Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home

webfact

A kilo if hom mali rice costs under 50 baht if you buy it in town, though of course it's hard to find in small bags.

Anyone like to guess the price that King Power will charge?

I guess 250 baht for a 1 kg bag.

For 250 BAht I prefer Bras Mati rice from India or Pakistan. Alloy mak mak

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes they have seen the light

bring the rotten rice back home for your friends or ennemies (you don't like)

20 million visitors x 1 kg

PROBLEM SOLVED

they should have another promotion : buy your 10 - 20 - 50 kg bag of rice and you don't pay surcharge on the plane for it... (might speed up things)

• Like 1

Its gotten so bad now that they are suggesting rice as a way to make tourists forget how they got fleeced, stabbed or worse.

Why not just make Thailand a nice place to visit. Im sure that would have a better impact wink.png

If an Australian or any traveller flying into any of our airports from Thailand walked up to quarantine/ customs holding a bag of rice it would be immediately confiscated and burned.

It will be burned along with all the other crap food passengers bring in to Australia from SEAsia and China.

Who the hell wants to receive a gift or buy a bag of useless rice and fly anywhere with it ?

Has anyone overseas ever heard of Thai jasmine rice . who cares?

How old is the rice anyway....2 years? Idiots.

And the really annoying thing is trying to buy duty free booze at Swampy....you go to Australia...not allowed. Stick your rice......

This is hilarious.

In the UK, most people eat Basmati rice which is a far superior rice with much less sticky starch, and lovely nutty flavour.

In Nepal it is everywhere, and my Thai wife says its the best rice she ever had, and brought some back with her, and her family want us to bring a lot back when we go again in November.

Sorry Thailand, your rice aint the best in the world, as usual, you are deluded with Thai superiority.

Totally concur.

I Iive in Thailand and only eat Thai Jasmine rice when my Bangkok-bought stocks of imported Basmati have run out.

And yes, my Thai family were also, quite literally, gobsmacked the first time they saw and ate the fantastic long-grained Basmati dish that I cooked for them............initially refusing to believe that it was actually rice!

It would be a nice idea if they handed small (say 1 kg) bags to departing tourists for free.

Putting them in King Power is where it goes off the rails. High prices and scams.

I've akways advised any visiting friends to avoid KP like the plague. Cheaper 'duty free' in Foodland.

And you won't get extorted as a "shoplifter."

• Like 1

Come on....

We all know these decision makers have a vested financial interest in the company that is chosen for its rice product.

They have either already been promised a nice bung of cash or they have bought a million shares in that company in their wife's name. Or probably more likely both.

"Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home"...

Yeah right. I can see Aussie & USA Ag & Fish and plant quarantine people

agreeing with this "gift" 100%...not to mention the same folks in the Euro zone.

Have these people who thought this up no education?

At one time, long ago I thought small Thai "Spirit Houses" very detailed &

made of wood boxed as a gift would be great....and even looked into having

these made for sale at duty free stores at a fair price. Then there was the

issue of wood...how could I guarantee that the wood I'd use was free of

"pests"? Couldn't argue with that so the idea went into hibernation. So

much for that.

Anyway I reckon this "scheme" (love the word) fits nicely with this....

attachicon.gifFunny-Pics-14.02-7.jpg

There are many foodstuffs that are allowed through Customs, rice being one of them although it must be declared.

http://www.csu.edu.au/international/starting-on-campus/immigration-and-customs-regulations

The same goes for Europe and USA, Thailand is not on the Khapra beetle infestation list.

Of course, many people on TV laugh at the idea of Thai rice being taken back to a home country as a gift but to be honest, I can see it working!

It's the idea of something that is an original product from the country you have visited, regardless what it is and has LOS got anything original?

Thai jasmine rice IS a premium product in many western countries, rightly or wrongly, that is how it is considered by many shoppers who buy other makes because they are cheaper.

People visit Aussie and bring back a miniature boomerang or cuddly koala teddy etc. with a 'Made in China' label. It represents Australia.

