Thai Ombudsman forgives Kittiratt's 'white lie'

webfact

How could lying be unethical? Lying is wrong, period.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think that this thread sums up everything that is going wrong in Thailand perfectly.

Sorry...I meant to ask "How can lying be ethical?" Not unethicalwai.gif

I think that this thread sums up everything that is going wrong in Thailand perfectly.

Telling someone on holiday that Grandma is fine and waiting on their return to tell the truth.

That may be, or may not be.

The lie in the OP is definitely not ethical.

So if I called him a liar, a defamation case against me would be thrown out, not only because it is the truth but also because it does not damage his reputation? Have I got that right.

Nothing he says in the future can be trusted - sort of fits the MP mold anyway - and so he should resign as the public can no longer have any faith in him or anything he says. By the same token, the members of the office of the Ombudsman should also resign for endorsing the right of an elected MP to lie.

I would just love a journalist to ask Kittiratt, when he next makes a public statement, whether he is lying this time too.

Telling someone on holiday that Grandma is fine and waiting on their return to tell the truth.

That may be, or may not be.

The lie in the OP is definitely not ethical.

As a public official, this bloke is a joke. As a public organisation this ombudsman is an even worse joke.

• Like 2

"In the ruling, the prime minister was advised to have her ministers take extra precaution in terms of accuracy in order to safeguard her government's credibility."

This would actually explain why the government has now chosen to keep everything secret, such as the rice scam etc. If you never tell anyone anything, then at least you cannot be caught lying!

As a public official, this bloke is a joke. As a public organisation this ombudsman is an even worse joke.

Very true.

The Ombudsman said some private agencies including the Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Thai Banks Association and the Industrial Federation of Thailand were asked to explain on the forecast of economic figures.

They insisted that Mr Kittiratt’s statement did not have any impact on their businesses.

Translation: We never believe him anyway.

Even if the Ombudsman had any credibility, I don't blame them for forgiving one lie because they would be snowed under with daily ministerial lies from the pretend-PM downwards.

What's the point of this office as the incumbent seems to spend his time looking for reasons not to do his job.

Naturally, and perhaps with good reason, he doesn't have what it takes to find against a senior cabinet minister but that pales in comparison as to how he is treated with utter contempt by YL's refusal to answer questions over the issue of her brother's passport.

The Ombudsman's response is to just keep extending the deadline by which he expects a response, one he is never going to get.

Yingluck and her relations will never answer question on the passport. It was illegally issued, therefore the government broke the law and should be forced to resign and those responsible punished according to the law. Never, ever going to happen. Ignoring the question saves face and any silly comments from the farang press who might pick up on it. The ombudsman meekly accepts being told they need another 3 or 6 months or whatever. This will keep on going on until the leader's back and whitewashed. Then simply forgotten because they'll include this in the whitewash - all in the interests of democracy and reconciliation don't you know.

But put it into context. Red Bull heir does a runner, cock and bull story of "illness", speed charge expires. No attempt to extradite him, and press comments suppressed, But, he only killed a policeman, dragging his body with his Ferrari, whilst speeding (charge expired so not proven), under the influence of alcohol (may have had a drink when at home), traces of narcotics (seems to not interest prosecutors), fled the scene, tried to pervert the course of justice etc etc. Clearly not serious - bail granted, allowed to leave the country, breaks promise to return, but still no extradition request. Actor shoot guy in the face, lies about circumstance, but caught on CCTV. Changes story, says how sorry and devastated he is - case seems to have simply disappeared. No more media reports.

Actress admits taking drugs, father publicly apologizes then the somewhat colourfull Minister of Labour turns up, as his relation is her boyfriend. All a big mistake - she didn't do drugs after all.

Lie after lie after lie. It's ingrained in all levels of Thai society. Lie if you have to - must keep face, never be wrong, always innocent, never responsible.

We can all understand lying to save face, avoid punishment. We all did that as small children. Mr. Kittirat's original 'white lie', about the economic forecast, was not under duress, nor was anyone expecting the great results he prophesized No, this was a totally unprovoked and unjustified lie that even Thai norms should not accept and overlook. There's enough lying here without making shit up from whole cloth.

• Like 1