Chiang Mai girls, as seen by...

CMHomeboy78

Did none of these blokes ever go down Loi Kroh then?

No doubt some of them did, but I've never come across any references to it. I don't think there was much to comment on.

The seedy side of town seems to have been on the other side of the river, Charoen Rat to Fah Ham. That was where the "bankrupts of Bangkok" established a community in the 19th century, and the missionaries often remarked on the presence of "soiled doves" among them.

Did none of these blokes ever go down Loi Kroh then?

No doubt some of them did, but I've never come across any references to it. I don't think there was much to comment on.

The seedy side of town seems to have been on the other side of the river, Charoen Rat to Fah Ham. That was where the "bankrupts of Bangkok" established a community in the 19th century, and the missionaries often remarked on the presence of "soiled doves" among them.

There were no girly bars (are we allowed to say that?) on Loi Kroh Rd until quite recently. In fact, when I first came here there weren't ANY bars on Loi Kroh Rd. That was in the olden days.

"As regards the women, they are more active, more industrious, and more intelligent than the men."

Some things haven't changed then!

Agreed.

Grandjean's comments on women - as noted in an earlier topic - are similar to those expressed by Portuguese mercenaries in the 16th century, and by other travellers in other periods, up to, and including our own.

Ian Bushell in a recent talk on Chiang Mai history observed that Ralph Fitch's "...focus on property, riches, and women has a somewhat contemporary ring about it."

Plus ca change...

Edited by CMHomeboy78

Any farang who lived here in the 1970's and early '80s would have stories to tell about the girls and a lot of other things as well.

The boom-times that started after that changed everything, even the people.

The generation that has come of age since then are as different from the older Thais as were the 1960s generation in the west from their parents and grandparents who had lived through the Depression and WWII.

Worlds apart.

Any farang who lived here in the 1970's and early '80s would have stories to tell about the girls and a lot of other things as well.

The boom-times that started after that changed everything, even the people.

The generation that has come of age since then are as different from the older Thais as were the 1960s generation in the west from their parents and grandparents who had lived through the Depression and WWII.

Worlds apart.

The "boom-times" you mention were the rapid changes and modernization of Chiang Mai in the 1980s. But it had been going on long before that, albeit at a slower pace.

The end result is what we see today; a city that is comparable to others in developed and developing countries. If it has lost much of its old character, it has gained a new one. A consumer's delight, with goods and food from all over the world, modern hospitals, an international airport, and a car in every garage.

That's what the majority of Thais want. They are what is driving the trend. Farangs just play supporting roles.

Chiang Mai lost its sovereignty, for all practical purposes, in the early 1870s with the appointment of a resident Siamese commissioner from Bangkok. The Lanna dynasty continued to hold government posts until 1939, but they had no real power.

That period saw the destruction of much of Chiang Mai's cultural heritage. The suppression of the written [Tua Muang] language and the attempted suppression of the spoken [Kahm Muang] language.

The disappearance of almost all of the royal buildings and residences; the Kampang Muang virtually levelled and the corner forts devastated. The massive gates with their fortified inner courtyards obliterated and replaced with stage-set structures nothing at all like the originals.

These changes took place slowly between the 1870s and the 1960s and were part of what the central government saw as the manifest destiny of the country to be united as a whole.

Fascinating information about Chiang Mai.

Too bad there has been so little intelligent interest shown.

As artists [OK, craftspeople] ourselves, we can relate to your 1980 remembered story. It must have been a wonderful time to have been here. Sorry we missed it.

But Chiang Mai as it still is seems like a unique place if you can see past the concrete and glass and plastic, to what is left from the past.

So count us in with those who share your love for our city.

• Like 1

"As regards the women, they are more active, more industrious, and more intelligent than the men."

quite true, seems like farang perverts have been coming to Thailand since 1587.

...and they still think the water buffaloes are really sick.

Fascinating information about Chiang Mai.

Too bad there has been so little intelligent interest shown.

As artists [OK, craftspeople] ourselves, we can relate to your 1980 remembered story. It must have been a wonderful time to have been here. Sorry we missed it.

But Chiang Mai as it still is seems like a unique place if you can see past the concrete and glass and plastic, to what is left from the past.

So count us in with those who share your love for our city.

Thank you for your heart-warming reply.

You sound like the type of people who have made a meaningful life for yourselves here.

Doing creative work is the best possible way to relate to, and live among, these instinctively artistic people.

Yes, Chiang Mai has changed over the years - but so has my wife. She's not the laughing girl that I married thirty-two years ago. But I still love her. Just as I still love Chiang Mai

All the best.

• Like 1

quite true, seems like farang perverts have been coming to Thailand since 1587.

...and they still think the water buffaloes are really sick.

I don't get your point.

"farang perverts" have always found Thailand congenial, for a number of reasons - few of which reflect favorably upon Thais.

But Grandjean's comment on what he saw as the superiority of Chiang Mai women doesn't imply perversion - either his or theirs.

You mention "1587"; the year of Ralph Fitch's arrival here. His bizarre fascination with penis balls, and the women who "...doe desire them", merely puts him in company with Marco Polo and other early travellers who took a great interest in all things sexual in the countries they visited.

That's how I see it.

Thanks for your interest.

"...and at times a pretty silk or gauze scarf cast carelessly over their bosom and one shoulder. Of late years, however, the missionaries have persuaded their female converts and the girls in their schools to wear a neat white jacket, and the custom is gradually spreading through the city and into the neighbouring villages."

Those damned missionaries!

Those 'damned missionaries' did the same everywhere they went..............Hawaii, north and south America, Philippines..............in the name of God.

They seem to have missed Pattaya, so far.

'"farang perverts" have always found Thailand congenial, for a number of reasons - few of which reflect favorably upon Thais.'

That's an interesting observation. I'm not sure I concur with your opinion about it reflecting badly on the culture however. It seems to me that most of us who have worked in less than self actualizing jobs for money have prostituted our bodies, minds, time or whatever so why should sex be any different? I mean from a non-Western-missionary point of view?

I like your work homeboy and it seems that you have changed your view somewhat about the extent to which farangs have been responsible for the changes to CM over the last 40 years. I don't think we matter much at all.

"...and at times a pretty silk or gauze scarf cast carelessly over their bosom and one shoulder. Of late years, however, the missionaries have persuaded their female converts and the girls in their schools to wear a neat white jacket, and the custom is gradually spreading through the city and into the neighbouring villages."

Those damned missionaries!

Those 'damned missionaries' did the same everywhere they went..............Hawaii, north and south America, Philippines..............in the name of God.

They seem to have missed Pattaya, so far.

When missionaries are mentioned, the term "brainless bigot" springs to mind. So many of them are just that.

But when you look at Chiang Mai history in the mid and late 19th century you see that the American Protestant missionaries - along with the British teak wallahs - were the ones who changed things here.

They were not successful in obtaining many converts. Buddhism was too deeply ingrained in the people. But they had a considerable effect upon the lives of the Kohn Muang because they brought modern knowledge with them. Medical treatment, smallpox vaccination, and schools for young people, rich and poor.

They also brought a printing press and set up books and papers in the Lanna [Tua Muang] alphabet.

There are two sides to the coin.