Canadian baby born in Thailand - how to get a passport?

thailandsteve

Hi All, I've been through the consular services threads and couldn't find anything to answer these questions, which are:

My (Chinese) wife and I are going to have a baby while in Thailand but our home base is in China, eventually moving to Canada.

Does anyone have experience in applying for a Canadian passport (for a baby) from the embassy in Bangkok and if so, what is

the procedure and how long might it take? Also, is there another document we could get in lieu of a passport which would allow

us to take the baby to China and perhaps begin the immigration process from there? We live in Phuket and want to get this sorted

as soon as possible after the baby is born. Will we be required to bring the baby to the embassy in BKK or should sending the

proper paperwork suffice?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Believe first step is getting a canadian citizen certificate. This application can take up to 8 months. Once you have obtained your babies canadian citizen certificate you can then apply for a passport. The documents required are many such as your long form birth certificate, marriage certificates, babies birth certificate as well the Embassy can request a DNA test to verify the blood connection between the parent obtaining the citizenship and the baby. All documents need to be translated into english or french if in a foreign language. Check out the passport canada website for full details.

Easy peasy a friend did it last month, he went to the Embassy in person in Bangkok- only issue was he required his long form birth certificate as well as his passport, no idea why they needed it, but he ordered his provincial birth certificate online and had it sent to a family member then sent here. I don't know from Phuket but there must be a way via post to register the birth.

As for China they may require a passport for the child versus being out on your 5 year or 10 year passport, best to check the Chinese Embassy at the same time.

Give the Canadian Embassy a ring, they are actually very helpful. If they answer and it sounds like Rene Leveques hang up and call back - a total xxxxxxxxxxxx

Congrats BTW the world needs more Canucks :) sorry did I say that...... sorry

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

We are in exactly the same boat. The healthcare in China is just horrendous. I am Canadian and my wife is Chinese. We plan to have our baby in Bangkok and Bumrungrad. I just worry about them allowing us to fly so late in the pregnancy. Also were you guys able to get the passport okay? I am thinking of getting a service apartment in BKK for a month before the pregnancy in case the baby comes early.

YOu need to get the thai birth certificate translated into English. You need to have copies of your passport and wife's. You need recent passport photo for the child. I forget all of the forms to fill out but overall to register the birth and then apply for the passport is fairly easy. As stated above the child is not eligible for Thai citizenship. I also am not sure about the Chinese citizenship but I would be surprised if the child will be granted dual citizenship.

Been through the process myself, quite easy but does take some time.

Child does not need to go to the embassy

Go to the Canadain embassy for the paperwork for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, this is your child's birth certificate if born outside of Canada.

Just like applying for a passport there is a list of requirements and form/paperwork that are needed

When you collect all your paperwork and fill out the forms take it to the embassy and then wait. I was told 9 months to a year for approval.

I got my sons certificate in about 4 months, looks quite nice,much more ornate than a birth certificate. It comes with a nice letter that opens with the line

Congratulations, you are now a Canadian Citizen

once you've got this certificate now you can apply for a passport, first passport is only good for 3 years though. I've got to renew his when I get back from work.

• Like 1