Mother seeks safety advice for sons on motorbikes

Addonvalue

To all you seasoned bikers -- I'm looking for the voice of experience for some wise suggestions and advice concerning SAFETY gear for my sons . I would rather NOT have them ride bikes but being that we are in Bangkok, this is a neccesary evil. You just cannot get around this traffic-locked city with ease without a bike. With the high mortality rate of 55 motorbike accidents per day in Thailand, I am looking to ensure that they have what they need to protect the neck, spine and vital organs .

i have to consider that whatever gear it is, it should not be hot or heavy and a bother to wear.

I don't want to get stuff that they would rather do without.

What do you guys wear? I am not the 'rich farang' type so I don't have a big budget for this -- I had checked Motoair airbag vests which were selling for $180 (Singapore) and this seemed like a fair price.

http://www.airbagjacket.com.sg/products.php?category_id=61

Would anyone here be able to help give some advice -- asap -- as I am trying to make some decisions over the weekend, before friends come up from Singapore -- if I can't find anything better in Bangkok, I will have to get that Motoair vest from Singapore, via friends.

Thanks for reading and responding!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally won't wear it and would opt for a normal jacket with armor with sleeves. I wouldn't wear anything that isn't comfortable and this jacket looks balky to me and also sleeveless.

One thing you should invest in is the riding school for them, not sure if available in Thailand.

This is my opinion of course, others may disagree.

To all you seasoned bikers -- I'm looking for the voice of experience for some wise suggestions and advice concerning SAFETY gear for my sons . I would rather NOT have them ride bikes but being that we are in Bangkok, this is a neccesary evil. You just cannot get around this traffic-locked city with ease without a bike. With the high mortality rate of 55 motorbike accidents per day in Thailand, I am looking to ensure that they have what they need to protect the neck, spine and vital organs .

i have to consider that whatever gear it is, it should not be hot or heavy and a bother to wear.

I don't want to get stuff that they would rather do without.

What do you guys wear? I am not the 'rich farang' type so I don't have a big budget for this -- I had checked Motoair airbag vests which were selling for $180 (Singapore) and this seemed like a fair price.

http://www.airbagjacket.com.sg/products.php?category_id=61

Would anyone here be able to help give some advice -- asap -- as I am trying to make some decisions over the weekend, before friends come up from Singapore -- if I can't find anything better in Bangkok, I will have to get that Motoair vest from Singapore, via friends.

Thanks for reading and responding!

It's this simple keep your speed low and you will never have a serious injury, you and anyone else should wear helmets, always know what is behind you and never ever stop suddenly at red lights, people behind you will assume you are going through and crash! slow down in plenty of time when you see the lights changing! just use your common sense!

Probably the best protection you can provide for your boys is to have them properly trained in defensive riding.

Unfortunately, even when wearing the ultimate in safety gear, a motorbike rider will always come off worse when involved in an accident. My worry would be the time it would take for any correctly trained medical assistance to arrive at an accident. More damage can be caused in Thailand by the "Rescue" crew moving an injured person.

I would never allow any child of mine, of whatever age, to use a motorbike in Bangkok. Make them set off earlier and suffer the traffic congestion in the relative safety of an air-con bus or taxi. To say riding a motorbike is a necessary evil is complete nonsense. I have never, ever needed to ride a bike in Bangkok, nor have I ever been late for an appointment. One simply needs to be organised. Public transport works. Yes, it's slow, but preferable to death or serious injury.

​Driving slowly definitely does not offer protection, in fact it can be argued that it actually extends your duration of exposure to risk, and confuses other road users. Far, far better to travel at the speed of traffic around you, while driving defensively.

• Like 1

Addonvalue, what bikes your sons want to ride and how old are they?

If they are riding scooters and are young (15-20) i doubt they want to put on any real safety gear, other than gloves and helmet. You can be happy if they put on long jeans pants and other shoes than flipflops then.

If they ride real motorbikes they should be old enough to know they need protection. They should decide on their own what suits them the best. RubberSideDown already made some good suggestions.

• Like 1

The best way to avoid an accident is too avoid it...Get good tires. ;)

Full face helmet, and chest protector....which can also be worn under clothing, no one will see it...maybe gloves too, hands will extend in the event of an accident and try to catch themselves.

2010_Fieldsheer_Armadillo_Chest_Protecto

• Like 1

OP, the best protective item people have on bikes is their brain!

As other posters wrote in this thread, defensive driving training is one thing, but they also need the defensive mindset.

Maybe you should have them watch a few horrible Thai motorcycle accident videos? I have kept a few on my harddrive to show to my son later when he will be old enough to drive a MC.

No worries for your son. Just a good helmet, a good jacket, gloves, knee protectors and boots and he should be fine.