But of course, unless you live in LOS then you're just a stupid farang who doesn't know what you are buying and with the stands located at check-in, a few baht in your pocket that you want to get rid of before you leave? I bet if someone done a survey of how many bags are sold they will be in for a surprise!

Good marketing idea, shame it's rice!

Edited for adding extra info about the USA

You are literally correct of course about the beetle but Cambodia and Laos are on the Khapra beetle list, so immigration doesn't let them in to LOS? You have to admit that at the very least this is curious. Or, does it mean that Cambodia and Laos abide strictly by the pesticide contamination requirements?

As you know, Thai rice has been ordered checked at U.S. Customs on a by container basis, with some reports, although disputed by the Thais, that some shipments were rejected due to contamination. If six instances of contamination occur, if memory serves, then a ban would go into effect.

Any way you cut it, urging travelers to show up at U.S. Customs carrying rice from SE Asia or anywhere else for that matter is ill-thought-out and ill-advised. A lot of U.S. kids reach college before eating much if any rice other than Uncle Ben's instant in a box.

The reason Thais are doing this is to give the appearance that the rice is fine, but it could backfire if Customs decides hand carried rice must undergo testing like the container shipments. And you have to ask, what would happen if people started showing up at Thai customs from trips abroad with rice from China, Korea, Japan, or neighboring SE Asian countries.

LOL try giving Thai rice as a superior rice to East Asians (Japanese, Korean Chinese). They make a mockery of it calling it the "flying rice" because it's not hearty.

Let's not be too hasty, maybe they are planning to put it in neck pillows and sell it that way.

Never had a problem finding Jasmine rice anywhere in Los Angeles. I usually got mine at Trader Joe's. I don't understand why the government would think that people who wouldn't know the difference between that and Uncle Ben's converted rice would bother buying it. Just imagine for a moment: "Hi honey, hi kids! I'm home! I missed you so much! That was a grueling business conference in Pattaya, but I found time to do some shopping. Are you ready for this? Surprise!

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 1

They will be remembered and praised in world history for they brilliant idea , statues will rise throughout Thailand for them !!!

Children will be named after them, songs will be sung in their honor !!!!!!

Can't wait for their next brilliant step ......

cheesy.gifclap2.gifpartytime2.gif

This might be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard,, certainly in top 5.

Can't make my mind up on the order of the following:

• Boat propellers used to tackle billions of liters of flood water by "pushing" water in the other direction
  • Sticking your head inside a gaping crocodiles mouth for "family" entertainment,, ta daaa!!
  • Free trials on testing shark repellent
  • A TV program idea called "Big Brother"
  • Selling rice to tourists as a gift to take home.

I will have to think carefully about this...

• Like 1

"Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home"...

Yeah right. I can see Aussie & USA Ag & Fish and plant quarantine people

agreeing with this "gift" 100%...not to mention the same folks in the Euro zone.

Have these people who thought this up no education?

At one time, long ago I thought small Thai "Spirit Houses" very detailed &

made of wood boxed as a gift would be great....and even looked into having

these made for sale at duty free stores at a fair price. Then there was the

issue of wood...how could I guarantee that the wood I'd use was free of

"pests"? Couldn't argue with that so the idea went into hibernation. So

much for that.

Anyway I reckon this "scheme" (love the word) fits nicely with this....

attachicon.gifFunny-Pics-14.02-7.jpg

I'm sure you'll find no problem taking in packaged rice.

I remember a some years back when I still had to return to the states for work I told the guys I worked with, most grew up sons of rice farmers in SE Texas, that I had read an article that Thailand had patented Jasmine rice. They just laughed, said they had been growing Jasmine rice for over 20 years.

This is hilarious.

In the UK, most people eat Basmati rice which is a far superior rice with much less sticky starch, and lovely nutty flavour.

In Nepal it is everywhere, and my Thai wife says its the best rice she ever had, and brought some back with her, and her family want us to bring a lot back when we go again in November.

Sorry Thailand, your rice aint the best in the world, as usual, you are deluded with Thai superiority.

i prefer jasmine to basmati anyday.

• Like 1