Another 13 provinces warned of flooding; Bangkok safe for now

webfact

INUNDATIONS
Another 13 provinces warned of flooding; Bangkok safe for now

The Nation

30216352-01_big.gif
A house and a pickup truck were among the things that were swept into a canal in Buri Ram after strong currents broke down a part of the bank yesterday. Fortunately, nobody in the house was harmed. Later, neighbours and officials tried to help the family

BANGKOK: -- People living along rivers or at the foot of mountains in 13 provinces have been advised to brace for possible natural disasters.

Although Bangkok is not among these provinces, Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra has expressed concern for the 25 riverside communities in the capital because they do not have the protection of flood barriers. He said yesterday that these communities could be flooded in the middle of this month in the face of high tide and run-offs from the upper part of the country.

As of press time, up to 24 provinces were still being ravaged by floods. These already-flooded provinces are not included in the list of 13 provinces for which a warning was issued by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department (DPMD) yesterday.

The DPMD list includes Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Chumphon and Surat Thani.

If these provinces end up getting inundated, the flooding will affect a much wider area of the country.

"Keep an eye out for any signs of danger that might come in the wake of downpours and keep abreast of all early warnings [issued by the authorities]," DMPD director-general Chatchai Phromlert advised.

The Meteorological Department has forecast that a low-pressure ridge would be bringing heavier rain to many parts of the country. Downpours are likely to continue in the lower part of the Central region as well as the East and South until Tuesday.

Provinces in the lower part of the Central region are now preparing to deal with run-offs from upstream areas.

Meanwhile, the Pasak Jolasid Dam in Lop Buri needs to discharge 700 cubic metres of water per second because it is already brimming.

Separately, Sukhumbhand said he believes 850 families living along the Chao Phraya will be affected from run-offs and high tide in the middle of this month.

"We are preparing assistance for them," he said.

While relevant authorities have successfully erected flood barriers along almost the entire stretch of the river in Bangkok, some areas cannot be protected because residents object to it, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-05

So now it is 37 provinces (24 previously listed 'and, already flooded' plus another 13 added yesterday) That's 37 in total.

Not bad out of the 76 provinces in the realm, in fact only 48.7% giggle.gif

Well done "who ever is responsible" You should all be proud of your selves coffee1.gif

I read somewhere that the Pasak Jolasid Dam is 10-20% over maximum level. And now they start to discharge?!?

850 households, yeah, right. Where to they find these figures? Households outside Bangkok obviously don't count. Farmers. Whatever are they here for anyway?

All indicators point against a new massive flooding, and it's still raining heavily. Will these people ever start doing preparations before the disaster strikes? Probably not.

Where is Yingluck hiding out now. No more proclamations every thing is under control.facepalm.gif

She is probably in some obscure Mall hiding out and definatly not allowing photo's.giggle.gif

Wonder where she will take the traveling road show of a cabinet for their meeting. Dubai springs to mind.whistling.gif

Where is Yingluck hiding out now. No more proclamations every thing is under control.facepalm.gif

She is probably in some obscure Mall hiding out and definatly not allowing photo's.giggle.gif

Wonder where she will take the traveling road show of a cabinet for their meeting. Dubai springs to mind.whistling.gif

Do you think she is actually in the country? It's a good time for another "official" trip abroad.

Well done "who ever is responsible" You should all be proud of your selves coffee1.gif

Mother Nature...take a bow.laugh.png

Blame mother nature when all of the predictions of the government went wrong. Mother nature has no face to lose

So now it is 37 provinces (24 previously listed 'and, already flooded' plus another 13 added yesterday) That's 37 in total.

Well done "who ever is responsible" You should all be proud of your selves

That is a very long list of people.

300px-Thailand.A2001334.0350.500m.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Thailand's borders with Laos and Cambodia are reflected by the brown on the Thai side in this true-colour satellite image, which shows the effects of heavy deforestation in the country.

Between 1945 and 1975 forest cover in Thailand declined from 61% to 34% of the country's land area. Over the next 11 years, Thailand lost close to 28% of all of its remaining forests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_Thailand

It's pretty scary, looking at that swath of brown in the satellite image. This isn't the kind of damage that will recover in 'a week or two'. I think the damage is way beyond repair by the looks of it, and the only recourse is to let Mother Nature do her work. And Mother Nature doesn't work with velvet gloves!!!

Blame mother nature when all of the predictions of the government went wrong. Mother nature has no face to lose

Au contraire. I am sure that JL was intimating that the total inaction of the Thai Government since the last inundation is far short of being a responsible riposte. Flooding is a natural phenomenon I agree, but the deforestation of the rural areas should have been halted by successive Governments and many civil engineering projects undertaken to prevent further disasters.

In the UK steps were taken to prevent a recurrence of the Lynton and Lynmouth disasters, sea walls were erected along the East Coast and Kent coastal areas after the Great Storm of 1953, and of course the Thames Barrier constructed. What has Thailand done in the way of prevention since it is common knowledge that there is a long history of flooding in several areas? Nothing but shameful inaction, except in squirreling away of funds allocated.

• Like 1

Specially as every year in the raining saison the same thing happens again......I can now predict that September and October 2014 will be a lot rain.

Edited by h90

If you can interview water "particles" in the photo asking where they came from I'm afraid 50% of them will answer they were from dams.

Edited by ResX

I wouldn’t blame the government to much here I’m sure there is room for improvement (as there is anywhere) but there is not a lot any government can do when it rains like this. I live in South Florida, we have some of the best systems in the world to remove water and when it rains heavy and consistently for a number of days we find ourselves in a similar situation.

If we choose to live in tropical climates we will have to deal with this periodically. It’s not pleasant but for me preferable to snow storms and the cold winter.

I must contradict those who say there has been no flood protection work done along the CP river since 2011.

Where I live in Singburi there has been more than 2km of wall built along the river bank since then.

Most of this was started and some completed before the 350billion was borrowed so I doubt it is connected with that loan.

Some of the work on those walls has as yet to be completed.

I have been out of the country for the last month so cant say what the situation there is at present, whether the new work has helped of just caused a bottle neck and moved the flood water upstream.

I will be back home next week and will go out and take photos and post them for those who don't believe.

There is also the work that has been done around Ayutthya and BKK that I know of so there has in fact been a lot done.

post-12069-0-66021100-1380962110_thumb.j

Work in progress on flood walls along CP river Singburi

Specially as every year in the raining saison the same thing happens again......I can now predict that September and October 2014 will be a lot rain.

That's what I've been saying all year. September and October are the nastiest thunder storming months every year.

Well done "who ever is responsible" You should all be proud of your selves

That is a very long list of people.

300px-Thailand.A2001334.0350.500m.jpg

magnify-clip.pngThailand's borders with Laos and Cambodia are reflected by the brown on the Thai side in this true-colour satellite image, which shows the effects of heavy deforestation in the country.

Between 1945 and 1975 forest cover in Thailand declined from 61% to 34% of the country's land area. Over the next 11 years, Thailand lost close to 28% of all of its remaining forests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation_in_Thailand

And no, the farangs didn't do it.

• Like 1

I do not belive there is any flooding in this country this year, as I belive there is no more drugs left in this country, because that's what the government told us last year, and also earlier this year. The just needed three monts to get rid of the drugs, and the flooding was an issue they did have the full control on.