I have my Non B...

angsta

I can assure you, the TL is NOT a myth. We make the application for the TL before the Work Permit and the Waiver has to be presented before the Work Permit is issued. No TL or waiver, no Work Permit.

555 you don't know my school. When you do you get to judge. I don't want some pointless TL ( I am aware what a joke it actually is) as I won't be here again, I just want my WP.

The morons at my place have sent 7 people to Laos and didn't give one of them the correct paperwork for a Non-B. Not one. And this wasn't the same trip but over a period of weeks. And all the teachers were paying for the trip themselves. And I am still processing this crap in October.

A well oiled moron machine. Trust me.

There is no need to be concerned about a teachers licence, it's a myth. Your school should have the WP sorted before your Non immigrant visa expires. Relax and concentrate on 'teaching'.

My school is run by morons.

I have never been asked for one before.

Can they just apply for a WP without a license? Can someone please confirm this...

http://wp.doe.go.th/joomla_wp/index.php/2013-07-25-03-44-08

Download TT.1 or TT.5

Seven days for the WP. Amazing. I guess.

I don't usually work in Thailand and therefore my documents are usually dealt with before I get into the Country. This 'unique' and seemingly ever changing system is relatively new to me and if i'm honest I would prefer to keep it that way. However, I have never been asked about a TL before and everything I have read about it makes it sound like a complete and utter joke. I could of course be wrong.

Many thanks.

I can't give you an exact amount of time, partly because it depends on where you are working. Different offices are going to have different amounts of time.

I do know that from the time the person gets the non-immigrant B, until the Work Permit is issued is pretty to the 3 month mark. I know in one province, after the TL (Waiver) is received, the WP takes only a matter of days.

Hopefully, some other posters are going to be along and give you some idea of the time for the TL and then for the Work Permit or for both combined.

If you have your Non B, then you can expect it take 2+ months to get everything done. It depends on holidays, how fast your paperwork gets put together etc.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the Provisional TL? Once you have that, the WP part can move rather quickly.

It seems the western influence of TV members consider a letter from the ministry of education is some sort of licence. It is used by the employment office to issue a work permit.

The OP could consider the culture here in Asia where time has a different perspective. Relax, your school administrators may appear moronic but what can you do about it? Maybe the answer is nothing - if so why waste you energy being concerned. And prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. If you have to go to Laos again take your time, take a week business leave to do it, Vientiane is a nice place when you look a little closer.

Stay calm, be professional and let the morons do their job.

Good luck

PS ignore the morons on TV

People who deliberately provide misinformation on the forum are subject to a suspension. I have been trying to give some posters the benefit of the doubt, but that is getting more difficult.

If you were given a non-Immigrant B visa for work and did not get the work permit, then getting a second non-immigrant B is not quite so easy. It will require a better explanation than the 'morons' didn't get the paperwork done in time.

Thanks but I won't be going back for a Non-B but a double entry tourist visa from Savhanakhet which will see me to the end of the school year.

I am running a two strikes and you're out policy. I am paying for these visa runs. As much as I love Laos I could do without three visits a year.

The first time I went to Laos the not in anyway moronic staff at my school had six weeks to furnish me with the correct documentation and they were unable to do that. Therefore I had to waste a tourist visa which I didn't want to do as I would prefer to use them when I am on holiday. Now I have the Non-B they have had my documents etc for five weeks and have made zero effort to supply a waiver for my TL. It's October and I doubt they will start the process until the 28th if I am lucky which I have now gathered will be too late.

I wasn't referring to any of your boyfriends or girlfriends when I mentioned the morons running the EP and IEP department at my school. If they are your loved ones then I am sorry but they are most definitely morons. 100%. You should probably come to terms with that and love them for what the are.

This isn't my first job in Thailand but I have never witnessed incompetence of this magnitude. Luckily I don't have to be here and have other options therefore I will suck this up and move on at the end of the year.

