Outlook dull as more heavy rain forecast

Lite Beer

INUNDATION
Outlook dull as more heavy rain forecast
The Sunday Nation

30216399-03_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Meteorological Department warned yesterday that heavy rain would continue in lower Central, eastern and southern provinces, with high winds and waves predicted in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand - until October 8 at the least.

Flooding has continued to ravage over 20 provinces, especially those in the Northeast.

Residents in hillside and riverside areas in Kanachanaburi were also warned about the risk of forest floods and landslides, while in Rayong's Klaeng district, more than 100 homes were reported to be under one metre of water, which resulted in an evacuation of children and the elderly.

Disease in Chaiyaphum

In Chaiyaphum, heavy rain also left nine districts flooded with some residential areas under 1-2 metres of water. Many locals were reported to be suffering from skin complaints due to a chemical leak from an Agriculture Office warehouse in Muang district.

In Buri Ram's Ban Kruat district, forest floods damaged sections of road and swept two cars away. However, no injury was reported.

Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaew was also reported to be flooded.

A Suan Dusit Poll found 65 per cent of people feared this year's floods could become as bad as in 2011, while 35 per cent said they believed the government was better prepared now. However, 57 per cent said the government's popularity had been affected by the current floods, while 34 per cent disagreed and said flooding was an inevitable annual event.

Another 39 per cent backed the government's Bt350-billion water-management scheme as a long-term solution, while 36.5 per cent disagreed, saying the scheme was too costly, needed more study, and could lead to an increase in corruption.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-06

• Like 1

while 36.5 per cent disagreed, saying the scheme was too costly, needed more study, and could lead to an increase in corruption.

Seems as tho 36.5% have their finger on the pulse...impressive thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Look at these poor Thais standing in this water totally ignored by the Bangkok elite, government, and military.

YL is off on her travels again and no doubt will be telling APEC leaders there's not a problem and it's all under control presuming that no one will have seen or heard anything about it.

I'm having a weekend away from home and the hotel's cable service has Al Jazeera news from the Middle East which I don't get. Therir news ' crawler ' talks of massive floods in Thailand and lists casualties and extent of flooding. YL will be smiling as she spreads her BS and believing that all she says is being taken as the gospel truth.

• Like 2

Look at these poor Thais standing in this water totally ignored by the Bangkok elite, government, and military.

Since when did the Bangkok elite care a dam_n about anyone but themselves? Remember 2011, when half the Country was quite deliberately left underwater, just so the elite in Bangkok didn't get their feet wet.

Unfortunately, for the "elite" bashrs on here, there are far more middle class and poor people in Bangkok that would be affected by massive flooding in the city. Most of the workers in the Bangkok districts are from upcountry towns and depend on their income to support their rural families in many cases. The elite merely negotiate floodwater in their Benzes and SUVs finding it more of an inconvenience than a disaster.

It wouldn't bother me, personally, if Bangkok flooded, but it would disrupt millions of lives and cause enormous damage to infrastructure.

Also bear in mind a large proportion of the Thai parliament both Democrats and PTP are considered elite simply by their wealth and position.

P.M. Yingluck qualifies as very elite (if there is such a standard)

Unfortunately for many people in the city, Bangkok is Thailand.

We can argue all day but its the economic heart of Thailand.. I was flooded last time.. I don't expect it this time as its far less but still bad for all he people affected. I do think they are a bit too cautious at times with draining water through Bangkok. I hated it when the water was halted too long.

• Like 1

THE FLOODS ARE COMING!!!

JUST IN CASE

Based on the "dull" assessment of the situation, I need info on where to get waders. Such as the ones that river fishermen wear.

I gave mine to an expat who lived in Salaya and even in December of 2011 he had water to his knees in his neighborhood.

Last time I tried to locate him he had moved out. Understandable.

But now I am stuck without my Bangkok flood survival kit.

Information will be greatly appreciated.

TIA wai.gif

Since when did the Bangkok elite care a dam_n about anyone but themselves? Remember 2011, when half the Country was quite deliberately left underwater, just so the elite in Bangkok didn't get their feet wet.

You're right of course. But when you see a photo of these poor Thais standing in this water with not a hand in sight, Thai culture leaps out as so selfish and totally self absorbed. It's a shame.

"Thai culture leaps out as so selfish and totally self absorbed. It's a shame."

That's nonsense. The government may very well be dysfunctional, but even the poorest individuals are willing to help others. That's one of the reasons hunger here is nowhere near the problem it is in the affluent west where people really are totally self-absorbed.

And I suspect that support from resident farang for flood victims in our country of residence is underwhelming compared to our resources as well ... speaking of a self-absorbed community that makes a lot of noise and not much else.

• Like 1

The situation can't be too bad, since most everyone is just bitching about the gov't rather than the water.

By the way, elite has to do with more than money. You can be very wealthy and still not be elite.

The elite you refer to represent a tiny percentage of Bangkok, which is home to more the 25% of the country's population. Beyond that basic social consideration are the economic and infrastructure costs of flooding the city.

• Like 1

I could be mistaken and please correct me if that is the case,

but I believe it's possible the woman is being assisted by a Thai

Fireman. It appears (to me) that the black shirt he wears is adorned

with the International Fireman Emblem. Comments?

Hua Hin is getting drenched with constant heavy rain. It took us 1.5 hours to get where it would normally take 5 minutes tonight because of massive flooding on the main street...at times our car was more of a boat than a car...surprised it didn't stall in some of the deeper sections.

I wonder how many of you can remember a Thai Prime Minister, wearing rubber boots, being carried, above the water and gently put down - so that the attendant photo and video team, could capture the moment when he visited a flooded family in their flooded shack.

His name was Chavalit Yongchaiut.

After Chavalit, a great Taksin supporter, things went from bad to worse.

All the flood news is about people people, people, in the form of residents, government, and economic repercussions. People are but one of thousands of species. This one species has been so successful, it's commandeering land nearly everywhere. In doing so, it destroys habitat, despoils the environment, and severely hampers or eradicates other species. One example: There are no wild mammals in that region, except rats and bats.

What is the carrying capacity, for people, of a river delta which floods for about 2 months every year? About 5 to 10 per rai, if they build their houses on stilts or floating devices. What is the current density of people in that nearly sea-level concrete-covered lowland? Roughly several hundred per rai.