Tourist Visa Australia

Hello All,

My Thai GF has recently been issued with a Three Month Tourist Visa to come and visit me in Australia. Thanks to all who have posted. I myself have not started many topics or made many posts. I have found through previous posts by others I have able to source enough information to assist my GF in submitting a successful application. :D

The interesting point to my post is the conditions on the Visa, QUOTE “MULTIPLE TRAVEL. HOLDER PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA FOR 3 MONTHS FROM DATE OF EACH ARRIVAL".

Would I be correct to interpret this as, my GF can stay with me for 3 Months, at the end of the Three month period return to Thailand (say for two weeks), then come to Australia for a further 3 Months & so on & so on, until the Visa expires (One Year).

If I have read this correct this is fantastic!!!!!! :D

My friend also has his Thai GF visiting him at the moment and she has the same type of Visa with the same conditions.

Can anyone advise if I have interpreted the Visa correct or incorrect???? :o

Are the aforementioned Visa Conditions commonly issued????

Cheers

PAK

I assume that you dont need to return to Thailand to start the new Visa you could visit a cheaper destination such as New Zealand or Indonesia? would you need a Visa to visit these countrys ?

Same as a visa run in Thailand ?

Not entirely sure, but thought there was a tourist visa rule in Oz that you had to exit the country for at least the amount of time you have spent in the country, so if you were there for three months you could not come back for three months.

And, yes, visa needed for NZ for Thais, and harder than it was to get, these days, due to Thais overstaying and working there.

Not entirely sure, but thought there was a tourist visa rule in Oz that you had to exit the country for at least the amount of time you have spent in the country, so if you were there for three months you could not come back for three months.

And, yes, visa needed for NZ for Thais, and harder than it was to get, these days, due to Thais overstaying and working there.

Hello all,

Has anyone utilized the Multiple travel option on this type of Visa? If so where there any conditions attached to the length of time required out of Australia until permitted to return?

Cheers

PAK :o

Hello all,

Has anyone utilized the Multiple travel option on this type of Visa? If so where there any conditions attached to the length of time required out of Australia until permitted to return?

Cheers

PAK :o

Not that I am aware of.....was talking to a guy today who brought his girl back 1 month after she had stayed for three months, no problems.

Hi all..yes we also got our 12 month multiple entry Tourist Visa after applying on 10 April got passport back on 21 April ..having first met in Dec 05....My dear is with me now in Perth.

My application was quite extensive with over 3.5kg of info ( thanks to tips and info from here )...

Yes the wording is a bit tricky on the visa and 12 months come and go is what is meant.....If you read closely you will also see that the visa is good for 15 months because if you arrive on second last day before it expirers you still get a further 3 month stay !!!! Thanks for all the previous posts that helped us.........maybe will meet some of you in Perth . ??

A multiple tourist visa allows many entries for as long as it is valid.

While there is no set policy (ie you must be away for as long as you're in) there is always the possibility an Immigration Inspector at the airport might decide you are not a genuine tourist, but are in fact using the visa for defacto residence. Refusal of entry and visa cancellation results.

If you are using this sort of visa to gain 12 (or 15 months) stay with a short pop out to a neighboring country every 3 months, be prepared for the worst on each subsequent arrival. In many ways it is the luck of the draw. Many get away with it. Remember previous travel will be looked at before the next visa is issued.

• 2 weeks later...

My Thai made a two week "visa run" to BKK from Sydney in February on his one year multiple entry visa to OZ without a hitch.

Now going to NZ this week. Post regarding visa requirement for Thais to NZ is news to me. I will check out. Prior information was not needed. Can anyone say for sure?

While there is no set policy (ie you must be away for as long as you're in) there is always the possibility an Immigration Inspector at the airport might decide you are not a genuine tourist, but are in fact using the visa for defacto residence. Refusal of entry and visa cancellation results.

If you are using this sort of visa to gain 12 (or 15 months) stay with a short pop out to a neighboring country every 3 months, be prepared for the worst on each subsequent arrival. In many ways it is the luck of the draw. Many get away with it. Remember previous travel will be looked at before the next visa is issued.

Sorry Old Croc, but this is not accurate advice.

