Renewing IDP vs Thai Driver's License

shiroboi

So I'm coming up on the end of my first year in Thailand. My International Driver Permit will expire at the end of the year. I'm wondering if I should just renew it by mail or if there's a benefit to getting a Thai drivers's license.

Any thoughts?

Your IDP in conjunction with your national drivers licence permits you to drive for a maximum of 3 months in Thailand.

If you are in Thailand any longer than 3 months I believe it is law that you have a Thai Licence.

Application is a fairly simple process at a Department of Land Transport office. You will first be issued with a 1 Year Thai Drivers Licence which you can then extend to 5 years at the end of the first year.

• Like 2

Your IDP in conjunction with your national drivers licence permits you to drive for a maximum of 3 months in Thailand.

If you are in Thailand any longer than 3 months I believe it is law that you have a Thai Licence.

Application is a fairly simple process at a Department of Land Transport office. You will first be issued with a 1 Year Thai Drivers Licence which you can then extend to 5 years at the end of the first year.

I have not heard of this rule but if you plan to spend a lot of time driving here in LOS, it is easy to 'convert' an IDP to a Thai drivers license - only be sure you do it before your IDP expires. If you don't you will have to pass a written test, get an (easy to get) medical form from a doctor, etc., ect.

• Like 1

I have not heard of this rule but if you plan to spend a lot of time driving here in LOS, it is easy to 'convert' an IDP to a Thai drivers license - only be sure you do it before your IDP expires. If you don't you will have to pass a written test, get an (easy to get) medical form from a doctor, etc., ect.

the 3 month rule is correct.

on the IDP running out, in some traffic department offices, as long as the original license is in English, you dont even need an IDP to convert your existing license to a Thai DL.

but yes if your living here and driving get a Thai DL as soon as you can..

• Like 1

but yes if your living here and driving get a Thai DL as soon as you can..

+1, ASAP, easy and no more need to renew IDP.

Strictly speaking you are driving illegally with an IDP past the allowed time span (3 months?).

Could get you in (insurance) troubles in case of an accident.

• Like 2