Opinions on Financial Advising Firms in Thailand?

Obviously many of you have been approached by numerous IFA firms by phone, email, etc. What are your opinions of them? Would you ever consider becoming a client? I imagine many of you have a pretty bad feeling about the industry, what would it take to change that or is it too late now?

I think by now most people understand that you never do business with a financial adviser who uses cold calling to get clients. if they stopped doing that, it would help their image a lot. The question is- do they perform well enough to be able to boast about their performance through adverts (tv, magazines, internet etc) and/or word of mouth sales in the way that mainstream/ blue chip financial consulting companies can?

In Australia financial advisers have a bad rep amongst the general population although only a small proportion are bad apples. In Thailand, based on reading Thaivisa threads, their reputation appears worse by a factor of three. Is the difference linked to more actual scams or just more incompetent advisors? less rigorous training and licensing? A captive market of expats that are more gullible and/or less willing to spend time researching the market before talking to an advisor? baseless mud-slinging? or all of the above?

One statistic I would be interested to see though, would be the average return on investment amongst those who made investment decisions in isolation versus those who sought professional advice ... the results might not be as many would predict.

And yes, before anyone chimes in ... I have no doubt there are many highly experienced and knowledgeable investors amongst the Thaivisa readership that are travelling just fine without an advisor, but I was thinking more of folks at other points along the spectrum.

Edited by chiangmaibruce

So if for example a firm's headquarters are outside Thailand, and they just happen to have an office in Thailand does that change anything? Assuming of course the Thai office is following the same regulations as the base and not relatively unregulated Thai investment laws?

• Like 1

So if for example a firm's headquarters are outside Thailand, and they just happen to have an office in Thailand does that change anything? Assuming of course the Thai office is following the same regulations as the base and not relatively unregulated Thai investment laws?

That's something one would follow up, but Aberdeen have a decent reputation so therefore worth looking into further if one wants a financial advisor.

http://www.aberdeen-asset.co.uk/aam.nsf/Thailand/Home

Edited by yoshiwara

Depends if their offices in Thailand cold call- if they do then no, it doesn't change anything,

Very few credible ones, probably best of dealing with an established and regulated company, with a long track record. A lot if these Tha IFA companies are run by chances and used car salesmen. There are a number of threads regarding some of these companies, but as several posters have already stated, stay away from these vermin.

Depends if their offices in Thailand cold call- if they do then no, it doesn't change anything,

What you have to understand is financial regulation in today's world is based entirely on domicile or residence of both the buyer and seller. That means a UK domiciled financial institution's subsidiary in Bermuda, Gibraltar or the Cayman Islands is not covered by UK regulations even when providing financial products to UK residents. Many higher yield deposits have been flogged by apparently blue chip UK institutions out of these tax havens to UK residents by deliberately creating the illusion that they were covered by UK regulation which they were not. Things like UK deposit protection don't even apply to the British offshore centres of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man which have their own financial regulations.

Your own residence also has a substantial impact. For example, if you retired in Thailand, you are not covered by UK regulators, even if a regulated UK domiciled firm sells you a product because the UK Financial Services Act only covers British residents. In addition UK regulated persons like IFAs are only subject to UK regulation when they are working for a regulated UK firm in the UK. As soon as they leave this firm or work for it outside the the UK, their licensing lapses and they are no longer regulated. Thus IFAs working in Thailand who claim to be UK licensed are by definition making a fraudulent claim. Many were never licensed in the UK anyway.

• Like 2

What you have to understand is financial regulation in today's world is based entirely on domicile or residence of both the buyer and seller. That means a UK domiciled financial institution's subsidiary in Bermuda, Gibraltar or the Cayman Islands is not covered by UK regulations even when providing financial products to UK residents. Many higher yield deposits have been flogged by apparently blue chip UK institutions out of these tax havens to UK residents by deliberately creating the illusion that they were covered by UK regulation which they were not. Things like UK deposit protection don't even apply to the British offshore centres of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man which have their own financial regulations.