I have made inquiries with the Dept Immigration in Sydney. They advise that a multiple entry visa entitles the holder to enter Australia as a tourist. The life of the visa is 12 months and the maximum stay per visit is for 3 months.

In most cases the visa holder will be living in a de-facto relationship with their partner. One purpose of such a visa is to test the waters, so to speak, before applying for a spouse visa. The holder is regarded as a tourist and the only restrictions are that they cannot seek or engage in employment whilst in Australia, nor can they seek an extension to the life of the visa. Who they live with or where they live is their private affair.

Once the 3 month period has ended, they must leave the country. There is no time restrictions as to how long this period should be. For example, if they flew off to New Zealand for 48 hours and returned, they would be admitted into the country...........PROVIDED (and I stress this point) that they meet all conditions as stamped upon the multiple entry visa.

These conditions can vary from visa to visa. Two 12 month multiple entry visas on issue to 2 different people, may well have differing conditions stamped upon their repective visas.

You need to check the conditions carefully.

From what I have been told, it would be most unusual for overly restrictive conditions to be imposed upon this type of visa.

Sorry Old Croc, but this is not accurate advice.

Not meaning to be impolite to Mighty Mouse who has obviously put some great time & effort into his reply but

1. don't take any advice from australian immigration at face value, it is a common misconception they are there to 'assist you', this is not the prime objective which is to enforce the migration laws, they can be very very helpful at times, they can also be very very misleading and will commonly log any statements made at any time on any matter into the database

2. Without making any comment on, or endorsement of, any opinion relating to migration posted here, Old Crocs are famous for being wily wise old beasts

3. If the consequences for a failed visa are serious/important seek proper advice BEFORE speaking to immigration. Look for those with an accrediation in migration law. If you need to save money, prepare all docs and application forms and ask for an opinion only, shouldn't be too expensive but will clue you in to any potential issues BEFORE you get caught in the never forgiving immigration database

Mighty Mouse has done a good job in his reply and deserves credit, however please be careful of taking the stock standard immigration answer as gospel

Edited by Douggie Style

Douggie,

Over the years I have gained a lot of experience in dealing with various government departments.

There are times when some departments seem to hinder you rather than help you.

From my experience, these times are quite rare.

In this thread we are dealing with two government departments, the Immigration Dept. and Customs.

Both have a charter, a set of policies and procedures. Policies and procedures are a guideline only but are usually fairly closely adhered to by officials.

If officials make decisions contrary to the policy/procedure/guidelines, they need to have good reason. If not, the department can be subjected to judicial challenge. (There would be a process of reviews and appeals before it gets to that point.)

As we are only talking about a tourist visa here, there is not much that can go wrong. The Immigration Dept. grant a multiple entry visa with or without conditions. The Customs Dept. process tourists when they arrive in Australia and again when they leave. If they break one of the conditions upon arrival/departure, Customs will act. If a condition is broken whilst touring Oz, Immigration again become involved.

If for some reason the holder of a multiple entry visa has concerns, similar to those raised by you in your post, they would be well advised to seek advice/clarification about their visa but this should not be regarded as being a normal requirement, and I certainly wouldn't advise that they pay another party to make inquiries on their behalf.

Immigration and Customs may have their faults but I believe they try to act in the best interests of Australia first, it's citizens second and Australia's visitors third.

They have no sinister agenda.

You have made some serious allegations in point 1 of your post regarding departmental data base records. If you have certain information regarding any mal-practice I suggest that you give the evidence to the ombudsman for investigation.

For the sake of any tourist seeking information about a multiple entry visa in this thread, we don't need to introduce questionable scare mongering side issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mighty Mouse,

Re your comment,

'As we are only talking about a tourist visa here, there is not much that can go wrong.'

is simply not borne out in practice.

My experiences directly related to this area on a day in day out basis, it is a major area of problems especially from Thailand. For verification simply call and ask any pro bono migration lawyer, get a seat first as it will be a long call.

Re your comment;

‘For the sake of any tourist seeking information about a multiple entry visa in this thread, we don't need to introduce questionable scare mongering side issues’

This is really hardly worth responding to.

Forewarned is often forearmed not paranoia or scare mongering, with a visa application you cannot be forewarned enough, if funds are an issue read the Immigration Kit (most recent version) and the DIMA website carefully, if things are unclear you may be able to get pro bono advice however these resources are very limited.

