Car Driver Dies After loosing control From Flash-Flood

Rimmer

Good that driver didn't take anyone else with him. Traveling on a bike around Thailand, I was in many situations that I wished this or that idiot had an accident, not good I know but some of those idiots are endangering the lives of others.

• Like 1

Good that driver didn't take anyone else with him. Traveling on a bike around Thailand, I was in many situations that I wished this or that idiot had an accident, not good I know but some of those idiots are endangering the lives of others.

Reminds me of a story my wife told me a few years ago. There was an idiot who took to racing around her home village on a motorbike. Parents were terrified that he would kill a child, so kept them indoors until the inevitable happened and he wrapped himself around a tree. At the funeral the boys mother accused all the other women in the village of praying that her son would die, and they all just stood around looking guilty!

• Like 1

Spalpeen-Your simplistic world of a neat wire mesh cage hardly applies to an auto wreck and live wires. It would seem that you don't have the ability to think beyond one simplistic idea of an intact faraday cage to that of an auto wreck and how the car frame could be touching ground, in a wet condition and there could be a live wire that would allow for an electrical path through an occupant. Whatever, the electric pole impact, not the electricity is what killed him. It was the rescue workers that were afraid they might be electrocuted when they saw sparks.

Correct. The reason that you will nomally be protected from electric current in a car is because the rubber tyres insulate the car from earth, this means that current cannot flow, it's the flow of current which does damage not the voltage. The faraday cage effect has nothing to do with it, a faraday cage needs to be earthed which as explained a car is not.

Spalpeen-Your simplistic world of a neat wire mesh cage hardly applies to an auto wreck and live wires. It would seem that you don't have the ability to think beyond one simplistic idea of an intact faraday cage to that of an auto wreck and how the car frame could be touching ground, in a wet condition and there could be a live wire that would allow for an electrical path through an occupant. Whatever, the electric pole impact, not the electricity is what killed him. It was the rescue workers that were afraid they might be electrocuted when they saw sparks.

Correct. The reason that you will nomally be protected from electric current in a car is because the rubber tyres insulate the car from earth, this means that current cannot flow, it's the flow of current which does damage not the voltage. The faraday cage effect has nothing to do with it, a faraday cage needs to be earthed which as explained a car is not.
Dear me. Another one with no grasp of physics. Airliners in flight are often struck by lightning and they are neither earthed nor have rubber tyres in contact with the ground. And yet the passengers and crew don't get fried. New airliners like the 787 that are made from carbon fibre instead of the traditional aluminium have a metal mesh built into their structure to act as.....yes you guessed it......a Faraday Cage.

Feels like I'm running a seminar on Faraday Cages here. Photo here shows an Emirates A380 struck by lightning on approach to Heathrow in 2011.

post-70418-0-35954700-1381213224_thumb.j

Jesus folks, electricity will always chose way with the least resistance. If a persons sits in a flooded car, the most likely way is it will travel through the metal frame, if a person sitting in a car stuck his head/ arm, etc, out and in a way the electric flow, he will probably get fried. Too many variables are in play to say for certain, but it will always chose the way with the least resistance, that's what a ground wire is for in lots of electronic devices and appliances.

• Like 1

WHEN IS THAI VISA GOING TO START HIRING A REAL JOURNALIST

You cater to the Expat community and they speak English as their mother tong so why not report properly

WOW if I reported like that when I worked for ABC news years ago I would have been fired in a heart beat

Or if they didn't fire you I'm sure they'd at least have ripped your tong [sic] out.

It's funny that no one has yet accused the laws of natural selection and physics for being racist, or of making a tragedy appear simply ridiculous and funny.

How about all the sympathizers (who accuse us of laughing at the consequences of these lunatic behaviors) rush out into the streets and flag down all the lunatics (who are at this very moment pushing the envelope) and hold their hands and give them a big, parting wet kiss before they smash in to something or someone and leave this plane of existence in a senseless (no common sense) fashion? Just make sure when you rush out that you "use common sense" and try not to get smacked by these drivers who are vying with each other to be number one.

Will that calm you down a bit when I express laughter at this comedy of errors? Will that help you to see that the Thais don't give a dam_n about your sympathy before, during or after the event? They don't you know. To merely sit around on one's hands and sympathize when someone punches out on the time clock is even more ridiculous than the manner in which one punches out on the time clock.

I'll go you one better. There is a person out there right now that you would call an idiot were he or she to drive near you. That person is going to be dead soon. So why call them an idiot and then sympathize when they get down the road and smash into a pole or another person and everyone dies? Why not tell people who call idiots for what they are to calm down and be nice to idiots? The logic does not fit the behavior from A to Zed.

Laughing at idiots is a reaction of intelligent people who know better, and who know that those idiots had the same chance to correct their ways before the time to engage in proper and legitimate sympathizing came about.

Engaging in sympathy in this manner, or insisting that I engage in this kind of sympathy - or accusing me of being inhuman when I do not - is really about as ludicrous as showing up to the funeral of a "friend" whom you never called to say "Just called to see how you are doing", or visited whilst they were alive to bring them some cheer and enjoy their company for a bit.

So, going by your logic, the next time a Thai driver, biker, cart pusher, pedestrian, etc. nearly causes you to brake your car into a spin, fight down that hypocritical urge to wish them dead and just smile and sympathize for them whilst they are alive; and perhaps sing a few bars of Cum'Ba'Ya'Lord.

After all... it isn't their fault for not having common sense, is it?

I don't know about you, but that is dam_n funny to me.

Edited by cup-O-coffee