Visa exempt countries - want to take the GF away at xmas

thelongshoot

Sorry, bit of a naff topic title. Last year we went to Chiang Mai and Pai but this Christma/New Year we fancy going overseas somewhere. I cant be bothered with the visa hassles and would like to go somewhere where my GF can enter visa exempt. Either that, or get a visa easily.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice place to go at that time of year - somewhere that a Thai might like?

Its a wide open vague question but i guess I am just looking for suggestions where some of you took your GF without visa hassles, and loved it.

Was thinking about Maldives but it may be a bit hot there for her...

Hong Kong - no sun (especially not in December), but right up MY proverbial alley in terms of fun. And the food....oh my..!!

Singapore - sun and you can hop on the ferry to Bintan and spend time at one of the resorts if beach is what you're after.

• Like 1

Maldives = oppressive regime.

also = bloody expensive

My Mrs loves Cape Town...but at time of the year if your worried about the heat, maybe wrong time of the year, as it gets rather toasty

Thai nationals 30 day visa waiver

Edited by Soutpeel

Thanks to you all for the replies. I hadnt thought of south africa - i am pondering that now. Snow has been mentioned as something she realy wants to see so I guess south korea could be an option yes.... I cant think of anywhere else in the 'region' that would guarantee snow?

Hong Kong and Singers also a good idea, thanks.

Just after somewhere different realy... Somewhere with culture and not in any way simmilar to Thailand I guess

On our first trip, the locals told us that Nepal stands for Never Ending Peace And Love. They were right and we've gone back every couple of years since. It's so easy to get to from BKK, it's even possible to do a long weekend there. There's loads to do beyond trekking, and there's always something happening year round. Be sure to add Chitwan national park and the amazing town of Patan to your list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patan,_Nepal

On our first trip, the locals told us that Nepal stands for Never Ending Peace And Love. They were right and we've gone back every couple of years since. It's so easy to get to from BKK, it's even possible to do a long weekend there. There's loads to do beyond trekking, and there's always something happening year round. Be sure to add Chitwan national park and the amazing town of Patan to your list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patan,_Nepal

Yep... It is the sort of place you will deffinately go back once you been there once.

I will add Patan and Chitwan to my schedule in November.

If I can get hold of some gold pans, I would love to have a crack at some panning in the mountain streams. The geology of the Himalayas is perfect for gold.

Hong Kong - no sun (especially not in December), but right up MY proverbial alley in terms of fun. And the food....oh my..!!

Singapore - sun and you can hop on the ferry to Bintan and spend time at one of the resorts if beach is what you're after.

I live in Singapore. I wouldn't personally recommend it, though I know many Thais actually like it because it's "clean" (not an attraction to me). That said, it's just a city, and an expensive one at that ... especially the hotels. I'd personally go with Bali ... good beaches, affordable nightlife, and an interesting culture that a lot of Thais would connect with. Previously took my Thai gf to Siem Reap and she loved it, but she may not be that typical...

• Like 1

Klubex99,

Thank you for the introduction to Nepal, My son married a young lady from there and she is the sweetest most considerate Daughter-in-law I have, I would love to see the country she comes from.

Thank you again for your very informative post.

Cheers:wai2.gif

The Philippines is one destination she won't need a visa and it's cheap to fly there with Cebu Pacific,

there you will find some of the most amazing beaches sceneries, cheap eat and cheap hotels.

Well in my experience the hotels are a rip off $150 to $200, the food is AWFUL, Boracay is full of Korean travellers or locals who stay up all night, Palawan is full of dog turds and bloddy expensive to get to with all the little add ons. The rice terraces are nice but you can't get there without hitting Manila.

Manila is a tip, and nothing to see or do that doesn't involve going to a mall. Ask a few Thais who have been to Manila how hungry they were on their trip and how grateful they were to return to the LOS.

OP Thanks to the post from Klubex I think you've found a winning destination with Nepal.

• Like 1

Bali ticks the boxes for me. Sun, sand, sights. The rice terraces are a must. Sanur is a laid back beach destination, plenty of restaurants and resorts. Biking down a beautiful beach, bike rental was a reasonable price . The food is different but still feels asian. The prices here were very reasonable, If your very big bags are very full of money Singapore is cool.

Maldives = oppressive regime.

also = bloody expensive

My Mrs loves Cape Town...but at time of the year if your worried about the heat, maybe wrong time of the year, as it gets rather toasty

Thai nationals 30 day visa waiver

I doubt anyone used to Thai weather would find Cape Town very hot in December. Usually in the mid 20's, rarely hitting 30 degrees and usually quite cool in the evening along with a continuing sea breeze.