Best Banks for Falang re: transfers and balances

RecklessRon

I'm from the US and use Bangkok Bank as they have an office in New York. Never had a problem in 15 years. Money goes in one day and the next working day it;s avaiiable here.

Do you do any business with your BKK Bank's in Thailand and BKK Bank in New York? Do you do transfers via the NY branch?

You need to open an account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand. You can't open an account at the NY branch. After that you can have your US or Canadian bank or broker do a domestic transfer (if you're using another US bank, maybe also true for a Canadian bank) to Bangkok Bank in NY using the account number of your account at Bangkok Bank in Thailand. You only have one account with Bangkok Bank and use that account number whether making a transfer/deposit in NY or doing something at your local branch in Thailand.

The deposit in NY would be a US $ deposit and in a couple of days it'll show up as a baht deposit here in Thailand. $10 in NY and Baht 200 in Thailand in fees. Since it should be regarded as a domestic bank transfer in the US/Canada, your bank may or may not charge you anything. Mine doesn't.

It will also be indicated at a foreign originated deposit when you update your passbook here. If you need money in the bank and a manager's letter for an extension of stay, your passbook and letter from the bank manager will show you've been making foreign currency deposits.

Like Wayned, I've been doing this for about 15 years with absolutely no problem. I even get an SMS on my mobile when the deposit is credited locally.

NY Branch information here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/InternationalNetwork/InternationalBranches/NorthAmerica/Pages/BranchinUSA.aspx

Thanks Suratit69 & Wayned ...
While your systems sound very good, I think I'll stick with what I've been doing of late.
I have had a BKK Bank acct. in BKK for several years, and had a few problems now and then witn delayed money transfers from USA. However, a few months ago I started having my financial manager transfer funds to my BKK Bank acct. from my Morgan Stanley (MS) acct. in SFO. When purchasing a house last month I had US$1.5M transferred with no MS fee and a minuscule BKK Bank fee. From authorizing the transfer by phone with MS to having the money in my BKK Bank acct, took 36 hours.
Besides having a highly professional money manager in USA, I've found the trick to having such rapid and smooth transfers is to give the international dept. at BKK Bank a heads up with all the wire/transfer details as soon as I get confirmation from MS that the money has been sent (usually within 12 to 24 hours after my verbal authorization, not counting weekends or holidays). Then the right people at BKK Bank are on the lookout for the transfer and expedite it's deposit into my acct.. Otherwise, I've had problems in the past with poor, spaced-out service and delayed transfers.
Now that I have ironed out the problems (hopefully), I've been very happy with BKK Bank, and their i-banking system is much easier to use than my US banks. I can log on, send money to a friend, or pay a bill, or transfer funds to my other BKK Bank acct., and then log off, all within 5 minutes.

I'm from the US and use Bangkok Bank as they have an office in New York. Never had a problem in 15 years. Money goes in one day and the next working day it;s avaiiable here.

I am going to try and open an account with The Bangkok bank next week for the same reasons as you. I'm glad that you have recommended it. There is also a branch in London. Should be easier and cheaper to transfer money from the UK.
I have a local Bangkok Bank acct. Do you have to travel to NY in order to open an acct. there or can it be done by modern means?

You don't need a BB acct in NY if you already have one in Thailand unless you don't have an acct at another bank in US. I send money directly from Schwab to my acct at BB in Khon Kaen. It automatically gets routed through NY. I did this yesterday. This should be possible through any US bank.

I have a Kasikorn account for about 20 years, never had any problem. Transfert from Europe to my account take at most 48 hours. Their online banking is simply tops.

same here i use bank west in perth west aus they send my money in aud every 28 days send it on a monday and i get an sms from my kasikorn bank around 9am on the tuesday[next day]

amount deposited imn my kasikorn acc pattaya in thai baht. last month it was put in my pattaya account the same day mon afternooni

• 2 weeks later...