Thanks for all your help ;)

I think your waiver can be processed in maybe a week, or maybe less, if you or your school visit krusapa/TCT in Bangkok, in person, with the correct paperwork.

But it can potentially take a lot longer because if left upto your school, there are lots of people the paperwork will pass through and any of them dragging their feet can slow down the process significantly.

If you have a Thai gf or friend who can assist you, going to krusapa yourself will speed up the process. As it removes a lot of links in the chain which might slow down the process.

Your work permit can then be done in around a week, again if the documents are correct.

Once you have your work permit, your visa can be extended in 1 day, if your paperwork is correct.

The guy that fixes my air con is called an engineer - it doesn't make it so and he is not, Teachers at university are called professor - they are not.

To work as a language instructor a foreigner needs a recognised degree and a TEFL certificate. It doesn't make him a teacher. TIT everything is dumbed down./ A degree form a Thai university is equivalent to a UK A level .

The OP is naturally concerned his Non-B will expire and he is working without a WP .

The 'process' has been completed a million times before and call each piece of paper what ever you like, it's immaterial to the OP. All admin will be completed before his Non-B expires. If it isn't he will have no difficulty getting another Non-B from Laos or Penang if paperwork is in order. Been done a million times.

Thanks SlyAnimal but I guess the concept of me teaching and doing the job of the numerous admin staff because they are not competent enough (read too lazy) to do it themselves does not appeal greatly.

I work at a relatively good girls school* who can't seem to keep staff. It's that surprising under the circumstances to be honest. I would rather suck it up and not deal with the frustration of chasing documents around when I can take a couple of passport photos to the border and not have to worry again until April.

* maybe five years ago.

Looks like the OP has made up his mind.

I can appreciate the OP's perspective, as my school similarly drags its feet with paperwork.

One of our staff had his initial Non-Immigrant B expire last year because the school only applied to Krusapa 1 week before his Non B was due to expire (Despite him providing them with his degree + nagging them for months). When he then went to Laos to get a new Non-B, it was declined because they didn't give him one of the letters he required. He subsequently quit and returned to America because of the frustration.

Working in Thailand can be frustrating, as the "Mai Pen Rai" attitude isn't for everyone. Personally I avoid the frustration by doing my WP/Visa extensions myself, as it's too important to leave in the hands of my school alone. Then I can hurry them up about specific documents, and personally deliver them to the various government departments, rather than simply believing my school when they say "We've sent it already, we're just waiting for x", when sometimes they haven't even prepared the documents, let alone sent them.

Visas/work permits/teaching licences aren't really a priority to many schools, as foreign staff are very rarely checked for WPs/Teachers Licences.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

So my school have decided to fire me because they claim that I didn't hand in 3 passport photos that they needed to process my teaching license. No, really.

We had a meeting at 3.00pm on the last day of term and the subject of missing pictures was brought up. I told them I had done it weeks ago and this is the first I had heard of it. Then on Tuesday I had a strange meeting with the head of the English department who insinuated I had lied about handing my own passport photos in. She is a strange lady at the best of times. Not what you might call a people person.

I turned up today and they gave my classes to the other teachers, apparently I should be a mind reader and know I have been fired. It was never said, not even close. The 'meeting' was held in front of the EP department and I asked them afterwards what she was going on about. They had no idea either.

So I to see the director as the head of the English department said she was too busy to talk to me/sack me. The director called and she turned up within minutes. We went through the details and the head of English is basing her decision on 3 missing passport photos and says that finance refuse to pay anyone without the correct documentation. I am in the process or so I thought. I told them this.

My visa runs until December 5th and my contract until April 30th. The IEP department at my school has been through 14 teachers since May. Usually they go quietly which I guess is one of the reasons this women thinks she can act in this manner. The school does not contribute financially towards my Non-B or any other documentation.

Legally what can I do? I have another meeting this afternoon and after that I guess it's the Ministry of Labour.

Any thoughts?