Import Classic Car Into Thailand

rcav8r

Has anyone any actual experience of importing a classic car into Thailand from another country. It may come from a neighbouring country or other Asian country or Europe, Australasia or USA?Canada. Thanks. MalcolmL

Hey what happenedto that guy who wanted to import his Porsche!?

And the guy who wanted to import his Toyota(Supra?), where customs decided to "borrow" it...forever.... - and he had to try to buy his own car back on auction!? :D

Above said, I doubt you will have any serious problems! (he,he :o )

Cheers!

TukTukMike had a great chronicle online here about the agonies of watching his pride and joy get snatched by Customs and sold to some member of the Customs family at auction. Its a great Don Quixote moment, should get pinned in the motor forum and made mandatory reading before posting in here.

You better have very deep pockets, and lots and lots of patience :o Bad Idea.

Naka.

There are other ways. Let's just say "if you can't beat them, join them. The reference to the clubs was not so bad.

Arthur

It is quite simle, but takes time.

Important note

You must clear all the papers and taxes before shipping the car in, do not try to clear at customs in Thailand when the car has already arrived, then they jest keep it forever.

Talk to customs here in Thailand and at your home country before sending the car.

• 7 months later...
Has anyone any actual experience of importing a classic car into Thailand from another country. It may come from a neighbouring country or other Asian country or Europe, Australasia or USA/Canada. Thanks.

Well, thank you all for your various responses - all very much negative by the way - that's why you don't have to read them all again ! And I've tried all the suggestions too - and more. Zilch !

But I am persisting with this query because the car or cars I'm looking for do not appear to exist in Thailand. These are not 'exotics' like those pictures posted in the Bangkok Post Outlook page 2 on 9 December 2007 at the Gaysorn Shopping Centre's "Bangkok Supercars Concours" in cooperation with the Hiso-Party.com.

But that, of course, might be an even better reason to drop the idea of an import.

But things do have to change - in time ! Don't they ?

So, I repeat my unanswered question - has anyone ACTUALLY imported a classic car - not a modern car which is being done every day of course. If there IS anyone out there who has really done this - not "I know of someone who tried it" - please respond. Thank you.

Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Source:http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesPermanent/PermanentImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalPer

The customs' website is actually pretty good considering it is a Thai government agency! pretty much all info can be found there, including calculation examples...

In short, importing secondhand cars is not allowed, unless by:

Nonresidents: Nonresidents with non-immigrant visas issued by the Immigration Department and work permits issued by the Ministry of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year at the time of importation.

On top of it, you are going to get hit with extremely high taxes (legally, as they can set any value they deem proper on your car and calculate the taxes from there).

So if somebody fancies your car, they just value it at 10 million, making you liable for taxes on that amount, which you don't want to pay. They confiscate, auction it of to the customs officer who likes it for a nominal price of 100 Baht...

And you cannot just send the car back if you don't agree to the tax. Once in Thailand it stays in Thailand!

Sir, the posters are giving you informaton that they and many others are well aware of and have been aware of for many years. These are not old tales, but true stories.

Simply accept other people's advice that it is not a good idea.

CUSTOMS can simply hold on to your vehicle of love forever until you go away. They can wait you out. Or, if you do not pay the taxes that they request within 3 months or so, they can auction it. You will not be able to see it and they will be able to do with it as they choose. As it is an unusual item, there will be dozens of little rules that you will have to abide by, let alone their being able to decide on the price and the tax. If you break any one of these little rules, the you have broken the law and the vehicle is confiscated.

Fifteen years ago the import taxes on automobiles were something like 196% on cars of less than 1.6 liters engine capacity. Higher rates on autos with larger engines. There were additional taxes on the cd players and the like on the vehicles.

Send a letter to the Auto expert at the Bangkok Post and or The Nation, for their Sunday paper and see what he advises. I truely expect that he will give you similar information to the people who have already written above.

One other possibility is to search the internet for car clubs in Thailand that can give you advice on locating a vehicle very similar to the one you want here, and then making any necessary alterations to it. It will not be exactly what you want, but it will be here and it will be yours.

I am from the USA. There we would say, this is not America. You cannot always get what you want. Find something here and similar, and do your best to make it what you want. Do not try to skirt the rules. Do not try to get a national to bring it in for you. Do not use someone at Customs to pre-estimate the tax. These are only ploys. Do not go to the international rules on imprting cars to Thailand at some government agency. They have no say on what the men in Customs do. They are a law unto themselves.

Please let us know exactly what car you want to have here and maybe someone will be able to assist you in locating it.

For safety, there are three things not to move around the world: Electronics, motor vehicles, women.

Good luck

So if somebody fancies your car, they just value it at 10 million, making you liable for taxes on that amount, which you don't want to pay. They confiscate, auction it of to the customs officer who likes it for a nominal price of 100 Baht...

Oh yes, just another reminder of the things I love about Thailand! (NOT) So many greedy T*ats wanting to cheat you!!