Mae Sot to Kanchanaburi route 109

Naise

Hi there,

I am planning to tsake my very old 2wd car (It has had money spent on it so i am not worried about breakdowns any more than I would be with a new car) from Mae Sot to kanchanaburi on route 109 next week.

My question for those who have been on the road recently.

Does the link actually exist as i cannot find any maps with it listed and if it does exist can 2wd vehicles make the journey.

I have been told that the road has been linked and sealed so all vehicles can pass. I am going to Ti lor sor waterfall and am not sure if i will need to turn around and come the main roads to get to Kanchanaburi.

Thanks for any advise.

Regards Mark

Edited by Naise

Just been playing with my Garmin maps (2013.20) and Google Earth and it appears that the route 1090 (I assume this is the road you mean?) runs out shortly after the village of Mae Lamung (N15.84087 E98.85223). The road disappears into a narrow track only suitable for a dirt bike. You can see it all on Google Street View as the Google cars penetrated this remote location right to the end of the road.

Have a look at my friend Captain Slash's website http://www.captainslash.com/

He's ridden all the routes around Mae Sot and Kan and has made the trip between the two several times. His reports include photos and road surface info together with maps and GPS coords.

Thanks for the link - a fantastic collection of well documented bike trips.