Your own residence also has a substantial impact. For example, if you retired in Thailand, you are not covered by UK regulators, even if a regulated UK domiciled firm sells you a product because the UK Financial Services Act only covers British residents. In addition UK regulated persons like IFAs are only subject to UK regulation when they are working for a regulated UK firm in the UK. As soon as they leave this firm or work for it outside the the UK, their licensing lapses and they are no longer regulated. Thus IFAs working in Thailand who claim to be UK licensed are by definition making a fraudulent claim. Many were never licensed in the UK anyway.

I am sure to an extent this is very true, but regardless it's up to the due diligence of the client to investigate if what the adviser is saying is true or not. I know of some companies that truly due follow outside regulations (Hong Kong for example), some who clearly do not, and some who fraudulently claim that they do. As far as blackballing the entire industry I think that is a bit shortsighted. If you put the time into seeing what is really happening to your investment (which you always should no matter if it's an IFA, yourself, family, or your best friend) there is a valuable service being offered if the firm is reputable and operating under strict regulations.

I am sure to an extent this is very true, but regardless it's up to the due diligence of the client to investigate if what the adviser is saying is true or not. I know of some companies that truly due follow outside regulations (Hong Kong for example), some who clearly do not, and some who fraudulently claim that they do. As far as blackballing the entire industry I think that is a bit shortsighted. If you put the time into seeing what is really happening to your investment (which you always should no matter if it's an IFA, yourself, family, or your best friend) there is a valuable service being offered if the firm is reputable and operating under strict regulations.

They may claim to be following the regulations of another country but so what? If they are not operating in Hong Kong and the clients are not resident there, there is no recourse to the regulators or courts of Hong Kong. Hong Kong doesn't have a particularly strict regulatory regime but, if you feel that is suitable for you, you would do better to open account with a licensed wealth manager in Hong Kong (e.g. Citibank, Standard Chartered) and they will follow Hong Kong regulation for fear of reputational risk, even if you are not resident there and not covered by their regulation.

In any event, what credibility can you place in a claim to be voluntarily operating under the regulations of another country, while operating illegally in Thailand without a license and a work permit that accurately describes the scope of work? Most regulators will blacklist any licensed individuals or firms that are known to be violating regulations and laws of other jurisdictions. The proposition is a contradiction in terms.

• Like 1

They may claim to be following the regulations of another country but so what? If they are not operating in Hong Kong and the clients are not resident there, there is no recourse to the regulators or courts of Hong Kong. Hong Kong doesn't have a particularly strict regulatory regime but, if you feel that is suitable for you, you would do better to open account with a licensed wealth manager in Hong Kong (e.g. Citibank, Standard Chartered) and they will follow Hong Kong regulation for fear of reputational risk, even if you are not resident there and not covered by their regulation.

In any event, what credibility can you place in a claim to be voluntarily operating under the regulations of another country, while operating illegally in Thailand without a license and a work permit that accurately describes the scope of work? Most regulators will blacklist any licensed individuals or firms that are known to be violating regulations and laws of other jurisdictions. The proposition is a contradiction in terms.

In what way does that mean they are operating illegally in Thailand if they are following top down Hong Kong regulations from the head office?

In what way does that mean they are operating illegally in Thailand if they are following top down Hong Kong regulations from the head office?

As is clearly pointed out above it means you have little or no legal recourse in the event of a dispute.

It might help if the OP could explain how being HK regulated (in HK but not directly in Thailand) helped protect those clients (of Barclay Spencer) who were investors in the (now notorious) Football Fund, set up by London Nominees which was an affiliate of Barclay Spencer (since renamed Platinum Financial services). From other posts he has made it seems the OP works for (or at least has links with) PFS

Andrew Drummond did a great piece on Barclay Spencer and the Football Fund but I am not sure if we are allowed to post links to his site on here; anyone interested can google it

Edited by wordchild

To the OP,

lets cut to the chase here, are you looking to invest money in Thailand, or are you selling products in Thailand?

Aberdeen has already been mentioned, I hold assets with them here in Thailand and also the UK.

UOB, formerly ING is another I hold assets with.

If you are looking for advice on how to flog dodgy products, ask yourself why I have invested with the two instiutions above and not from some fly by night, therein you may find the answer.

If you are looking for advice on how to invest in Thailand, please ask.

I simply asked a question, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am curious as to what those opinions are.

