The promoters of the first one had a falling out - so one group went off in a huff and built a competing "attraction" across the road.

Many cities up country now have new floating markets and if the rains continue so will Bangkok.

Is that a joke article? Thais already don't know what tourists want and the rare times Thais dedicate a little area for a park, they immediately start to cover it with cement and commemoration statues. If Thais want to know what farang want, they should ask farang. I mean real questions, not the typical Thai questions like; Do you like Thai food? Do you like Thai temples? Every farang is obligated to say 'yes' to such questions.

Most of the tourists in Thailand are not farangs, most come from Malaysia, China, Japan and other Asian countries, as well as Russia. So asking German or English people what they want/like is not going to solve their problem.

But you are correct that they should rely on surveys and analysis, rather then on suggestions by some politicians who usually have no clue what they are talking about.

Well a significant portion of the tourists in Thailand are western visitors. Also, some of these western visitors feature in the top 10 visitor numbers, including Germany, Australia and England I believe. America is also not far behind - therefore their opinions are relevant. China, Malaysia and Korea are also up the top, with China and Malaysia rounding out the top 2. While visitors from Laos might make up about 1 million arrivals, strictly speaking border hopping from Vientiane to Udon Thani or Pakse to Ubon for shopping every weekend is not what I would call typical tourism, but they feature in the top 10-15 arrival markets anyway, based on this alone. The same can be said for many, if not most of the Malaysian arrivals.

Quick search in Wikipedia + adding up the numbers:

Westerners amount to 20-25% of tourist arrivals (don't know if a person is counted twice if does a border run).

The most growing nationalities in terms of tourist arrivals are Russians, Chinese & ASEAN countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_Most_visiting_nationalities

Americans & Europeans have better options, closer to home, like Mexico (for US), Turkey, Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Egypt (Sinai).

More Chinese temples, more Chinese restaurants, more museums about the Chinese community in Thailand, more miniature models of the Great Wall of China and the Forbidden city, more markets, more gold shops, more coach parks.....

• Like 1

Sorry to post so much, but I wanted to mention a temple complex in my village, population: 300.

A young head monk has overseen the building of a complex on the tallest hill. There's a 9-story conical building which looks like a tall wedding cake (The White Temple mentioned above looks like a wedding cake also).

Perhaps we're at the dawn of a new epoch in Thai Buddhism: We could call it the 'Self-Aggrandizement With Wedding Cake Architecture' period. Alongside the 9-story building is a half completed building whose facade will be one of the biggest Buddha statues anywhere. Oh, and there are other buildings, including a giant wat with white Xmas lights all over. Giant tour buses come and go each day. Thanks to the wat, we get a song played many hours each day on giant loudspeakers - heard KM away. For 20 months it was one song. Now, for the past 7 months it's been another song. You either love the song, or it drives you crazy to hear it on a tape loop for hours. I'll let you guess my take on it. That's the future of Thai Buddhism. Oh, and the head monk has posters of himself nearly everywhere, along highways, in neighboring cities, ....you name it.

What is the ROI on a temple these days?

Thailand becoming the religious tourism hub of Asia for those persecuted Chinese buddhists?

I know that there is a temple up north that has concrete scenes of Thai Buddhist hell, or narok. A Bangkok version could be fun... Think of all the various PMs and related government officials that could be immortalized in concrete with an ever changing cast of characters: the fraudulent monk, the rich playboy murderer.. That cast is almost endless, and concrete is cheap,