Thai children have high risks of game addiction

webfact

Mental Health: Thai children have high risks of game addiction

BANGKOK, 4 October 2013 (NNT) – The Department of Mental Health says Thai kids have a tendency to be addicted to video games, causing them to lack confidence and concentration.

According to the Mental Health Department under the Public Health Ministry, Thai youths nowadays spend more time on playing games than in the past and can easily become addicted to video and computer games, particularly kids left on their own devices have higher risks of being game addicts.

The department said some of these kids could develop attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), while others could lose self-confidence.

The Mental Health Department has therefore urged the parents to consult a therapist if their children are addicted to games, or call 1323 for advice, twenty-four hours a day.

The department also advised that parents observe their children, saying if a kid plays games for 2 straight hours or more, he or she might be a game addict. Other indications include skipping school, lower GPA, and fewer number of friends.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-04 footer_n.gif

This is a modern world phenomenon.

Not purely a Thai one.

Gaming particularly,creates a fantasy world for the players.

Thus the players ignore reality.

Similar to other addictions.

Namely,illicit drugs and alcohol.

• Like 1

Does this article suggest they have a higher tendency than other nationalities of kids? Or as I guess, Thai kids are no less remarkable than others, and can get addicted to video games just like any other kids, if parents don't do their job.

Totally agree. Always blaming the kids or the games, of course the parents don't have any responsibility... -_-

• Like 1

Does this article suggest they have a higher tendency than other nationalities of kids? Or as I guess, Thai kids are no less remarkable than others, and can get addicted to video games just like any other kids, if parents don't do their job.

Totally agree. Always blaming the kids or the games, of course the parents don't have any responsibility... -_-

But why say Thai kids.

Notice they always say Thai police, when reading about Thailand. Who else's police could it be?

• Like 1

On the other hand, they could be hanging out on the side of the highway throwing rocks at cars....

As long as they get some exercise, video games can be a stress reliever.

Remember, as kids, we were told we would be brain dead by sitting in front of the TV all day. That was pretty passive, and frankly, people look dumb watching TV.

At least you need to be alert, and use some strategy when you play games....video or other.

So lack of exercise, socializing and putting off homework might be the only bad things.

Gangs and drugs/alcohol could be worse.

My 17 y/o stepson is heavily addicted to computer games. He would wait in his bedroom when he stayed with us,until I was asleep (10-11pm) and then sneak into the living room to play on my computer until 7-8am, then miss school. He would always have to resit his exams before the next term started, as he would do the same at his father's home. If I was on my computer for work, he would go out a find an internet cafe/bar and stay til dawn or later.

Now he is trying to get into uni, still heavily addicted. He doesn't smoke, drink, take drugs, or hang with gangs and has a steady girlfriend. I worry for his future, but he has missed a lot of his education, and my wife is not strict with him as he does not get into trouble.

Totally agree. Always blaming the kids or the games, of course the parents don't have any responsibility... sleep.png

And call it addiction so no one is wrong, if you are addicted you aren't wrong you are sick.

If you spend too much money you are shopping addicted.

If you xxxx everyone you are sex addicted

If you play games all the time you are addicted to video games

But it is never your (or your parents) responsibility....

Edited by metisdead

Totally agree. Always blaming the kids or the games, of course the parents don't have any responsibility... sleep.png

And call it addiction so no one is wrong, if you are addicted you aren't wrong you are sick.

If you spend too much money you are shopping addicted.

If you xxxx everyone you are sex addicted

If you play games all the time you are addicted to video games

But it is never your (or your parents) responsibility....

Huh?

An 8 or 10 year old is supposed to understand the possibility for addiction?

What gets me is that he thinks people who play computer games can't concentrate.

Surely if you're playing a computer game for hours on end, concentration isn't an issue.

So long as my kids get enough sleep, and do their homework, I have no issues with them playing computer games as an alternative to sitting watching TV.

Go to 1950 and come forward decade by decade. What did you do as a kid before video games became prolific? I don't remember exactly, was it 1970's or early 80's when Atari came out with the TV game console? I remember it was "Pong".. Put it on "fast" mode to make the analog blip go fast, what an e-ticket ride that was. Wonder how long today's generation could sit in front of a 17" black and white television screen and play Pong. Mowing the grass might be more fun. LOL.

Senators of Thailand, the most naughty kindergarten scum of the entire nation are addicted watching p***** graphic content on their iPads during debate...

Oh please, and you blame your children who just follow their "role models' example???

And the solution for curing this addiction to computer games, which has been highlighted in Thai media several times over the last few years, is to totally disrupt the education system and give all children their own computer tablet, upon which they play games. Neat rolleyes.gif

I like the bit in the OP where the Gov spokesman suggests that parents engage the help of a therapist! In order to do that of course, you need them to exist in the first place. Perhaps those of you living in Thailand could please see if you can find a Mental Health Therapist living in your town/village/province that can council children on addictions, or maybe you would just be wasting an entire day of your lives on a wild goose chase!

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1