Regardless of how many people have been burned by "fly by nights" there are still reputable companies operating here that aren't "flogging dodgy products." It isn't that difficult to separate the two, but I guess it is even easier to condemn it all...

I simply asked a question, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I am curious as to what those opinions are.

Regardless of how many people have been burned by "fly by nights" there are still reputable companies operating here that aren't "flogging dodgy products." It isn't that difficult to separate the two, but I guess it is even easier to condemn it all...

I learned a long time ago, not only in Thailand but elsewhere in Asia and the UK, dont play with fire and you wont get your fingers burnt.

My experiences were from observing fellow workers and expats being sold products that were totally unsuitable to their needs.

When questioned why they had invested in a particular product, the answer was usaully, that what the guy recommended.

Anyway to answer your questions,

Obviously many of you have been approached by numerous IFA firms by phone, email, etc. What are your opinions of them?

To be avoided at all costs.

Would you ever consider becoming a client?

Never.

I imagine many of you have a pretty bad feeling about the industry, what would it take to change that or is it too late now?

To change it would mean Thailand getting its act together and regulating the industry, should that ever happen, which I doubt, it may sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Personally from my own point of view, its too late the damage has been done, for that you can thank your financial colleagues who washed up on these shores before you.

Theres a certain pub on Suk where you may find the answers to your questions.

• Like 1

I note that Platinum, formerly Barclay Spencer of Football Fund fame, got a very favorable write-up in the Chiang Mai Mail's latest edition for their seminar held here recently....is this the start of a BKK takeover bid to fill the void? If so, no change there (or rather here) then.

For those who want to read - the head is 'Professional Services from Qualified People'....

I would like to echo what Loiner & Arkady wrote.

I have personal experience of one of the local 'IFA experts' and they and others recommended an Australian fund which has recently gone bad. Due diligence - round of golf with the sales rep.

The fund group LMIM (it's all over the internet), which my fund is part of, has been recommended by these used car salesmen in Thailand, HK, Dubai, Australia, China, Malaysia, Malta & who knows where else.

My recommendation is to do your own research. There are sites like Bloomberg, Trustnet offshore & others that have details about funds & their performance. Local fund management groups like Aberdeen are also worth a look. Read any prospectus thoroughly and check out the fund group's performance. Get a second opinion if you have a knowledgeable friend.

Look at ETFs if you are prepared to invest in the stock market. ETF are exchange traded funds that can be bought & sold daily and have a much lower management fee structure than mutual funds.

I would like to echo what Loiner & Arkady wrote.

I have personal experience of one of the local 'IFA experts' and they and others recommended an Australian fund which has recently gone bad. Due diligence - round of golf with the sales rep.

The fund group LMIM (it's all over the internet), which my fund is part of, has been recommended by these used car salesmen in Thailand, HK, Dubai, Australia, China, Malaysia, Malta & who knows where else.

My recommendation is to do your own research. There are sites like Bloomberg, Trustnet offshore & others that have details about funds & their performance. Local fund management groups like Aberdeen are also worth a look. Read any prospectus thoroughly and check out the fund group's performance. Get a second opinion if you have a knowledgeable friend.

Look at ETFs if you are prepared to invest in the stock market. ETF are exchange traded funds that can be bought & sold daily and have a much lower management fee structure than mutual funds.

Trustnet is particularly useful for looking at the breakdown of funds

I am looking at this assuming op is somehow a believer in financial services. Or a newbie believer?

I view it like spam in your inbox. I assume that you work the %'s the same way as spam to find the truly gullible.

How any body is prepared to pay for this stuff is way beyond my understanding ( which probably is not that far reaching)

a fool and money separated..

What is the percentage uptake on these "reputables" out of interest?, perhaps you believe your own ... sales blurb

I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. What's so difficult in buying a few shares or bonds? After all that's more or less what they do, and charge a hefty commission for the privilege.

When they make you money they make money, when they lose you money they still make money, what's the point I'm that.

Invest in companies you know and are involved with and feel are well run. If for example you bank with bkk bank and they appear to be busier every month it's a good sign, if the customers are always complaining and the bank is always empty it might imply its going downhill and best avoided