Re your comments:

'Immigration and Customs may have their faults but I believe they try to act in the best interests of Australia first, it's citizens second and Australia's visitors third.

They have no sinister agenda. '

I agree, there is no sinister overall agenda, my apologies if that was the impression given, however the practical results equate to the same outcomes.

For example, have sighted enough files where innocent counter inquiries have been completely misreported/construed and led to serious problems years down the track through a slanted and over suspicious officer coming to wrong conclusions. Again an applicant can be friendly, but certainly circumspect prior to making inquiries.

Being fair DIMA is huge and dealing with an extremely difficult portfolio. Considering the whole you may validly state it works well. If one had an individual good experience(s) you may come to the conclusion things are hunky dory and work equally as well across the board.

Yet when considering individual stuff ups, the consequences are often dire and catastrophic, not only to the individual but also to an entire families future.

Personally have often lodged written complaints to the Cth Ombudsman including the most outrageous situation where DIMA was advised via its own records of a valid visa yet continued an unlawful detention for reasons unknown. You may be aware of the recent inquiry? proof positive complaints do eventually get a result.

I believe encouraging people putting forward different opinions/experiences assists the average punter deal with the immigration process and the transparency tends to keep the system honest. I do not expect my opinions to be unchallenged however again my opinions are based on real life experiences and experiences of my mentors & peers. If they help the readers great, if they think they are stupid/irrelevant/dated, ok, no problems flame on, grilled both sides with some chilli sauce please, I simply don’t have time to respond, I have given my genuine opinion based on genuine experiences in an effort to help, so will sleep easy.

best of luck

My Thai had a sucessful "border run" to NZ on his one year multiple entry tourist visa. At the time it was issued, we thought he was very fortunate to receive many entries. Obviously not.

After one "border run" to BKK, we attempted to get him an extension, as I had received one for almost a year. His multiple entry visa has a 8503 limitation stamped on it which states "no extentions".

FYI the entire extension request (combined extension request and waiver of 8503 limitation) was returned with a form specifically for the waiver of the 8503 limitation. Then one is to file for an extension if the waiver is granted.

Immigration in Sydney took longer on the refusal of the 8503 waiver request than any extention previously requested. Right up to the day of departure. They would not give the results in person or over the phone. Only by mail. Entire waiver request process to denial by mail took 15 days. I know its one day mail service.

The delay and refusal to say no in person or on the phone angered me as it cost me an additional 100 AUD in airfare due to last minute booking.

Needless to say, the need for a separate waiver request form is not on the website and can only be obtained by request, once you learn a separate form is required.

The waiver section refused to return passports by mail, even though extention department did so. Waiver section is part of visitor department.

I was also angered by the presence of an additional phrase on the refusal letter that was not in the website or in the waiver request form. The additional phrase advised that to qualify, the change in circumstance must be something "out of one's control". The previous information was that "compassionate circumstances" must be present to qualify for the waiver. Thus accident, injury, death or the like is the nature of the event for which the waiver would be granted. Not the fact that ones partner gets a long stay extention and your are an interdependent member of the family.

I had a very positive attitude before this last go around. I always try to reason why immigration does anything, but for the life of me, why they require visa runs, when they grant multiple entry visas I can't fathom.

Sure, visa runs dicourage long stays. Does anyone know why OZ embassy visa service stamps visas with 8503 limitation? Has any of the posters so far had their g/fs visas so stamped?

I do know reciprocal visa practices are prevalent between nations, thus when one nation is restrictive, other nations retaliate with similar restrictions.

What is unfathomable is if one partner in a long term relationshp is granted a nine month extension, why isn't the other, unless its just because one is an asian? I did see an immigration special on Australian TV where they outlined that the "all white" immigration policy practiced by Australia for many decades was purportedly abandoned, but the program said it is still practiced, even though there is no legal or policy reasons any more.

It is interesting to note that Australia has only about 40k illegal immigrants, a very small number compared to most countries. They do have an aggressive removal policy for overstayers.

Hope the foregoing is of help to someone.

The dreaded 8503, my commisserations, what a drama!

If you are still interested, get a copy of the 8503 policy, might find a few interesting twists there. You may also wonder why they didn't give that to you in the begining, enjoy, good bedtime reading.