registering marriage in UK

theoracle

I'm from Uk and wife is Thai, we got married in Thailand last year. Obviously the marriage is legal in the UK but when I went to the Brit embassy in Bangkok to register the marriage they said I need to do this in the UK at the Thai embassy in London and that they provide a service to include official translations of the marriage cert etc.

Anyone heard of this or done this? the wife will be coming to jon me here in the UK soon so she will need everything to be traceable and official to anyone in the UK who needs the info.

thanks guys

You should have the marriage papers legalized as true by the British embassy for use in the UK, and you can also have your marriage registered in the UK (If you do that before 1/1/2014). Alternatively you can have them legalized by the Thai embassy in London for use in the UK.

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-certificate-registry-service-discontinued-for-overseas-brits

Registration of the marriage is not required.

cheers mate, I went baclk to the British Embassy after we got married and the only thing they said I could do there is deposit the marriage certs with the GRO but that basically does nothing apart from allowing you to get a copy sholuld I lose mine.

They said that the Thai embassy do certified translation of the certificates in the UK, obviously there are occasions in the UK when an official translation of the ceretificates are needed so I was thinking more about that. I have tried to contact them without success but will call the Thai embassy again to see if I get through to someone more helpful.