Garmin Street Pilot 2720

Today I spent about four hours testing the Street Pilot. I have to give it a grade of 'A'. It would have received an 'A+' but for one error (I first thought it was a goof but now I am not so sure). The Gallery restaurant is on Soi 30 Charoen Krung. I have always thought of it as a one-way street heading west because I have never seen any traffic going east. When leaving the parking lot of the Gallery the Garmin told me to turn east. I refused. Later in the day I visually checked the street to see if there were any road signs that indicated the street was for one-way traffic only. There were none. Perhaps it is defacto one-way but not so dejure.

Tomorrow I am going to test its skills on the motorways. Perhaps I'll drive out to the site of the new Bangkok airport (about a 35 minute hike on several different motorways) and then push the "HOME" button.

No satnav as standard in the Benz??? :o

Not in Thailand.

Okay,

I'm interested. Too many close calls trying to navigate and drive at the same time. The wife is completely useless to help of course and I've given up trying, we have had some great fights over that.

Question. If I buy one outside of Thailand can I get the Thai language option still? Download? Some good deals on ebay and I am in the "States at the moment.

If this has already been answered I'm sorry. I did look!

OK... Quicky question......is there anything decent which is hand held and can be used in BKK and Shanghai ?

At Pantip Plaza...on the 3rd floor there is a shop named Platinium that carries a wide range of hand held GPSs that have maps of Bangkok.

As someone else asked. If I buy the unit in the UK can I get the Thai maps for it from anywhere?

Chris

I am pretty sure that Garmin in BKK can install Thai maps. However, I think that buying the whole think here will be about the same cost as buying in UK. The USA price and the BKK price were about the same.

[*] One minor fault: Throughout the written directions it spells 'left' as 'list'. Like "List onto Sukhamvit Road in 100 meters".

You can change that.

Go into "options" then "settings" and change it from "drunk" to "sober" :o

[*] One minor fault: Throughout the written directions it spells 'left' as 'list'. Like "List onto Sukhamvit Road in 100 meters".

You can change that.

Go into "options" then "settings" and change it from "drunk" to "sober" :o

Good one. :D

As someone else asked. If I buy the unit in the UK can I get the Thai maps for it from anywhere?

Chris

Hi LOR

Although I am no expert,I looked into same problem some time ago and I think that Uk items come pre-installed with 'local'(UK) maps that can't be changed.I think your safest option would be to buy in Thailand OR MAYBE stop-over port nearer to Asia (Dubai/Abu Dhabi for example). I hope you get whats needed and good luck :o

Chris

Hi LOR

Although I am no expert,I looked into same problem some time ago and I think that Uk items come pre-installed with 'local'(UK) maps that can't be changed.I think your safest option would be to buy in Thailand OR MAYBE stop-over port nearer to Asia (Dubai/Abu Dhabi for example). I hope you get whats needed and good luck :o

My Garmin Street Pilot came already preloaded with the Thai maps. In the package there was also a disk for USA maps along with a Garmin to computer connecting cable for downloading. There was a warning that said any download of the USA maps would overwrite the Thai maps. I think you are better off buying the unit here. Though you might be able to have Garmin (Thailand) download Thai maps for you if you brought the machine from somewhere else. In my package there was also a registration card that promised updates.

• 1 month later...

I recently got myself a GPS 10 which works with most Bluetooth enabled Palm and Windows PDAs, just install the software, stick the little box on your dash and away you go. brilliant little gadget.

By the way, only costs 10K if you've got a PDA already.

Corkscrew

Did you use your NAVSAT to find those two ladyboys for a snapshot or where they invited by your misses??

:D

Not ladyboys.

LOL, those "ladies" are taller and have bigger hands than I do

I thought I was the only one that noticed... :o

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Went to Bang Saen yesterday evening for dinner wit friends. After turning off the main road (sukhumvit) there was a massive jam all the way to the beach. Dived into a little soi, and it helped up by pass everything. On the way out, same thing. It really proved its worth that evening.

Today did alot of driving around bangkok look for houses / apartments , and once more it was great. Takes you mind off having to read the signs.

Initially when I bought it, it was a bit of a novelty, but its really becoming a usefull tool. Far more than I expected.

Edited by skippybangkok

Went to Bang Saen yesterday evening for dinner wit friends. After turning off the main road (sukhumvit) there was a massive jam all the way to the beach. Dived into a little soi, and it helped up by pass everything. On the way out, same thing. It really proved its worth that evening.

Today did alot of driving around bangkok look for houses / apartments , and once more it was great. Takes you mind off having to read the signs.

Initially when I bought it, it was a bit of a novelty, but its really becoming a usefull tool. Far more than I expected.

I totally agree. My wife has a lot of close family and when I drop her off at one of her family's more remote homes for a visit I can easily find my way back to our place by just pushing the "home" button.

Still happy with it here too - especially out of the city.

We've used it to drive from BKK to Phuket, Kanchanaburi and Koh Chang with no problems. Routing to a hotel in Koh Chang automatically sends you to the ferry port on the mainland first - nice touch!

Using it extensively around Khao Yai, I was also impressed with how many small roads/dirt tracks were included. Well, I might not have been so impressed if I hadn't been in the 4x4...

It did try to send us into the River Kwai at one point however, but that was the only major routing error I can think of.

Does anyone know if there's a map update? I'm still using the original maps that came with it when I bought it (last summer IIRC).