It also foolish not letting him drive in bangkok as all this time he will save in traffic so do not listen people here like ' i never let my son drive a bike' as there are millions of sons and daughters riding in Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I talked with the OP several times & I think what she is asking is more for tips on what GEAR works best & where to obtain it in Bangkok area.Rubberside & KRS are on the right track. Anyone else have some good gear suggestions for her in the $160.00- $200 dollar range 4500-6000 baht. Alpinestar makes a great set. The good jackets from moto air start at 12000-18000 baht. Joe rocket has some great gear at good prices. Cycleworld in the U.S. offers some gear that is super reasonable on the Bilt brand. Most important is something they will wear faithfully to stay alive in BKK.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 2

Hi Guys! Thanks for the great advice and suggestions! One boy, 18, has to ride to school, facing early morning traffic -- seems like everyone around is trying to get to school too (you know what I mean?!) He rides a CBR 250 which a friend has left here as she's using something else at the moment. The other older son drives a Fino. Neither of them are really 'into' bikes or know outlets/the market.. etc...

I think I'm coming down to the final decision here of getting what KRS1 suggested -- depending of course, on the cost and WHERE I'd find it; as well as the Alpinestarts Bionic 2 suggested by Rubberside Down (if I can actually get it for $200?? ) By the way, do both these jackets have protection for the NECK?

Well, being that we're not too initiated about the biking outlets here, do you think you guys could help direct us to where we need to go in Bangkok (or on the net) to locate a good buy in these jackets. I'd really like to get this going asap . Thanks again for your help!

Hi Guys! Thanks for the great advice and suggestions! One boy, 18, has to ride to school, facing early morning traffic -- seems like everyone around is trying to get to school too (you know what I mean?!) He rides a CBR 250 which a friend has left here as she's using something else at the moment. The other older son drives a Fino. Neither of them are really 'into' bikes or know outlets/the market.. etc...

I think I'm coming down to the final decision here of getting what KRS1 suggested -- depending of course, on the cost and WHERE I'd find it; as well as the Alpinestarts Bionic 2 suggested by Rubberside Down (if I can actually get it for $200?? ) By the way, do both these jackets have protection for the NECK?

Well, being that we're not too initiated about the biking outlets here, do you think you guys could help direct us to where we need to go in Bangkok (or on the net) to locate a good buy in these jackets. I'd really like to get this going asap . Thanks again for your help!

I don't like your remark that neither of your sons are really into bikes. I would recommend training.

You can order the Bionic 2 jacket for under $200 shipped off eBay, though there will probably be import taxes.

Neck braces are expensive, bulky, and generally for off-road and track use- they'll wear it once and never put it on again. I have a lot of gear, and I would never bother with it on the street (that's not to say there aren't situations where it could help, but you have to look at it realistically).

I think the best you can hope for is that they'll wear some sort of jacket and a decent helmet- even the jacket won't be popular on really hot days (better known in Bangkok as 'everyday';)).

This the the Alpinestars neck brace for $400- I'm sweaty and uncomfortable just looking at it:

alpinestars-bionic-2-carbon-neck-brace-f

Edited by RubberSideDown

neck support, highly unlikely that they are going to wear it....theyll probably take it off when they get around the corner ( i would)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-neck-protector

find a seller in asia - hong kong, china, taiwan etc...

search terms - protective vest & chest protector...some chest protectors do not have a back.

BTW - youre a good mother, the first time i bought a bike, my mother also freaked out and bought me a Bell Moto 3 helmet smile.png

Edited by KRS1

Can someone please direct me to perhaps to the local dealers for some of the abovementioned armor -- around 6 - 7000baht?

I got my Dainese jacket from their shop in Bangkok- I believe it was 6900bt, plus a couple hundred for shipping (all done over the phone and email)- they might still have some- they had large sizes- I got a Euro 54 (US 44) and I know they had them in 56 as well.

I wear the textile way more than my much pricier Dainese leather jacket.

Edited by RubberSideDown

If scooters, get them a full faced helmet (REAL helmets are pretty good) and insist they wear at minimum some kind shoes/ sturdy trainers opposed to flip flops.... anything else, they won't wear because they will look ridic in front of their mates.... and everyone else

Edited by William Osborne
  • Like 2

I talked with the OP several times & I think what she is asking is more for tips on what GEAR works best & where to obtain it in Bangkok area.Rubberside & KRS are on the right track. Anyone else have some good gear suggestions for her in the $160.00- $200 dollar range 4500-6000 baht. Alpinestar makes a great set. The good jackets from moto air start at 12000-18000 baht. Joe rocket has some great gear at good prices. Cycleworld in the U.S. offers some gear that is super reasonable on the Bilt brand. Most important is something they will wear faithfully to stay alive in BKK.

Have you looked at Komine gear from Japan. This website might help http://japan.webike.net/bm/top/Riding+Gear++Apparels/3020/ They are also available in CNX so they must be in BKK.

