Owning an island

dazdaz

Hi,

I've long had a fantasy (non-sexual) about owning an island in or *around* Thailand.  Forget lord of the manor, how about lord of an island.

I would assume it's almost impossible, but some must surely go on sale, for how much, does a business ownership allow a farang to "own the land", what are there stipulations/legality's over islands, do all islands come under the closest countries legal legislation etc

What is the reality behind the dream if we were super rich.

Cheers  :o

• 2 months later...

Not quite the answer you are after, but I too have a dream of owning an island.  I have seen a couple of islands in south Thailand for sale. but these were crazy prices, like 500 million baht....

So I settled for a much cheaper option!  I bought a small island off the west coast of Greece, near to Zakynthos.  Its about 5 rai in area, and lies about 5 km from the nearest port/village, with shops, restairants etc.  Right now this island is completely undeveloped, but I have a long-term plan to install solar power etc and to build a nice holiday home - and then maybe sell the place for a load of bucks.

How much did this little jewel in a blue sea cost me to buy?  $20,000......

• 1 month later...
Not quite the answer you are after, but I too have a dream of owning an island.  I have seen a couple of islands in south Thailand for sale. but these were crazy prices, like 500 million baht....

So I settled for a much cheaper option!  I bought a small island off the west coast of Greece, near to Zakynthos.  Its about 5 rai in area, and lies about 5 km from the nearest port/village, with shops, restairants etc.  Right now this island is completely undeveloped, but I have a long-term plan to install solar power etc and to build a nice holiday home - and then maybe sell the place for a load of bucks.

How much did this little jewel in a blue sea cost me to buy?  $20,000......

great decision! I think about doing the same. Have been to Zakyntos a cpl of times. BUT still do not know IF I should invest in europe (where european union still will have the chance to charge me far too much for taxes) OR in asia.Anyway, I wish you the very best b-coz YOU did it and I am still thinking. Forward me exact address if you wish to do so......