Edited by Dellboy218

For the good kid : http://www.cm-club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612557

For the naughty kid : http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/ladies-bike-jacket-komine-japan-243463.html

both are authentic and pretty much the same quality and can be shipped to you...both sellers are safe and youd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

If they fit .

Edited by KRS1

Having had a few accidents in late teens and early twenties both in Thailand and Europe can give some useful advice...

Jeans and proper shoes make a big difference and can be worn with no issues even off the bike. Shorts and flipflops hurt for months at even low speeds...jeans stand up and walk off.

Helmet and gloves are also key but bike specific. Get full face helmet and summer bike gloves. Need to secure from theft when left with the bike. And key point...let them pick the style so they are happy to use and wear or it will be left behind.

Jacket is protective but very hot and bulky out here. I wouldnt wear one commuting here. Long trips yes. Kids will ditch it most likely. Fortunately low speeds normally hit hands and knees.

Finally a 250 cbr is a big bike for anyone unexperienced....especially a kid whos not into bikes. Scooter would be safer. On the cbr should definitely have proper jacket. Just takes one high speed show off slide.

• Like 2

"What do you guys wear? I am not the 'rich farang' type so I don't have a big budget for this"

I have been in the same situation in a different country

I figured as so:

I will not let my child end up in a hospital or worse, because of a low budget and my lack of priorities.

My suggestion:

Find something That Works, They Like and Will Use.

Then buy it - do not let price be an issue

Chok dee

• Like 1

Just to confuse the issue even further, all armor is not created equal- the good stuff has a CE-rating of level-1, and the better stuff is rated CE-level 2 (in a nutshell, this has to do with how the force of an impact is dispersed to spare the rider from as much if it as possible)- most newer gear by the big names will have this rating- it will cost more money- it's worth it.

As already mentioned good helmet pants jacket gloves etc etc if off-road a le-att brace is worth every cent but the biggest thing lacking in Thailand is EDUCATION!! Been riding 20 years and the things ive seen here never in a million years would i of thought I'd see crazy stuff like I have!!

As already mentioned good helmet pants jacket gloves etc etc if off-road a le-att brace is worth every cent but the biggest thing lacking in Thailand is EDUCATION!! Been riding 20 years and the things ive seen here never in a million years would i of thought I'd see crazy stuff like I have!!

what is a le-att brace?

My experience is simple.. you buy something good but practical. If its too hot you won't wear it often. I have a nice jacket similar to those shown here that is reasonably cool. But once you stop in traffic your sweating your ass off. On short trips less then 5 km i hardly ever take it. Anyway i know most accidents happen close to home. But you have to practical in the end.. buy something that will be worn... even if it is not the best its better as not wearing anything.

• Like 1

Here are a couple of links of one of the companies I buy gear from in the U.S. It will give you an idea of what you will be looking at everywhere in the world you buy gear at. The jacket I have the Motoair mesh (less the airbag set up) replaced the Joe rocket I fried the sleeve up on the Vulcans exhaust in San Francisco. Joe rocket makes some good gear & inexpensive. Alpinestar & Dainese have way more aggressive armor but also you can spend easily $1600.00 just for the jacket. Since neither of them are doing track times at a local raceway the simpler Joe rocket or close to should work fine. Even Kawasaki had some good deals for jackets a while ago. The most important feature is to make sure to get them gear they will wear. Just like buying a women Jewelry take the kids shopping & hopefully you will get them excited for the gear you want them to wear in your price bracket that way they will be hot to show off the new duds & you are stoked that they will be wearing the gear!

http://www.cyclegear.com/nav/brand/Joe%20Rocket/0
http://www.cyclegear.com/lp/&modaf=a:brand:alpinestars
http://www.cyclegear.com/lp/protection&modaf=a:brand:dainese?icid=brandpage_dainese_0513

$1600 will get you two Dainese suits (Avro, Laguna Seca, Crono, etc are all $800 or less now- I'm thinking about a 2-piece Laguna Seca)- their most expensive leather jacket is ~$700- there are several textile options in the $200-$300 range (which is a reasonable price for a quality jacket).;)

I am currently talking to UK company Strada about a cool protective jacket for bikers, using a lightweight solar reflective material. with a few plastic inserts, to be made here or in China. Aiming for a retail price here of 1500-2000baht, with the additional advantage of being high visibility..

That may take a while, so in the meantime get him to wear something bright and tell him not to race between rows of traffic, someone pulling out is a big danger. I have seen so many "T-Bone" accidents here, all dramatic.

The other thing to consider is the type of helmet, obviously a good quality one, but then there is the debate about style, I would never wear a full face helmet in town, visibility is reduced to almost nothing, with all peripheral vision lost and like wise hearing diminished. They are hotter to wear and the only sacrifice is jaw protection.

Edited by AllanB